The Story of the First
Making the Decision
• Truman has replaced Roosevelt
• Advisers told him about the top
• Should the United States use
the bomb to end the war against
• Invasion of Japan could cost
the United States 550,000 lives.
Making the Decision
• Some scientists on the
Manhattan Project wanted to
• Maybe drop it in a remote area.
• Several advisers kept this
information from Truman.
• Felt that it was right to proceed
with the plan to drop the bomb.
• Three reasons
A. Bring an end to the war
B. Keep the Soviet Union out
C. Test America’s new
• Enola Gay crew flew towards Japan.
• 8:15am, Japan time, Little Boy is dropped
• 70,000 people were killed in a flash of heat
• Copilot of the Enola Gay, “My God, what
have we done”
• Many scientists on the Manhattan Project
celebrated, but then became sick when
they found out how many lives were lost
On the Ground
• Destruction beyond imagining.
• 70,000 people died instantly.
• Many more died within hours
from severe burns
• 98% of the buildings were
A Second Bomb
• August 9, three days later, Fat
Man was dropped on Nagasaki
• Less devastating, 40,000 people
• Why a second bomb? Some
argue to see which bomb was
better. Others argue to get
Japan to surrender immediately.
• Full effects did not become
clear until survivors became
• Vomiting, diarrhea, hair fell out,
immune system damaged.
• Thousands more died months
after the bomb.
Was it the Right
• Some high-ranking military leaders
(Dwight Eisenhower) thought it was
• It did bring the war to an end.
• Allowing the Emperor of Japan to
remain would have made Japan
• Many Manhattan Project scientists
expressed concern about using a
weapon of such destructive power,
including Albert Einstein.
• Should the United States have
used the atomic bomb against
• Five paragraphs (Introduction
stating your stance, background
information paragraph, pro
paragraph, con paragraph,
• 50 points
• Blue/black pen or typed
• Spelling, punctuation, grammar.
• Use of notes from Power point
and notes given in class
• Due at the beginning of class