JOB DESCRIPTION FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION MANAGER
IAP2 Australasia is the professional association for people working in public
participation and community engagement in Australasia.
Our vision is “better decision making, stronger communities, active democracies.”
Our mission is “to advance the practice and be the leader in the field of public
participation through vibrant membership and dynamic learning.”
The organisation is a not for profit association with over 1,100 members. We deliver
a highly subscribed and valued training program including the IAP2 Certificate in
Public Participation and other courses across Australia and New Zealand. Our
members are committed to involving the community in decisions that affect their lives
and work in state and local government agencies, consulting companies and the
Based in Wollongong, this is a central finance & administrative role within IAP2. The
role is hands on and vital to the efficient running of the IAP2 operations. The role will
suit someone with a proven track record in finance, project management,
administrative & office management.
The role works closely with the Executive Director and will be responsible for
assisting with the corporate restructure of IAP2 and with working with the ED and
contractor staff to manage the transition from contract staff to employing a small and
professional team of operational staff.
The position is responsible to the Executive Director but works with all staff and
external advisers such as accountants, lawyers, consultants etc.
The role holder will be required to undertake regular travel between NSW and
Victoria during the first three months of the job in order to manage the transition from
contractor staff to a paid staff and office base in NSW.
A desire for continuous improvement will be required in all aspects of the role.
This is a new position and so the occupant is expected to be able to develop and
implement relevant systems and document and implement current and new
procedures. The position is also expected to draw together all administrative work
and work practices in a consultative and collaborative style.
Summary of Purpose of Position & Key Responsibilities
This position is responsible for ensuring that IAP2 Australasia operates at the
leading edge of operational efficiency and service quality whilst supporting the
Executive Director to deliver strategic and operational priorities.
Key responsibilities include
- Financial Management
- Project Management of the transition from contractor staff in Victoria to paid direct
employed staff and office establishment in NSW.
- Payroll Management
- Office & Administration Management
- Working closely with the Executive Director, the role has significant input into the
human resources, infrastructure, risk management & compliance, OHS, information
technology, & telecommunications functions.
- Developing, documenting and implementation of quality systems and processes.
- Contribution to IAP2 Strategy along with all staff
- Undertaking a project officer role on key projects as required.
The Finance & Administration Manager is responsible to the Executive Director.
The Finance & Administration Manager will work with the external Accountants and
Auditors as required
The position works with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility.
Detailed Role Description
Budgets and Management Reporting
- Preparation of management reports and actual against business plan & budget as
- Provide management reporting to Executive Director and Finance and Audit
- Prepare cash flow management processes.
- Manage processes to record & reconcile expenses against income and provide
regular management reporting.
Financial Processing (using MYOB)
- Process accounts payables, obtain payment authorities, record in MYOB & prepare
for payment, process online payments and record payments.
- Provide regular creditor reports.
- Prepare & send invoices to debtors as required, record in MYOB, follow
up debtors, maintain expected payment dates in cash flow spreadsheet, receive &
- Action regular reconciliations of all bank accounts & credit cards.
- Prepare accruals as required & record in MYOB.
- Maintain the Asset Register & Depreciation Schedule.
- Support preparation of BAS, Annual Audits & preparation of annual financial
statements working with the Treasurer, external accountants and auditors.
Payroll Management (using MYOB)
- Prepare fortnightly payroll, obtain approval and process to bank.
- Produce & issue payslips.
- Maintain all payroll records.
- Process leave records & accruals.
- Prepare & Pay associated payroll payments eg Workcover & superannuation.
- Prepare yearly Payroll reconciliations & PAYG Payment Summaries.
- Support all other employer payroll related requirements.
Office & Administrative Management Role
Be accountable for and manage the staff delivering the following functions:-
- the reception & front of house functions e.g. first point of contact services
- the physical infrastructure for the operations e.g. premises, equipment and assets.
- the administrative function e.g. records management, inwards & outwards
mail, purchasing, diary management.
Support for Management & Operational Functions
- Work with the Executive Director and other staff to contribute to development of the
- Work with the Executive Director and other staff to ensure systems and information
collection can contribute to management reporting and reporting against
Performance indicators in the Strategic Plan.
- Work with the Executive Director and other staff on preparation of budgets and
reviewing progress against budget.
Human Resource Management
- Work with the Executive Director to contribute to Human Resource Management
Issues including recruitment, induction, the planning and facilitation of training of staff
and development, job descriptions, conditions of employment, etc.
- HR Record Keeping
- Work with the Executive Director on risk management, disaster recovery &
- Work with the Executive Director to assess, arrange & review all insurance cover.
- Process claims & maintains appropriate records.
- Work with the Executive Director to ensure compliance with sector requirements.
- Support annual audits & returns.
Manage appropriate and effective information technology systems that support
IAP2 programs, staff and services by:
- Contributing to the development, review and implementation of an IT
- Providing continuous support for internal computer systems including liaison with
external Network Administrator and ISP
- Ensuring appropriate backup processes
- Identifying weaknesses within established systems and proposing solutions
- Communicating IT standards and requirements to team and staff training
to best utilise established systems
- Reviewing & Recommending enhancements for existing hardware and
- Manage & reviews telecommunications
Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare
Contribute to IAP2’s occupational, health and safety responsibility by:
- Communicating and updating OHS&W responsibilities, policies and
procedures to all staff;
- Providing advice on OHS&W matters including those impacting on
contractors, volunteers and visitors
- Ensuring the Executive Director as the “responsible officer” under the legislation, is
promptly informed of any serious or reportable OHS&W matters
- Ensuring, as far as practicable, a hazard free work environment and a
proactive approach to injury management;
- Identifying OHS&W training needs
- Assisting with any OHS&W audit, data collection or investigation
- Ensuring office resources are maintained in safe working condition;
- Identifying and addressing building, equipment, safety and security issues,
- Facilitating all emergency arrangements and activities;
- Participating on any required formal OH&S meetings.
- Staff must take reasonable care to protect staff own health and safety at
Project Officer Role
- Take responsibility for the project management of the transition from contract
administrative staff based in Victoria to the establishment of an office base and paid
staff profile in NSW
- Undertake a project officer role on other key projects as agreed.
- Work with all staff to ensure efficiency and effectiveness and continuous
improvement of all systems & services including preparation of procedures and
documentation as required.
- Work with the Executive Director on up to date policies and procedures.
Other Duties Coincidental to the Position
- Duties for this position should not be considered definitive. Duties may be
added, deleted or modified in consultation with the incumbent as necessary. Job
descriptions and staff performances will be reviewed regularly.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Post Secondary Qualification in Business Administration, Accounting or
Management preferably at Certificate IV or above.
- Demonstrable experience in a similar role in a non profit, membership or training
environment or small to medium business environment with 5-10 years experience in
finance, administration and payroll
- Demonstrable supervisory experience of administrative staff
- Experience in the development of positions, systems and procedures
- Experience in project management
- Experience in IT administration working with IT professionals
- Demonstrated experience leading improvement initiatives
- Good understanding of accounting principles including accrual accounting,
reconciliations, general ledger journals, preparedness to learn more complex
- Proficient high level user of MYOB
- Good understanding of HR management administration and OHS administration
- A high level of knowledge and competency in Microsoft Office especially Word &
- Confidence with use of computer networks.
Personal Qualities/Skills/Aptitudes – For this Position
- Commitment to the values of IAP2 and respect for the different contribution of
individuals within the staff team
- Well presented, good communication and negotiation skills.
- Commitment to professional development,
- Can communicate effectively with a wide range of people.
- Experience in providing general support in a small team, and an experienced team
- Can work autonomously, effectively managing workload without continual guidance
- Energetic, willing and ‘can-do’ attitude
- Ability to analyse situations and take corrective actions
- Excellent quality, attention to detail, & organisational skills
- Excellent numeric skills
- Commitment to process of continuous improvement.
The salary for this position will be $55,000 -$60,000plus super.
If you require a copy of the above Job Description please contact
HOW TO APPLY
Applications close on 4th January 2012
Interviews will be conducted in early January.
Please send a CV and statement of capacity which addresses each of the
requirements listed in the Job Description to