NAME: ____________________________ DATE: _________________________
SOCIAL STUDIES OUTLINE (CH. 7) ST. KATHERINE OF SIENA
A. PA had many resources for growth in industry.
1. Industry is the making, selling, and moving of goods, products, or service.
2. Without industrial growth we would no progress.
3. There are two parts to industry.
- making __________________________________________________________
- providing a service to fix the product.
B. A Good Transportation system is needed.
1. Transport means to move ___________________________________________
2. Before the 1800s the only way to travel on land was by foot, horseback, or horse-
3. Boats could only travel downstream.
4. The geography made it hard to develop a good transportation system.
C. The Conestoga Wagon
1. Played an important part in the development of PA and US.
- the only wagon strong enough to ______________________________________
- Ferry-boat- crossing were ____________________________________________
- one famous crossing was the Harris Ferry, used to cross Susquehanna River.
- 1795, the first stone surfaced road was built between Lancaster and Philadelphia.
- Turnpike-a road in which ____________________________________________
D. The Canal Story
1. A Canal is a waterway _______________________________________________
2. The most famous canal was the PA Main Line Canal between Pittsburgh and
3. The PA Main Line Canal was not ______________________________________
- railroads were used to connect waterways.
- the mountains created a problem.
- the Allegheny Portage was a special railroad built over the mountains.
- portage means _____________________________________________________
- it took 28 hours to complete the trip to Pittsburgh.
- the canal was outdated by the time it was finished.
PA develops its Industries in the 1800s.
1. John Fitch of Phila, built and operated the first steamboat along the Delaware
a. It was not ________________________________________________________
2. Robert Fulton of Lancaster County developed the first profitable steamboat in 1807.
a. In 1812 he built the New Orleans that traveled from Pittsburgh to New Orleans on
the Mississippi River.
- this allowed Pittsburgh and Western PA to develop trade with many cities along
1. Railroad- long cars that were __________________________________________
2. Locomotive- engines that _____________________________________________
3. Oliver Evans of Phila invented and used the first steam locomotive in our sate.
a. It could travel on land and water.
4. 1829, the first steam locomotive to run on American tracks was brought from England.
a. The locomotive had to wait for the railroads to be built with iron tracks.
5. Matthias Baldwin built the first ____________________________________________
6. Railroad building became a big industry during the 1830s.
a. More than 300 railroads companies formed in PA.
b. PA Railroad Company became the world’s largest railroad company by buying
7. By 1839, travelers could ride in a sleeping car.
8. Railroads helped to increase trade in our state.
a. They tied cities and farming regions together.
C. PA Develops its Natural Resources.
1. Iron Ore
a. Discovered in Western PA in colonial days.
b. PA was the leader in iron production for most of the 1800s.
c. To make iron products the iron ore was melted
- charcoal- a wood product used ________________________________________
- coke- a product made from soft coal was used ____________________________
d. Blacksmiths made farm tools and wagon equipment.
e. Factories made iron rails and locomotives.
2. Hard Coal
a. Found in northeastern PA
- produce steam to move railroads, ships, and machinery.
2. Soft Coal
a. Found in western PA.
b. 1800 it was an important industry around Pittsburgh.
c. Became important in making iron products.
a. PA was a leader in lumber production through most of the 1800s.
- build wagons, ships, steamboats, canal boats, homes, and furniture.
c. Williamsport became the largest lumber city in U.S.
5. Rock Oil
1. Scientists discovered that it could be refined (made into) a fuel foe lamps.
2. PA led the nation in oil production until 1890.
3. Samuel Kier
a. Bottled the oil to cure illnesses.
b. Built the _________________________________________________________
4. Edwin Drake
a. Drilled the first oil well at Oil Creek near Titusville
D. Farm Life
1. 600,000 people lived in PA.
a. 9 out of 10 (about 540,000) worked on a small farm.
2. The change to iron tools took almost 20 years.
3. Many farms tools and machines were improved after 1840.
a. The improved tools and machines allowed farmers to prepare, plant, and harvest their
E. From Home Industry to Large Factories.
1. During the 1850s many businesses built factories to produce products on a larger
2. Industrial Revolution.
a. Many people changed from farming life to an industrial (factory) life.
- they were paid a wage (money for their work).
b. The Textile Industry was one of the first industries to change to large scale production.
- textile- clothing _________________________________________________________
- PA led the nation in textile production by 1900.