PINE EAGLE SCHOOL DISTRICT #61
SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
SEPTEMBER 11, 2006 – 7:30 P.M.
PINE EAGLE HIGH SCHOOL LIBRARY
M. Peterson J. Minarich L. Bergeron S. Thatcher
D. Mader D. Schmitt M. Shold S. Hanley
G. Bunyard M. Corley G. Kaesemeyer T. Tubbs
P.Hall-Brisk J. Denig A. McNally
D. Kennedy Students
Called to order @ 7:17 pm by Board Chair Marilyn Peterson
4. FFA presented a synopsis of their trip to Washington D.C. along with a slide
5. High School Report – Liberty O’Dell
6. D. Schmitt moved to accept the consent agenda, D. Mader 2nd. Vote: unanimous
7. Welcome Guests:
a. Dan Kennedy – spoke in support of J. Sprague as Boys BB Coach
8. Correspondence – OSBA fall conference
9. Unfinished Business
a. Wellness Policy status – M. Corely reported on the first meeting of the
committee. Next meeting Sept. 13 @ 3pm.
b. Division of Property – M. Corley asked to Shawn Thatcher to report on
the Division of property. Safety Committee, Football Field Drainage
Passed out hand drawn maps of property as it exists and a
suggestion of how to divide the properties
All school property is now one big un-partitioned lot
We can partition house lot and others for $150 per partition
Must have survey to partition – cost about $2000
City requires min 5000 sq.ft. per partition
M. Corley spoke to his objection to selling the bare lots and would like to
revisit the decision to sell them. M. Peterson said she would like to put on
Oct agenda for discussion. S. Thatcher was asked to find out if the old
annex lot is separately partitioned
Safety Report – S. Thatcher reported on regularly scheduled Safety
Committee meeting at 7 am of the morning of Board Meetings. He
discussed the courtesy inspection by OSHA and the safety presentation
during in-service and noted the great job done by science teacher Troy
Tubbs in cleaning and organizing the storage room for science supplies.
He also discussed safety progress being made – eye wash stations, lock
out-tag out system, hearing conservation program.
Drainage – water puddles on S. end of football field still there after
watering. The nozzles were changed to reduce the amount of water on
that end of the field. J. Minarich asked if there was any place to see how
much water was coming off the field. Perhaps the soil holds water more
in that area and could use a surface drain. Consideration must be given to
safety. Shawn reported that it is at least 90% better than it was 5 yrs ago.
c. Spanish Club Trip – M. Shold presented a potential schedule of events.
Trip scheduled for Nov. 8-12 and asked for the board’s approval. D.
Schmitt moved to approve the trip as outlined. G. Bunyard 2nd. D. Mader
asked if there was a system in place for need-based scholarships for kids
who can’t afford the trip and offered to work with Sra. Shold to develop
one. Vote: unanimous
d. AED purchase Consideration – G. Bunyard presented detail of a
recommended package that included alarmed wall mounts. W. Endersby
agreed to do the training. It would be possible to use Medicaid Admin
Claiming money for the purchase. J. Minarich moved to purchase 3 units
out of Admin Claiming money, G. Bunyard 2nd. Vote: unanimous
10. New Business –
a. Request for approval of cheerleading program – M. Corley presented the
reasoning behind the request. D. Mader moved to approve the
cheerleading program. J. Minarich 2nd. D. Mader asked if the cost of the
coach was in the budget. P. Hall-Brisk said no. Vote: unanimous
b. Extra duty contracts – School Nurse, Community Schools , Cheerleading
coach. M. Corley recommended Carol May for Nurse, Amanda McNally
for Cheerleading, Tony Chetwood for Comm. Schools. J. Minarich
moved to accept the recommendations, D. Mader 2nd. D. Mader asked that
the Comm. Schools director actually open and close the schools and that
the job description be enforced. G. Bunyard wants a list of the activities
and times that the coordinator will be there. Vote: unanimous
11. Administrator’s Report
a. Bus Routes – route list with student count prepared by Bruce Flatt. No
change proposed at this time
b. Sports Camp Costs - worksheet presented with estimated costs of effects
of running camps and pointed out our facility use policy. Board’s view
that the cost was minimal and benefit large so camps should go on without
use charge. Areas can be marked off to mitigate the effect on custodial
c. Student Handbooks – haven’t got to them yet. Asked staff for input.
d. Music Program – only 2 high school students, 7-8 and 5-6 well attended.
e. Mental Health Counselor – 2 people quite interested. One has been
interviewed and will schedule an interview with the 2nd. Would like to
have an intervention person who would also do risk assessments, alcohol
and drug assessment and refer to another provider. Asked for consensus
to contract this service. OK.
f. Facilities Use – already covered in camps. Need to look at our policy.
g. Safety Report - Covered earlier
h. Athletic Field Drainage – Covered earlier
i. Resolutions on OSBA election presented for consideration
12. Petitions and Requests – reminder that the board wants athletic trips to get back at
a reasonable hour not 5 am.
13. Future agenda items – track financing update and plans to finish. Sale of
property. Public access to buildings and key situation. 3-5 yr planning committee
meeting Sept 18 at 6:30pm. Permanent Supt hiring process. M. Corley and M.
Peterson to meet and set agenda of Sept. 30 retreat.
14. Adjourn @ 10:00 pm
Superintendent Board Chair