Experimental Design Worksheet
Instructions: Using one of the biology textbooks available in the classroom, answer
the following questions concerning the science of biology.
1. Define “observation”-
2. Define “evidence”-
3. Compare and contrast “qualitative data” and “quantitative data”.
4. Define “inference”-
5. Describe how to create a high-quality hypothesis.
1 of 2
6. Describe a “controlled experiment”, describe what they are used for, and why
they are important to science.
7. Compare and contrast “independent variables” and “dependent variables”. In
your answer, be sure to identify which type of variable would be a cause, and
which would be the effect.
8. Describe how a scientific theory is EXTREMELY DIFFERENT from how the
word “theory” is used in everyday language.
2 of 2