Bomb Threat Response
Phone Bomb Threats : Employees receiving telephoned
• Stay calm - do not alarm others Notify your supervisor,
who will report the threat.
• Fill out the Bomb Threat Checklist to assist responding
• Decision to evacuate the building will be made by the
agency Director, Assistant Director, Manager, or Safety
• Take the checklist with you if the building is evacuated.
Written Bomb Threats: Employees receiving or
discovering a written bomb threat message will do
Remain calm and leave the message where it is
found. Do not handle the document any more
than necessary to preserve fingerprints and other
Do not alarm others but report to your Supervisor
or Safety Manager immediately.
DO NOT give information to anyone except
Police, Supervisor, or Safety Manager.
Steps to Take if a Bomb is
• Evacuate the immediate area.
• DO NOT TOUCH THE SUSPECTED BOMB - DO NOT
USE CELL PHONES - DO NOT USE 2-WAY RADIOS!
Notify your supervisor, who will report the matter.
Leave all doors and windows open in the bomb area.
Make a mental note of the following:
• (a) exact location of the object;
• (b) size of the object;
• (c) type of container or wrappings and markings
on package; and
• (d) any sound coming from the object.
Bomb Threat Messages
• In-Person Bomb Threats: If you are confronted
by an individual or group claiming to have a
bomb or claiming to have placed a bomb:
• Stay calm.
Cooperate with the individual or group.
Try to get the attention of a co-worker. The
person that is signaled will:
• (a) call Police and report the incident,
• (b) notify your supervisor; and
• (c) note the description of the threatener.
The person being threatened should ask the
following questions, if possible:
(a) What time the bomb is going to explode?______________________
• (b) Where is it right now?_________________________________
• (c) What does it look like?________________________________
• (d) What kind of bomb is it?_______________________________
• (e) What will cause it to explode?___________________________
Do not alarm others, take this sheet with you if the building is
DO NOT give information to anyone except Police, Supervisor, or the
Print this page for future use
Example of a package bomb: