AP WORLD HISTORY
Study Guide: Chapter 14 – Last Great Nomadic Challenges
Mongol Empire of Chinggis Khan
1. Describe the typical Mongol lifestyle (diet, dress, housing, work, etc)
2. Describe the 3 levels of Mongol social organization. How successful was interaction
between these 3 groups?
The Early Career of Chinggis Khan
3. Briefly outline the story of the life of Chinggis/Temujin. What are the major events of
his early life?
Building the Mongol War Machine
4. What made the Mongol warriors so effective in terms of both technology and lifestyle?
5. What trait do YOU feel made the Mongols so successful?
Conquest: The Mongol Empire Under Chinggis Khan
6. What techniques did the Mongols adapt to make war against sedentary societies?
First Assault on the Islamic World: Conquest in China
7. (Create your own question AND answer)
Life Under the Mongol Imperium
8. What are some examples of Chinggis Khan’s “unbarbaric” behavior?
The Death of Chinggis Khan and the Division of the Empire
9. How is the empire divided after Chinggis Khan’s death? Was this division successful in
maintaining the empire?
The Mongol Drive to the West
10. Explain the reasons for the relative ease with which the Golden Horde conquered Russia.
Provide some examples of just how badly the Russians were defeated.
Russia in Bondage
11. In what ways does Russia actually benefit from Mongol rule?
Mongol Incursions and the Retreat from Europe
12. Why were Europeans initially excited about reports of Mongol conquest? What allows
Europe to be spared from the full might of the Mongol armies?
The Mongol Assault on the Islamic Heartland
13. How do the Muslim empires fare against the Mongol invasion? Who finally defeats
them (please elaborate without having to be prompted)?
The Mongol Interlude in Chinese History
14. How does Kublai ensure cultural separation between Mongol and Chinese? Ultimately,
how successful were these attempts?
Gender Roles and the Convergence of Mongol and Chinese Culture
15. (Create your own question AND answer)
Mongol Tolerance and Foreign Cultural Influence
16. (Create your own question AND answer on the topic of cultural learning and exchange)
Social Policies and Scholar-Gentry Resistance
17. How does Kublai alter the traditional social classes of Chinese society?
18. How are traditional Chinese cultural characteristics preserved (and even improved) under
The Fall of the House of Yuan
19. What factors contributed to the decline of Mongol control over China?
Aftershock: The Brief Ride of Timur
20. Compare and contrast the conquest AND rule of Timur-i Lang with that of the Mongols.
(Do this in power-thesis form, with 2 points of comparison and 2 points of contrast.)
Points to Ponder: (Turn in these 5 questions – 20 points total)
1) Compare and contrast the Mongol conquest of the Russian and Arab
2) How do Mongol gender roles compare to those of the Chinese?
3) Describe the European view of, and reaction to, the Mongols.
4) How did the Mongol “Yuan” dynasty alter China?
5) What are the positive aspects of the Mongol conquest? What are the