Cancer and The Cell Cycle
The cell cycle is controlled by proteins called ____________________ and a set
of _________________ that attach to the cyclin and become activated.
If control of the cell cycle is lost, _________________ can be the result.
Cancer is a ____________________ growth resulting from uncontrolled cell
division, which may be due to environmental factors or by changes in enzyme
The production of enzymes is directed by ________________
which are located on the chromosomes. A gene is a segment of
______________ that controls the production of a protein.
Cancerous cells form masses of tissue called ________________
that deprive normal cells of nutrients. In later stages, cancer cells enter the
circulatory system and spread throughout the body, a process called
_______________, which ultimately disrupts the functions of organs, organ
systems, and finally the organism.
Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. exceeded only by
___________________________. It can affect any tissue in the body.
Lung cancer is the leading cause of death in the United States and kills
_________ deaths each year. That is ______ times the number of deaths
caused by the terrorists on 9/11 and ______ times the number of Americans that
have died thus far in the war in Iraq.
Difficult to pinpoint because damage to genes could be a result of
environmental factors (cigarette smoke, air and water pollution, exposure to
UV rays, and viral infections) or genetic factors alone.
Some Forms of Prevention
Healthy _________________ (low in fat, high in fiber content)
Intake of certain _______________ and minerals (carotenoids, Vitamins A, C,
and E, and calcium)
Connection to Health: Skin Cancer
Read page 216 in your textbook and answer the following questions.
1. What is the cause of most cases of skin cancer?
2. Where on the body do most cases of skin cancer develop?
3. Who is most at risk?
4. What are the two layers of skin tissue called?
5. What is the natural protection system that you have to shield your body against harmful
6. What specifically leads to skin cancer?
7. What is a positive side to skin cancer as far as diagnosis and treatment in concerned?
8. The most lethal skin cancer is _________________________.
9. What are some signs of melanoma?
10. Why are melanomas so dangerous?