This ARCHITECT - CONSULTANT position is a consultant-level role within Allstate Insurance. As an Architect - Consultan
This position is based within our Protection Technology group-the largest of four Allstate IT centers that designs and deploy
Primary responsibilities include:
- Providing guidance to the technology group for support activities, day-to-day architecture issues and resolution.
- Developing reference and application architectures consistent with the project's architecture blueprint.
- Driving architectural design requirements for a specific initiative and ensuring business requirements are met.
- Remaining knowledgeable of current architectures and the business conditions that drive their application.
- Recommending and promoting architectural designs and appropriate reference architecture use to development teams.
- Recommending tactical replacement solutions and/or sunset migration and refresh strategies for assigned project(s).
- Ensuring architecture/design quality by participating in design reviews and presenting projects to governance boards.
- Leading complex production support analysis and designing updates for applications architecture issues resolution.
- Developing architectural solution concepts and supporting development teams with high-level project estimation.
- Supporting vendor selection, analysis process and evaluating vendor architecture compatibility.
- Ensuring resources are engaged in projects.
The successful candidate should exhibit the following skills and abilities:
IT Architecture Methodologies - Mastery of architecture methodologies in difficult, practical applications without requiring su
IT Architecture - Understands most aspects of performance estimation with some exposure to tuning, and experience desig
Technology Industry Knowledge - Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of new technology and systems infrastructure impacts
Architecture Platform(s) Knowledge - Solid conceptual and business understanding of the platform(s) and related periphera
System Architecture - Detailed knowledge of system architectures which support an entire business area including busines
Internal Consulting - Able to work independently or lead a consulting team to identify issues and develop mitigation resolutio
IT Strategic Planning - Ability to prepare long-range project plans and has worked on a team responsible for strategic/long-
Allstate is widely recognized as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For in IT". Forbes, Fortune, BusinessWeek, Com
Allstate employs more than 4,000 information technology professionals that design and deliver innovative technology soluti
Make a difference with the "Good Hands" people.
1. Intermediate - IT Architecture Methodologies
2. Advanced - Architecture
3. Intermediate - Technology Industry Knowledge
4. Intermediate - Architecture Platform Knowledge
5. Intermediate - Systems Architecture, Internal Consulting, IT Strategic Planning
Overall experience should encompass portal application architecture design and Portal application development primarily fo
College Degree - Preferred
Major preference: Computer Science
llstate Insurance. As an Architect - Consultant, you will be responsible for contributing to the design and conceptual models on which applic
our Allstate IT centers that designs and deploys advanced technology for the #1 publicly traded property and casualty insurance carrier in the
y architecture issues and resolution.
ct's architecture blueprint.
g business requirements are met.
ons that drive their application.
nce architecture use to development teams.
refresh strategies for assigned project(s).
resenting projects to governance boards.
plications architecture issues resolution.
ms with high-level project estimation.
cult, practical applications without requiring support or instruction from others.
ome exposure to tuning, and experience designing architectures to support multiple applications.
echnology and systems infrastructure impacts including new technology evaluation, recommendation and implementation to meet project re
anding of the platform(s) and related peripheral components.
port an entire business area including business systems, networks, servers, platforms and databases.
identify issues and develop mitigation resolution strategies.
rked on a team responsible for strategic/long-range planning.
in IT". Forbes, Fortune, BusinessWeek, ComputerWorld, InformationWeek and Chicago magazines have also recognized us for our innov
esign and deliver innovative technology solutions for our businesses. We offer extensive benefits including major medical, dental, vision, tui
and Portal application development primarily focused on Portal Framework engineering and related conceptual abstractions. Knowledge of P
esign and conceptual models on which applications are based including the design, test and implementation of logical structures which applic
property and casualty insurance carrier in the U.S.
dation and implementation to meet project requirements.
gazines have also recognized us for our innovative and rewarding work environment.
fits including major medical, dental, vision, tuition reimbursement, 401k and pension plans.
ated conceptual abstractions. Knowledge of Portal standards: JSR 168 / WSRP and how they share the implementation space. Knowledge o
plementation of logical structures which applications and infrastructure are built.
hare the implementation space. Knowledge of Portal support for Web Services and Remote Portlets. Familiarity with Frameworks and Refer
ortlets. Familiarity with Frameworks and Reference Architectures as strategic foundations for the promotion of reuse, standardization, and ele
e promotion of reuse, standardization, and elevated quality in software development. Ability to understand, decompose and optimize compon
understand, decompose and optimize components of large, distributed systems. Strong understanding of XML-based technologies and J2EE
anding of XML-based technologies and J2EE patterns. Hands-on experience designing, and implementing n-tier application architectures. H
mplementing n-tier application architectures. Hands-on experience in Cross-platform application integration. 3+ years hands-on experience de
integration. 3+ years hands-on experience designing & developing high-performance, Java-based web applications. Global enterprise exper
sed web applications. Global enterprise experience highly desirable. 16-18 months experience with J2EE-based application s
with J2EE-based application s