Papua New Guinea
Land of the Unexpected
Over 800 distinct languages
• Most students at Fugwa Primary School
can speak at least 3 languages fluently.
• The average literacy rate for the Fugwa
area is 30% for males, and 20% for
School in PNG
• Elementary – Grades K-2, starts in the
local language and by the end of 2 is
theoretically all in English
• Primary – Grades 3-8, all in English. All
grade 8 students are tested and only the
students in the top percentiles are allowed
to continue on.
School in PNG
• High School – Grades 9-10, all in English. For
Fugwa students this usually means boarding
school. Students are tested again at the end of
grade 10 and very few go on.
• National High School – Grades 11-12. Very few
students from Fugwa will get this far. 12th
graders are tested again and only the very top
get accepted into university.
Average Cash Income at Fugwa
• K20 per year
• Less than $7 per year
• School fees for Fugwa primary? K30
• About $10 per year
How YOU can help
• Norris Middle School has chosen to form a
partnership with Fugwa Primary School,
focusing on grades 6-8.
• You can build a back-to-school supply kit for a
student at Fugwa.
• These kits will be collected by NMS and sent to
FPS for their next school year, which starts in
late January of 2010.
A Back-to-School Supply Kit
• 1 zip-loc style plastic sandwich bag
• 2 pens
• 2 pencils
• 2 erasers – Large pink ones
• 1 glue stick
• 1 small pencil sharpener
• A 3x5 (or 5x3) spiral bound memo pad
• A $1 bill (for shipping cost)