Anatomy & Physiology
Dr Hora Ejtehadi
• By the end of this session you should be
– Distinguish between anatomy and physiology
– Identify the location of organs in each main
– Name the major bones in the human skeleton
Anatomy and Physiology?
• What is “anatomy”?
– the scientific study of the morphology
(shape/structure) of the human body
• What is “physiology”?
– the study of the mechanical, physical, and
biochemical functions of the human body
Which side is right
and which is left?
How do body
planes relate to
types of section?
• Name some organs in each of the main
– Thoracic cavity,
– Abdominal cavity,
– Pelvic cavity,
– Cranial and vertebral cavity.
• Which organ systems do each of these
organs belong to?
Level of Organisation
• Label the bones in the following slide,
• Add in your own extra labels for the
– Tarsals and Metatarsals
– Carpals and Metacarpals
• Waugh A and Grant A (2006) Ross and Wilson Anatomy
and Physiology in Health and Illness, Churchill
• Waugh A and Grant A (2004) Ross and Wilson Anatomy
and Physiology Colouring and Workbook. Churchill