Abscess- an infection where pus collects
Acolyte- an assistant to a priest
Atheist- a person who does not believe in God
Censer- incense container used at religious ceremonies
Condolences- expressions of sympathy
Destitute- without means of support
Hacking- a harsh, dry cough
Kilometer- a distance equal to 0.6 of a mile
Legion of Honor-a French medal for some meritorious service
Moorish- of the Muslim faith
Mortuary- where dead bodies are kept
Vigil- a purposeful watch
1. In what country is this novel set and which country governs it? Name one language spoken
there. What two facts would give a clue to the setting and one of the languages?
2. What is a protagonist? Who might that be in this novel?
3. Is The Stranger written in first-person or the third-person narration?
4. Cite the sentence on page 4 which seems to show Meurseault being defensive about his
relationship with his Mother and showing he was trying to be understood.
5. Does the weather have any effect on the funeral of Madame Meursault?
6. Does the first paragraph of the novel show that Meurseult seems very upset by the death of his
7. What is Meursault’s financial state and is it important?
8. Are there any sections in this chapter where Meursault shows grief concerning his mother’s
death? Find a quotation on page 5 that shows his rationalization for not having any guilt over
her death or his behavior prior to the death.
9. How would you describe Meursault’s interactions with the caretaker and the woman who come
to mourn his mother?
10. Contrast Meursault’s and Perez’s grief over the death of Madame Meursault.
11. Meursault says his mother never had a religious thought in her life, and yet she has a religious
funeral. Can you think of anything which might explain this apparent difference?
12. In this chapter, we see Meursault reaction to nature. Cite examples of this. What is the
significance of nature in this section?
13. What are Meursault’s feelings and thoughts on the bus after his Mother’s funeral?
Fernandel- a comedian in French films
Imperceptibly- barely able to be seen
1. Does Meursault get along with his boss?
2. What sort of involvement does Meursault have with Marie Cardona in this chapter?
3. Do Meursault’s activities on the day after his mother’s funeral seem appropriate?
4. Describe the type of existence Meursault lives in his apartment.
5. List some of the references to nature Meursault describes from his balcony. What is the
significance of his observations?
Blood sausage- sausage of pork and pig’s blood
Franc- French money
Landing- hallway floor at the top of a set of stairs
“Marking” –deliberate injury, which sends a message
Quay- a pier
Underworld- criminals and their associates
1. What would explain Meursault not knowing his mother’s exact age?
2. Does Meursault’s boss treat him less antagonistically when he returns to work after the funeral?
Give an example of this.
3. What is Emmanuel’s last name? What is his job?
4. What sentence continues to convey Meurseault’s lack of emotion about his mother’s death and
his preoccupation with satisfying his own desires?
5. Describe the similarities between Salamano and his dog.
6. How does Salamano treat his dog?