THE MINUTES of the MUSCULAR DYSTROPY CANADA GREATER VANCOUVER

Document Sample
THE MINUTES of the MUSCULAR DYSTROPY CANADA GREATER VANCOUVER Powered By Docstoc
					                             MINUTES
      MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY CANADA GREATER VANCOUVER CHAPTER
                   EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
                MONDAY, MAY 9, 2011, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
           SEARS COMMUNITY ROOM – METROTOWN, BURNABY


PRESENT:       Bhupinder Bains       Treasurer & CSF Coordinator
               Jim Burrows           Member-At-Large
               Krista Wong           Secretary
               Marilyn Watson        Co-Chair & Membership
               Meredith Scott        Member-At-Large
               Michael Wan           Website Content Administrator
               Michelle Joo          Member-At-Large
               Monica Gartner        Communications
               Rosemarie Odria       Member-At-Large
               Vicki Kwong           Co-Chair

REGRETS:       Danny Cheung          Member-At-Large
               Fatima Benlarhzal     Member-At-Large

Call to order
The meeting was called to order at 6:46 pm.

Agenda
The agenda for the May 9th, 2011 meeting was moved by Jim and seconded by Michelle.

Minutes – April 4, 2011
The minutes of the April 4th, 2011 meeting was moved by Jim and seconded by Michael.

Matters Arising from the Minutes of the April 4, 2011 Meeting
Vicki stated that there is a list of movies on Facebook for people to vote on the movie of their
choice. We are also discussed about helping two kids with muscular dystrophy and advertise
their situation on Facebook and Twitter after they become members with our organization.
These actions will show that we reach out to our community.

Build Stakeholder Base
Social Event – Movie Night
Movie night has been slated for June 4th, 2011 at 7 pm. Michelle and Rosemarie will be helping
out at that event. The location will be at Vicki’s apartment building.

Action: Monica to make Facebook event invitation to all Facebook members for movie night.

Action: Marilyn to send out invitations for movie night by using www.evite.com.

Fundraising Event – Poker Tournament
Poker night has been slated for September 17, 2011. Karen Coulson wants us to start getting a
license for our poker event so we need to stop asking for donations. The sooner we get the
license (which will take 10 weeks), the sooner we can begin advertising our event. We all
agreed that the grand prize winner should receive about $700 worth of prizes and the second
place winner should receive about $300. We also need consistent colors for our poker sets so
we can set the value of each chip color. Red, blue, and green are the chosen chip colors.

Action: Vicki and Marilyn to talk to Karen about prizes for poker night.

Fundraising Event – Lane Sale
The lane sale will be on the same day as the movie night, June 4th, 2011, but from 9am – 1 pm.
Meredith, Vicki, Jim, Krista, Marilyn, and possibly Danny, Bhupinder, and Fatima will be helping
out at the event. Vicki will hold a Crafts Night at her place on May 20th, 2011 at 7 pm to make
signs for our garage sale. We should have all advertisements out by May 15th, 2011.

Action: Monica to advertise the garage sale on our Facebook page and Twitter by May 15th,
2011.

Action: Bhupinder to get another $25 or $50 gift card for hotdogs at Safeway.

Improve Information Services
Turningwheels Newsletter (Spring Edition)
Monica stated that the spring edition has been sent and mailed out.

Turningwheels Newsletter (Fall Edition)
Monica stated that she is gathering information for the newsletter and will try to get it out
before the poker night so we can advertise the event in the newsletter. She suggested that the
newsletter be mailed out by the end of August. We can also advertise for the Christmas Party
at that time far in advance so it will give people enough time to reserve that day.

Action: Monica will write an article about the MD forum that was held at the end of March.

Action: Anyone to send recipes for the newsletter.

Facebook and Twitter
Monica stated that we currently have 53 members on our Facebook page. Rosemarie will
correspond with Monica so that she can help out with the regular Facebook and Twitter
updates to keep our members informed about what we are up to.

Web Updates
Michael will put up a web update about our upcoming movie night and yard sales.

Financial Growth
End of March Financials

According to the Regional Office, in March the Chapter raised $180 for General Fundraising and
$25 from Memberships, a total of $205. Our Chapter Expenses for March were $1,169, leaving
a deficit of $964 for Funds Available for Mission.
For the last fiscal year, April, 2010 to March 31, 2011, our Revenue totaled $6,379, with
Expenses of $2,164, leaving a total Funds Available for Mission of $4,215. Our Mission
Expenses were $500 for Recreational, Social and Support Activities, and $1106 from our
Community Services Fund, leaving a Surplus for the Year of $2,609.

Action: Bhupinder to review the financials and develop a better method of accounting for our
revenues and expenses so she is able to reconcile more effectively with Regional’s monthly
statements.

CSF
Vicki made a motion that we contribute funds for a client that would go towards providing a
$1574.40 bath lift. Marilyn seconded and Bhupinder thirded.

Personal Mobility Give Back
Vicki stated that we cannot seem like we are endorsing Personal Mobility so we have to
advertise them in a way that seems like we are suggesting an alternative that wheelchair users
may be interested in.

Public Awareness
Expos/Workshops
Vicki suggested that we be more involved in the community by representing our chapter at
expos and workshops.

Membership
Marilyn stated that the total amount of members is more than 107, of which 30 are under 16
and 192 are older than 16. She found 7 members that were not on her list, but on the
regional’s list.

Board Function
The new committee members introduced themselves to the board. Rosemarie and Meredith
will not be officially on the board until they are elected at the AGM on September 25, 2011
from 1-3 pm. They hold the positions of Members-At-Large. We need to get notice out three
weeks prior to the AGM so more people will show up this year.

Action: Vicki to book venue for AGM.

Other Business
Projector Screen
Vicki stated that the regional office gave us approval for the purchase of the projector screen
for movie night. The screen was purchased from craigslist for about $90.

Walk for MD
This event has been slated for September 10, 2011 at Jericho Beach.
Next Meeting
The next meeting has been slated for June 6th, 2011 at 6:30 pm at the Sears Community Room,
in the Metrotown Shopping Centre, Burnaby, BC.

Adjournment
Meeting adjourned at 8:36 pm.

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:0
posted:7/30/2012
language:
pages:4