Atlantic Sea kayaking
Started in 1992
because I didn’t want a job.
2 Heads are better than 1
Where are all the customers.
• The product being offered was great.
• Unfortunately no one knew about us.
• Depression was hovering in the background.
• We came from the love of the activity.
• Jim found it difficult to sell it as it was so
personal to him.
• He undervalued the service.
YOU PUT YOUR OWN VALUE ON YOURSELF,
So we upped our price, and
• We found that people valued us a lot more.
• We became more confident.
• We had a bit more cash so we could
reinvest in equipment.
• We attended some trade fairs and
• We used obvious media:
newspapers , posters, brochures, direct
contacts, targeted letters.
Did it work?
• It was very difficult to tell.
• We tried to track where bookings were coming from.
• We soon became aware that word of mouth was very
effective marketing as was the personal approach.
• So we called in past contacts and began to canvass
• We got a web site up and running, this was 12 years ago
so it was a rare and expensive thing to do then.
• We also started cold calling on similar web sites ,
introducing ourselves and inviting them to kayak with us.
• We discovered publicity breeds publicity
Attractive and interesting offers
• We then tried to be creative with our offers .
• We tried to partner with other businesses
• We tried to be different to others
• We tried to grab peoples imaginations.
• We tried to capitalise on our strengths.
• We tried to make the weather a plus rather than a
• We used descriptive and friendly wording.
• E.g. Roaring water Bay versus Carbery’s Hundred Isles
We then decided it was time to
try and join some bigger and
more organised tourism bodies
We had done all we could alone.
• We decided to try and start
• The obvious one was Failte
Even though I had Kayaked for many years at
I had to get recognition and qualifications.
This took me about 10 years to get to where I felt happy
I am now qualified with the Irish Canoe Union ,
The British Canoe Union
The Canoe Association of Northern Ireland .
Begins one hour before darkness
Open all year round..
Some of the publicity we get.
Out Door Enthusiast Magazine
8 page report and pictures of trip to Blaskets with a Japenese group.
On Japenese sea kayaking magazine.
World Top 10 most exciting alternative holiday
cited ‘Kayaking in West Cork’
as one of the reason’s for selecting Ireland
as the top destination to visit in the world!!
Inbound & Outbound
Decided that our season was too short and
we needed to eat in the winter as well.
Spain, Venice, Martha's
Vineyard Baja, Mexico ,Croatia
Population was too small.
Move to the
Venice of Ireland
Partnerships are critical.
• Failte Ireland • Port Authorities.
• Northern Ireland • Boardwalk
• Chamber of • Clarion Hotel
The real future.
• No matter how much we plan.
• No matter how much we complain.
• No matter how much we market .
• No matte how paranoid we are about
• There is one vital component without
which there is no future.
Thank you for listening.