IMMIGRATION ADVISORY SERVICE
JOB TITLE Casework Team Leader - Advice Unit
RESPONSIBLE TO Area Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR Immigration Caseworkers
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
1) Assist the Area Manager in the management of the advice unit and the area office
for which responsibility is given and the direction, supervision, appraisal,
assessment and training of staff; outreach work and collation of statistics in order
to ensure that IAS operational targets are achieved with maximum efficiency and
Legal Quality Assurances standards are complied with.
To act as the overall supervisor having responsibility for the advice unit and
where appropriate to deputise for the area manager and to attend operations
meetings as directed - (Approximately 50% of time).
2) To perform the role of an Immigration Caseworker to conduct the advisory,
welfare and representational functions of the Service; to assist clients as directed
without discrimination as to race, colour, creed, age, sex, disability or prospects of
success - (Approximately 50% of time).
1. Manage staff in the regional office(s) for which responsibility is given, including
annual appraisals, casework and forensic advocacy supervision in accordance with
Legal Services Commission, IAS Procedure Manual and Legal Policy Guidelines
requirements, on-going assessment and training, disciplinary and grievance
procedures and all other line-management functions.
2. Assisting the Area Manager to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the
offices at all times, including allocating support work and arranging temps and
locums in consultation with Line Managers, Regional Managers and the Human
Resources/Finance Department as appropriate.
3. Having the main responsibility for the advice operations of the office, ensuring the
smooth running of the advice unit and drop in services including maintaining an
adequate flow of work into the office, and ensuring that procedures are reviewed
and implemented on a regular basis under the direction of the Area Manager.
4. Collect and collate statistics for the offices on a monthly basis or as required by
the Line Manager. Ensure that such statistics are accurate and meet deadlines for
5. Act as first point of contact for legal queries from operational staff in regional
6. Review decisions taken by Caseworkers in relation to their legal performance.
7. Organise and chair staff meetings as required by the Line Manager, and ensure
that all legal staff are kept apprised of new legal developments
8. Ensure that the employer's obligations under health and safety, employment law
and other regulations are observed.
9. Actively promote and implement the IAS Equal Opportunities Policy.
10. Deputise for the Area manager as required.
11. Undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required by the Line Manager
and Regional Director.
12. Interview and advise clients regarding immigration/asylum law, procedure, and
practice. Provide guidance to clients on completion of documents.
13. Draft witness statements, skeleton arguments, representations and other complex
documents and letters using word-processor in order to assist clients with their
immigration and asylum problems
14. To undertake representation at court as required, but always ensuring that the
operation and management of the advice unit and advice related services is
15. Liaise with immigration authorities, other agencies, and groups as required.
16. Undertake outreach work as required by Line Manager, including liaising with
ethnic communities, delivering talks and presentations to groups, and visiting
other groups and centres as appropriate.
17. Keep up-to-date at all time with changes in immigration/asylum law by reading,
attending training events and using computer for reference purposes.
18. Complete IAS forms and maintain statistics as required
19. Maintain professional conduct and uphold the integrity and reputation of IAS at
20. Undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required
All employees of IAS have a duty to -
Work within the spirit of IAS Equal Opportunities Policy at all times
Take due care of their own health and safety and that of others in their working
Ensure that their work conforms to IAS standards of accuracy and quality
Casework Team Leader (Advice Unit)
Immigration Advisory Service
1 Knowledge Essential Desirable How
and abilities assessed
LLB or Law related degree Qualified as a solicitor A
Extensive knowledge of A/I/T
Immigration and Asylum law
Extensive knowledge of LSC A/I
contracts and requirements in
relation to Immigration and
Fully accredited to LSC level A/I/T
2 and Supervisor level and
Registered or exempt at OISC
Ability to coach and provide A/I/T
professional guidance to team
Ability to manage and A/I/T
motivate team members to
achieve the best performance
Professional communication A/I/T
skills both written and oral
Professional organisational A/I/T
Proven interpersonal skills A/I
Sensitivity to other cultures A/I/T
and issues raised by
Ability to self service and A/I/T
experience of Word (or similar
WP package), email and
Ability to formulate and A/I/T
implement procedures to
improve ways of working
Minimum of 1 years A/I
experience of managing and
supervising staff in a legal
Minimum of 2 year’s A/I
experience of working to LSC
Quality Assurance Standards
(Specialist Quality Mark)
Minimum of three year’s full A/I/T
time experience of
immigration and asylum legal
advice and representation,
covering all heads of policy
under the immigration rules
At least 2 year’s
in a legal / advice
Experience of A/I/T
representing clients at
Ability and willingness to A/I
travel to other locations
throughout the UK as required
A = Application Form T = Test I = Interview