I. Основы теории изучаемого языка. Лексикология.
II. Основы теории изучаемого языка. Теоретическая грамматика
Основы теории изучаемого языка.
Introduction to Modern English Lexicology
• Galina Anatolievna Vasiltsova, Translator/University Lecturer/ Instructor
• Institute of International Education and Communications
• e-mail: email@example.com
• Web-site: http://www.translantida.narod.ru
• ICQ#: 400-445-595
• Teacher’s requirements
• Other materials
• Course structure
• To study the problems of the up-to-date vocabulary study of the English language and
learn modern applying techniques to analyze language units.
• Grand total: 72 h.
• 28 h. lectures, 8 seminars, 36 hours of independent work.
• Regular attendance and timely performance of assignments are expected.
• Final assessment is carried out in a form of pass/fail test, which includes answering
questions orally and a written final test, performed prior.
• Антрушина Г. Б. и др. Лексикология английского языка. М., 1999
• Аракин В.Д. Очерки по истории английского языка. М., 1955г
• Арнольд И.В. Лексикология английского языка. М., 1973
• D.Crystal. The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language
• http://www.cooper.com/alan/homonym_list.html an extensive list of homonyms
http://www.etymonline.com/ online etymology dictionary
• http://www.idiomsite.com/ historical information and explanation about the idioms
• http://www.neologisms.us/ the internalational dictionary of neologisms
• http://www.wordorigins.org/ devoted to the origins of words and phrases( etymology)
• http://www.wordspy.com the site devoted to neologisms, includes sources and
• http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/experts.html the Web's most authoritative
• You are required to have handouts (including lecture plans, support materials and
assignments for seminars) for each lesson. The handouts are available in the
downloadable electronic form (.pdf, .doc) and/or in the printed version as a booklet.
• Out-of-class language analysis problems, class observations, work with textbooks and
exercises will be assigned on a regular basis.
• Self-study texts and assignments (with or without keys) can be found in the booklet and
on www.translantida.narod.ru in the downloadable form.
• There will be assignment for each topic, which you are supposed to perform on a timely
Lecture I. Introduction.
– The object of lexicology
– Problems of the study of words
– How to study words and their properties.
Lecture II. The system of English vocabulary
• 2.1 General characteristics of English vocabulary
• 2.2 Stylistic characteristics of the English language
• 2.3 Changes in English vocabulary
• 2.4 The etymology of English words
Lecture III. The problems of a word meaning. Semantic characteristics of the English
• 3.1 Definition of meaning
• 3.2 The structure of meaning, types of meaning
• 3.3 Polysemy
• 3.4 Changes of meaning
• 3.5 Homonymy
• 3.6 Synonymy, antonymy
Lecture IV. Morphological characteristics of English words. Word-building.
• 4.1 Morphological structure of the English word. Types of morphemes
• 4.2 Structural types of English words
• 4.3 Word building
Lecture V. Word combinations. Phraseology.
• 5.1 Free and bound (phraseological) word combinations
• 5.2 Classifications of phraseological units
• 5.3 Origin of set expressions
Lecture VI. National variants of the English language. American English.
See additional information here: