"An Introduction to Service-Learning" TED7300
Assignment: Session #2
"An Introduction to Service-Learning"
Service-Learning Project Planning Guide annotated
Instructor’s e-mail: email@example.com
NOTE FROM INSTRUCTOR:
Directions: the following questions will walk you through the Process of
developing your own Service-Learning Project. If you need further elaboration
about the questions, you can either refer to the Sessions listed by the question, or
look at the Annotated Service-Learning Project Planning Guide.
This is your Final Assignment, due after Session #8.
District : School :
Teacher : Course :
1/ what knowledge and skills am I teaching? (Sessions 1 and 2)
* WHAT IS MY COURSE CURRICULUM?
* WHAT CONTENT IS IN MY COURSE DESCRIPTION?
* WHAT CONTENT & PERFORMANCE STANDARDS DO MY STUDENTS NEED TO LEARN?
2/ what is the social issue? (Sessions 1 and 2)
* WHAT CONTEMPORARY ISSUE OR SOCIAL PROBLEM IS AT THE HEART OF MY SERVICE
3/ what is the service-activity? (Sessions 3 and 4)
* HOW WILL MY STUDENTS' SERVICE ACTIVITIES MEET AN IMPORTANT, UNMET COMMUNITY
* HOW DO BOTH I AND MY STUDENTS KNOW THAT WE ARE MEETING REAL COMMUNITY
4/ what organization is my service partner? Who is the contact? What is the
address and phone? (Sessions 3 and 4)
* WHAT COMMUNICATION MECHANISMS AM I SETTING UP WITH MY COMMUNITY PARTNER?
* WHEN AND HOW WILL I CONTACT MY COMMUNITY PARTNER TO ENSURE GOOD
5/ How will I prepare my students for the tasks they'll perform in their service
activity? (Session 6)
* WHAT PRE-SERVICE ACTIVITIES DO I NEED TO PREPARE MY STUDENTS FOR THEIR SERVICE?
* WHAT SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE WILL MY STUDENTS NEED TO KNOW BEFORE THEY ENGAGE IN
6/ How will I educate my students to the needs of their community partner?
(Session 3 and 7)
* HOW WILL I FOCUS MY STUDENTS ON THE SERVICE AS OPPOSED TO THEIR OWN
* HOW WILL I DEVELOP ALTRUISM?
7/ what curricula/activities will I use to teach the social issue? (Sessions 1
* HOW WILL MY STUDENTS KNOW THAT THEIR SERVICE FITS INTO A LARGER SOCIAL
* HOW WILL MY STUDENTS KNOW THAT THEIR SERVICE CONNECTS WITH A LARGER SOCIAL
8/ How will I know that my students understand civic responsibility? (Relation
with community, Ownership of social issue, willingness to create change)
(Sessions 1, 2, and 7)
* HOW WILL MY STUDENTS SEE THEMSELVES AS PART OF A
* HOW WILL I KNOW THAT MY STUDENTS TAKE OWNERSHIP OVER THE
* HOW WILL I KNOW WHETHER MY STUDENTS SEE THEMSELVES AS
PART OF THE SOLUTION?
9/ What is necessary for risk management? (Session 6)
* HOW WILL I MANAGE TRANSPORTATION TO THE SERVICE SITE?
* WHAT AGREEMENTS WILL I NEED WITH MY SERVICE PARTNER?
* HOW WILL I NOTIFY PARENTS ABOUT THE SERVICE-LEARNING ACTIVITIES?
* WHAT SUPERVISION IS NEEDED FOR THE SERVICE PROJECT?
* HOW WILL I MANAGE POTENTIAL RISKS?
10/ How often, and using what strategies will I encourage students to reflect on
their service activity? (Session 5) (e.g., free or guided journal writing, small
group discussions, etc.)
Guided journal writing
Free (open) Journal writing
Whole Class Discussion
Small Group Discussion
Art Project Specify :
Performance Specify :
Other Specify :
11/ On which topics will my students have an opportunity to reflect? (Session 5)
(please check all that apply and/or add your own.)
Significance of the service-learning Experience.
The relationship of students’ academic
Skills and/or knowledge to the service activity.
How needs are defined and identified.
Feelings about their service experience.
Responsibilities of students to their communities
Feelings about service-recipients.
12/ How will I know whether my students have met their service-learning
objectives? (Session 8)
* THE FOLLOWING QUESTION ASKS THE TEACHER TO DECIDE HOW ASSESSMENT WILL TAKE
PLACE. THE FIRST COLUMN ASKS THE TEACHER, "WHAT IS BEING TAUGHT?" THE SECOND
COLUMN ASKS HOW THE TEACHER WILL ASSESS OR TEST THE NEW KNOWLEDGE OR
SKILL. THE THIRD COLUMN ASKS HOW THE TEACHER KNOWS THAT THE STUDENTS HAVE
LEARNED THE KNOWLEDGE (GIVEN THE STUDENTS A PASSING GRADE).
What tools or instruments did you
Which skills and knowledge did use to assess these? e.g. oral What criteria did you use
you attempt to assess? presentations, journal entries, to evaluate student
student-created lesson plans, achievement of these
tests, conversations with partners skills/knowledge?
about students' performance in
Timeline. My service-learning project will take place within the following time
Month Activity Time needed
Alameda County Service-Learning Partnership: Lesson Planning Guide 1999
Service-Learning Research & Development Center, University of California, Berkeley