VAN METER/BUTTERFIELD EVENT CONTRACT
This contract must be submitted to the A/RD 7 business days prior to the event
Building:___________________________ Date of show:______________________
Time of event: (from) ___________ (until) __________
Message left for UMPD at 5-2121 (7 days in advance)?
Message left for Jim Meade (Security) at 5-2123 (10 days in advance)?
Message left for EH&S at 5-2682 (10 days in advance)?
A/RD was given copy of advertisements for event?
Please list the names of who will be security for the event (mandatory for directly outside doors
leading to the event and inside the space where the event takes place)
Name Shift Time Phone
Please list the names of the people responsible for closing the event. Closing the event consists
of the following mandatory tasks:
1. Unpropping all exit doors
2. Picking up all garbage
3. Leaving the reserved space as clean as before the event started
4. Taking down all flyers posted to advertise the event within 24 hours
If any of the expectations on this contract are violated, the following will occur:
The event will be terminated immediately.
Event planners and policy violators will be subject to judicial action.
Organizers may be financially responsible for any damage that occurs.
Event planners will no longer be able to hold events in Van Meter or Butterfield.
Van Meter and/or Butterfield may be closed to future events.
Planner (person responsible) Date COM or A/RD Date
Van Meter/Butterfield HC Officer (if applicable) Date
EXPECTATIONS OF EVENTS/PERFORMANCES
1. Events need to be approved by the Cluster Office Manager (COM) or A/RD within 5 business days in advance. The completed
Event Contract, Hall Space Request, and advertisement for the event must be in the COM or A/RD’s possession 7 days
prior to the event.
2. The COM or A/RD reserves the right to not approve any group or person, including UMass Registered Student Organizations, to
perform in either Van Meter or Butterfield Halls. Granting students permission to perform is the discretion of the VMB Senior Staff.
3. Van Meter and Butterfield residents receive priority for all events and performances.
4. Each event will cost $84.00 in security fees to ensure appropriate security at all events. This MUST be paid to the Van
Meter/Butterfield HC 5 days before the event takes place. Please make checks payable to UMass Amherst.
5. UMass Police Department (UMPD), Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S), and Student Security needs to be informed of
the event in advance. Leave a voicemail for UMPD (5-2121) and Jim Meade (5-2134) 10 days prior to the event and the night
before the event.
6. Advertisements for events must include the following: Photo ID Required, Alcohol and DRUGS are NOT Permitted,
Backpacks are NOT allowed. A sign must be posted prominently at each entrance with the same statements as above.
7. There should be two security workers at each door and at each stairwell, checking IDs and preventing backpacks from
entering. Security stationed at the stairwells should allow residents of the building with a valid ID to enter the event, and should
not allow guests who do not live in the building upstairs in Van Meter. Event workers MAY NOT be under the influence of
alcohol or drugs. Event security staff needs to stay “on duty” until all guests have left. “On Duty” means ensuring resident safety
and comfort by addressing open containers of alcohol, keeping noise levels low, keeping the halls free of large crowds, and
informing the police if any situation is or is suspected of becoming dangerous.
8. All persons entering must have a photo ID! Only residents of the building with a photo ID are allowed to pass up the stairwell into
the rest of the building. All non-residents must go around to the front of the building and pass by the Student Security to be signed
9. All events need to be free of alcohol and other drugs in accordance with state and University policy. Any person found in
possession of alcohol or other drugs should be confronted, and their name and student ID documented. Students found with
alcohol should be asked to dispose of the alcohol and to leave the building. Students found with any drugs should be reported to
the UMPD immediately, with their name and student ID documented. All event workers are responsible for monitoring this.
10. Bathroom usage. Event workers need to be scheduled to escort non-resident guests to a bathroom upstairs and back down. All
non-residents must leave through one of the exit doors in the basement of Van Meter or Butterfield and then around to the front
entrance to be signed in to use the bathrooms on the first floors. No non-residents will be permitted upstairs into buildings.
11. Lighting must be on in the room for the safety of the guests and to enable event workers and building staff to adequately monitor
12. Lounge furniture or any other University property cannot be removed for any reason from its original location.
13. Smoking is not allowed in the buildings, and must be kept 20 feet away from the entrances of the buildings.
14. The event/performance must occur anytime between 8:00 PM and 12 Midnight on Fridays and Saturdays. Events must end no
later than 12 Midnight (end time of quiet hours). Failure to end an event by 12 Midnight will result in the closure of the event.
Performances on any other day must end by 9:00 PM.
15. The sponsors of the event and the event workers are responsible for cleaning the reserved space after the event, and returning
any tables and chairs back to café storage.
16. If a situation arises in which event sponsors/workers cannot manage a situation, it is required that UMPD be called for assistance.
17. An official VMB House Council representative needs to take responsibility for collecting any money raised from cover
charges. The official VMB House Council Representative must then inform the A/RD of the total money collected, where all the
collected money went, and deposit the money with Dawn Briggs, Business Manager for Housing and Residence Life, on the next
18. All EXIT AREAS must be kept clear of tables, chairs, and anything else that blocks the emergency evacuation route out of the
19. There should be NO USE of fireworks, incense, open flames or candles in any event!
20. All UMass Residence Hall policies code of student conduct and state laws must be followed.
21. Merchandise will not be permitted to be sold.
22. Any questions? Please feel free to contact Robby Vanasse, Cluster Office Manager of Van Meter and Butterfield
23. Failure to follow all of the expectations above will result in the event being closed and all future events being cancelled.