Contact: Europeans Arrive …To Wards of the State
1. Why was 1997 not a year of celebration for Aboriginal Peoples?
2. What is meant by the term “skraelings”?
3. Who were John Cabot, Jacques Cartier, and Samuel De Champlain?
4. How did Cartier’s men survive the winter of 1535?
5. Describe the Aboriginal role in the fur trade.
6. Explain the following,”they signed treaties as agreements between sovereign
7. What two important concepts were included in the “Royal Proclamation of
8. What aspects of the relationship between Aboriginal peoples and Europeans
began to change in the 1700’s? (assimilation)
9. What role did Aboriginal peoples play in the War of 1812? What happened
10. What did Sir Francis Bond Head mean when he called Aboriginal peoples “a
11. Explain how Aboriginal people suffered “economic decline”.
12. How were Aboriginal peoples affected by disease?
13. Why were Aboriginal peoples not included in the discussions over
14. Explain how the Indian Act made Aboriginal peoples “wards of the state”
1. How did the 1981 UN meeting explain the living conditions of Native
2. Explain what colonialism means.
3. Who has benefited the most from the transformation of “Indian Land” to
4. Explain how “colonialism was cultural as well as political and economic”.