Depletion of Natural Capitals
By Buzz Pfeiffer
• Heavy burdens on natural resources
• Depletion increase with population growth
• Societies fail = destruction of social and
•First settlement- Polynesian
•1600’s =no trees
•Warfare and strife prevailed
•1722-1770 European arrival
Where did the trees go?
• Farmers clearing
• To move the statues
• Personal resources
What happens with out trees?
•Find new places
• Severe Deforestation
• 1923- 60%
• 1954- Charcoal demand
• 2006- 98%-99%
Sugar /coffee production
Clear depiction of Deforestation
Effects of Deforestation
• Worsens drought, leads to desertification
• Agricultural productivity
• Damages…dams, irrigation, roads…..
• 15000 acres lost annually
Deforestation of Haiti
• Water deficit-104%
• Population 1 billion
• 2050 pop. ~2billion
• 80% gets food from agricultural
Look out India!
• To provide our audience with the understanding
that fresh water, forests and the biodiversity they
supply are already under considerable stress.
• We wish to accomplish an educated
understanding for our audience that as the
human population grows greater stress will be
applied to the earths natural resources.
• The audience should know that as population
increases resource deficits become larger
populations can fail (crash).