OPERATIONS/TECHNICAL SUPPORT ANALYST 1238
FUNCTION OF JOB
Under general supervision, provide installation, integration, maintenance and technical support for highly
complex computer systems and the departmental LAN. This position is differentiated from the LAN
Administrator by the level of expertise required for systems integration and communications.
1. Troubleshoot and resolve problems with PC and Sun workstation hardware and software in a
variety of operating system platforms such as Windows NT, Novell and Sun UNIX. Responsible for the
configuration of systems.
2. Identify hardware and software needs for the department; install and test new and upgraded
hardware and software; customize hardware and software when necessary.
3. Monitor, maintain and upgrade departmental LAN servers such as Windows NT, Novell and Sun
UNIX with RAID disk arrays.
4. Maintain a working knowledge of communications protocols and standards such as TCP/IP,
IPX/SPX, Netbios/Net BEUI, POP3, SMTP, 56K frame relay, T1 lines, fiber optic lines, peer to peer
networking, client server networking, and modem error control and compression standards.
5. Manage the LAN in a large and highly complex systems environment. This includes maintenance
of LAN security by ensuring that security procedures are implemented and enforced.
6. Research, recommend and negotiate pricing with vendors for hardware, software, and
telecommunications equipment; responsible for the acquisition and installation of all products.
7. Provide instruction regarding the use and maintenance of hardware and software; provide
guidance to end users on LAN operation.
8. Manage E-mail systems and provide connectivity solutions to hospital networks.
9. Provide remote support of PCs via modem connections and dial-up software; set up and maintain
modem access to PCs and departmental LAN. Evaluate and develop telecommunications systems.
10. Write utilities and diagnostic programs in various languages based on end-user needs.
11. Monitor environmental control systems for the departmental LAN including UPS power backup
system and temperature control system.
12. Interface with hospital and third-party telecommunications and engineering staff.
13. May direct the work of others involved in computer systems support for the department.
14. Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED
Oral and/or written instructions are received from supervision. Provide direction and guidance to support
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
1. Bachelor's degree with computer courses.
2. Four years of experience in a local area network and electronic environment or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
3. Demonstrated verbal and analytical skills.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
1. Education and/or experience beyond the minimum required.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 2/1/94
REVISION DATE: 9/29/98