QTAC PREPARATION 2008-9
SESSION 5 - THE APPLICATION PROCESS
POST YR 12 OPTIONS:
• STUDY FULL-TIME
• REPEATING YR 12
• GAP YEAR
• STUDENT EXCHANGE
• Check with the institution – not all
• Guaranteed deferment – you accept
the offer but reserve a place for the
• General deferment – your place is
not guaranteed – you have to apply
later and compete with all other
REASONS FOR DEFERRING:
• Can’t afford the cost yet and need to save.
• Need a break from study.
• Are unsure about your career path.
• Aren’t yet fully committed to Tertiary study.
(Remember, good GPA enables upgrading
but poor GPA can lead to Downgrading.)
• Need to gain more maturity / worldliness /
• If not guaranteed deferment, you may
miss an offer in that course when you
• The course may be discontinued in the
• You may lose continuity in study routine
or subject content.
• (You could take a semester off within
REPEATING YR 12:
• Quite uncommon these days as many
upgrade pathways exist.
• Most repeating students do better
than first time, but some do worse.
• You can do Internal Senior or
• You select and study 5 or 6 Yr 12
• Your new OP will be based only on
the repeat subjects.
• The previous Yr 11 and 12 subjects
will not be included.
• If your repeat OP is poorer, your
higher result will prevail.
• You select 5 subjects.
• All 5 are studied in one year or over
• You study by distance education (the
School of Distance Ed.) or
day/evening classes (e.g. Hubbards).
• Commitment – to more intense study
• Determination – to be more
• Strong Career ambitions or plans.
• Awareness that you are capable of
• Missing last year’s friends
• Getting bored dealing with last
• Another year of school discipline,
• Possibly dealing with less mature
CERTIFICATE IV - IN ADULT
• A 6 months intensive or 12 months
full-time course at TAFE.
• Must be turning 18 in the year of
• Starts in January and July each year.
• Motivation and determination is
essential for success.
• Special Tertiary Admissions Test.
• ‘Similar’ to QCS – but an adult version.
• Contact QTAC for details and to sit for
• Will only be used if it improves your
OTHER WAYS TO UPGRADE OR
GAIN ALTERNATIVE ENTRY:
THESE CAN BE COMBINED WITH OTHER
QUALIFICATIONS TO CONTRIBUTE TO AND
INCREASE YOUR RANK:
• Personal Competencies Statement
• Bridging and Preparatory courses.
• Special /mature age entry.
• Work history – e.g. defence forces,
apprenticeship, managerial roles, etc
• Page 19-42 in your QTAC Guide
OTHER WAYS TO GAIN
• E.g. The T.P.P. (Tertiary Preparation
Program) at U.S.C.:
• No O.P. needed.
• Study four subjects for one semester.
• If you pass, you are eligible for entry
to most USC degree programs.
• The T.P.P. course is free of charge!
(Twelve to Tertiary)
• All eligible students should apply.
• Situations can change between now and
January – keep your options open!
• You can always defer, change courses,
reject offers, etc.
• Select courses wisely as an uninteresting
course = poor motivation/lowered
• Interesting courses = motivation =
• You are responsible for making the application
– at home or school via the TTT method .
• The TTT service costs $26, it’s convenient and
can be revisited easily.
• Applicants pay online by credit card or get
• Application is not processed until bill is paid.
• You need to know your QSA number.
• Your 4 digit PIN number will be the day and
month of your birth.
• Record your new QTAC Application
number – to be used to access your
• Print off a copy of your ‘Application
Summary’ & ‘Confirmation of Lodgement’
– it confirms the success of your
• Additional qualifications (Cert.III,
Headstart Uni. subjects, Music, etc)
should be indicated and evidence sent to
APPLICANT ONLINE SERVICES
• Are available without charge.
• Ensure your application has been received
• Check or review your course preferences
before and after obtaining your OP.
• Respond to your offer.
• Keep all QTAC info. in your folder.
• If needing advice over the Christmas holidays,
contact QTAC or TACS (tertiary advice &
• Sept. 30 – last date for on-time applications.
• Oct. 1 – higher application fees from today.
• Dec. 19 – Yr 12 results mailed by QSA.
• You can still change preferences but they must
be completed 14 days before the offer round
(Jan 2 for Jan 15 major offer round).
• Jan. 16 – Offers mailed out & published in
• Jan. 23 – Last date to respond to Jan. offers.
(you only have 1 week to respond!)
• Feb. 5 – Offers made for Jan offers not
• Feb. 12 – Last date to respond to 2nd round
QTAC GUIDE APPLICATION
• Page 43 - 49.
• Complete the T.T.T. Application
Planner (page 43 – 44) prior to getting
• Use the Planner as a guide when
DEMONSTRATION OF THE
• Go to www.qtac.edu.au
• Click on ‘Online Services’ drop-down
• Go to ‘2008 Year 12 students – Twelve to
Tertiary (TTT) for 2009 Admissions’
• Click on ‘View a Demonstration Version of
• After working through the Demonstration
version, click on ‘Launch TTT Application’,
• NOTE: The ‘Start Month’ is not the
Offer Date. (Only the start date is in the
• To find the Offer Date for your
courses, you must go online at
www.qtac.edu.au and use the
‘course search tool’ and enter the
course QTAC code.
• Initially arrange all courses in
strict order of preference
• NOW: (as per page 7-8 in QTAC
• If all your courses are in the same
‘Offer Round Date’, leave as is (&
accept, defer, cond. accept, etc.,
when the offer is made to you)
• If your preferences include different
‘Offer Round Dates’, you must rearrange
from 1-6 in order of ‘Offer Round Dates’
• ….as offers are made in order of the
major offer round dates.
• E.g. if your 1st pref. is offered in Jan and
your 2nd pref. in Dec., you won’t get an
offer for your 2nd pref if you miss out on
your 1st pref. (It will be too late)
• Some courses have two starting dates.
• E.g., you can nominate a course which starts in
Semester I, 2009 or …Semester II, 2009.
• Therefore, to find the Offer Date for your
course (Sem. I or Sem. 2), you must go
online at www.qtac.edu.au and use the
‘course search tool’ and enter the course
• If you wish to start in Sem. I, you must select
that course Offer Date.
• Course Search
• Course Changes
• Dual Degrees
• 2008 / 2009 Year Round Admissions
• Fixed Closing Dates
QTAC offers a range of information about courses being offered. If you want to look at the course available in
your area of interest, use Course Search to review all of the courses available
Click HERE to open the Course Search Tool
Search for Courses in
2008/2009 Year Round Admissions (courses commencing semester 3, 2008; semester 1 and 2, 200
QTAC OFFER DATE
1. 011091 Bachelor of Regional and Urban Planning - full-time or part-time - University 17 December 2008
of the Sunshine Coast - Sippy Downs 15 January 2009*
Start Month: February 2009 22 April 2009
Please note that applicants may defer a place in this course for a maximum 13 May 2009
of two years. 3 June 2009*
2. 412352 Bachelor of Urban Development (Urban and Regional Planning) - full-time - 15 January 2009*
Queensland University of Technology, Gardens Point Campus
Start Month: February 2009
Please visit Studyfinder at qut.com for detailed course information.
3. 251722 Bachelor of Music - full-time - Griffith University, Queensland 17 December 2008*
Start Month: March 2009
Applicants cannot defer an offer in this program. Applicants are required to
lodge an Application for Audition form with the Conservatorium by 1/8/08.
4. 223312 Bachelor of Arts in Applied Theatre - full-time - Griffith University, Mt 15 January 2009*
Start Month: March 2009
Applicants may defer an offer in this program for one year.
5. 421932 Bachelor of Fine Arts (Technical Production) - full-time - Queensland 15 January 2009*
University of Technology, Kelvin Grove Campus
Start Month: February 2009
Registrations to attend an interview and submission of additional materials
to QUT will close on Friday, 17 October 2008.
6. 020601 Bachelor of Business Law - full-time or part-time - Bond University, Gold 5 August 2008*
Coast 17 December 2008*
Start Month: January 2009 22 April 2009*
This course will be offered in the December and January offer rounds for
the January intake.
• Therefore, courses which
commence in Semester I must be
listed higher than Semester II
courses to be considered in the
January Offer Round.
• BUT, some Performing Arts
courses & Bond University
courses have their major offer
round in December.
• Therefore, they must be placed
higher (than Jan. and June
courses) to be considered for the
December Offer Round
PREFERENCES - GENERAL RULE
(as on pages 7-8)
• Arrange courses in order of preference
• Then rearrange in order of major offer
rounds (e.g. Dec offer courses before Jan.
• Conditionally accept a December Offer if
it is made (even though it’s really your 2nd or 3rd pref.)
• Then rearrange pref’s so the Jan. course
you really want is now your 1st pref.
• Wait for January Offers and if offered
your real 1st pref. , accept it!
• Only apply for courses that you are sure you would
accept if they are offered
• Ensure you enter the correct course code, and name.
• Place courses in order of personal preference – from
most desired to least desired
• Then rearrange in order of offer dates (if necessary.)
• Conditionally Accept the early offer.
• Rearrange to place most desired course at 1st pref.
• Wait to see if you get your most desired later offer
• Accept it, if offered.
• Refer to page 7-8 of QTAC Guide.