MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD 11 January
SUBJECT: Minutes of the Wuerzburg Armed Forces Retiree Council/Sub Council of
1. The Wuerzburg Armed Forces Retiree Council/Sub Council of Schweinfurt convened at the
"Zum Kirschbaum" Gast Haus in Rottendorf, 1900 hours, 19 November 2008. Mr. Billy
Barber, President, called the meeting to order.
a. Council Officers Present:
(1) Mr. Billy Barber - President
(2) Mr. James Engstrom - Secretary
(3) Mr. Robert Heafey - Council Member
(4) Mr. Sidney Jenkins - Council Member
(5) Ms. Hildegard Henry - Council Member
(6) Mr. D.W. Hope - Council Member
b. Council Officers excused:
(1) Mr. Charles Deso - Vice President
(2) Mr. Donald Pezel - Council Member
(3) Mr. Otis Keith - Council Member
c. Additionally 23 persons attended the council meeting including retirees, spouses and
2. Old Business: The minutes of the last council meeting were read by Mr. Engstrom and
3. New Business:
a. We welcomed Ms. Esther Ringo, a new comer, to our meeting this evening. Esther´s
husband, SFC(R) Eugene Ringo, passed away this passed February. Some of you might
have remembered Eugene as he worked with the PX facilities in Wuerzburg.
b. Mr. Barber talked on the new TRICARE Dental program in Europe.
c. Mr. Engstorm handed out an updated copy of the "Keep In Touch" telephone number
listings. Attendees were told to add Ms. Esther Ringo´s number to their list.
d. Customs Pink Card: If you are unable to get to the Zoll Amt for a monthly payment,
anyone can make the payment for you, by using your pink card. If anyone wishes to
transfer to another Zoll Amt (i.e., Wuerzburg to Schweinfurt) you must turn in your old pink
card to the Zoll Amt you was using, acquire a new customs certificate, to be presented to the
new Zoll Amt and you will be issued a new pink card.
e. Mr. Mike Swafford, President Schweinfurt Retiree Council, talked on the 5.8% Cost of
Living Allowance increase and on the increase to 17.5% tax we now have to pay on customs
at the Zoll Amt. Mike also had a list of 31 retirees who have not updated their mailing
address (still showing Wuerzburg APO). The list was read to the attendees and were asked
to inform anyone, they knew from the list, to update their mailing address, if not, they will
no longer receive the monthly Retiree Newsletter from Schweinfurt.
f, Mr. Charles Glover, Assistant to the CAO of Schweinfurt, has completed a new
Casualty Assistance Guide booklet for the Schweinfurt area. A copy was given to Mr. Barber
and Mr. Engstrom. This guide will be reviewed and discussed at the January Schweinfurt
Retiree Council Meeting. Mr. Glover also talked on SBP Alien Tax, SBP and DIC, paid up
SBP, International Direct Deposit and the issuance of the new German Tax Number.
4. The meeting was adjourned at 2010 hours.
5. The next meeting will be held on 21 January at the "Zum Kirschbaum" Gast Haus
in the town of Rottendorf. Meeting to start at 1900 hours.