Call for evidence into the home insulation sector
Housing and local authorities
The OFT is gathering information on the home insulation industry. The questions
below set out the main issues on which we are seeking your input.
Please send your response by 2 May 2012 to email@example.com .
For explanations on how we may use information provided and how we deal with
confidential information go to http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/markets-work/energy-
1. Please provide a brief summary of the insulation measures you have installed
under CESP/CERT. Please include information on:
The number and type of properties that were insulated under CESP/CERT;
Whether you were the property owner;
The type of insulation (e.g. cavity wall, solid wall, loft);
How the insulation was funded (e.g. funding from energy companies under
CESP/CERT, additional government and own funds).
2. If you were not the property owner, what was your role in promoting the insulation
measures? Did you partner with other organisations?
3. How did you choose the contractor that carried out the insulation? Do you tend to
use a single contractor or a range of different contractors?
4. What was the price of the insulation measures? How much was paid by you
versus other funding sources? If this varied significantly across different properties,
please give an estimate of the range. Do you consider that the overall price of the
installation under CERT/CESP was comparable to the costs of installation outside of
5. Were you able to secure quotes from different installers? Did you get separate
quotes for installation work and insulation material?
6. Did you choose the insulation material or did you leave the decision to the
7. Do you have any concerns about competition in the insulation market or the ability
of consumers to get a good deal?
8. Please provide your views on the effect on the market of government schemes
(such as CERT and CESP), and environmental and building regulations. What effect
do you expect from the introduction of the Green Deal?