English II Pre-AP Poetry Portfolio
4th 9 Weeks
Create a personal portfolio containing original poetry, poetry analysis, personal comments, biographies, quotes, and graphics.
1. Book Jacket (Personalized Art Work) 6. Analysis of 4 Modern Poems (Modern Poets)
2. Glossary of Poetic Devices (Poetic Devices) 7. Analysis of 4 Classic Poems (Classic Poets)
3. Quotes (Personal/Philosophical) 8. Poet Biography (Renowned Poet)
4. 15 Original Poems (Personal) 9. Lyric Poetry (Musical)
5. Analysis of 8 Original Poems (Classmates) 10. Read a book of Poetry (Choice)
Create a portfolio book jacket to house all of your work.
Set the tone for the contents with the design of your portfolio book jacket.
The art work may be original material, a collage, photos, print outs or any other artistic materials.
It must, however, be school appropriate!
Define 25 words from the list of poetic devices.
Give an example of each. (original or found)
You must find 7 philosophical quotes that are meaningful to you.
You must write 3 personal quotes that are meaningful to you.
It must be original!
The poem must have the poetic style listed in the right hand corner.
No single couplets or quatrains!
All analysis papers must be at least 1 page.
You may not analyze the same poet twice.
You must analyze the poems by looking at the diction, imagery, details, language, & syntax. (DIDLS)
You must also analyze the tone of the poem.
How to – Poetry Analysis
Gather pertinent information on your selected poet, focusing on biographical information that may have
influenced the poet’s choice of subject matter and /or the poet’s viewpoint on his/her subject matter.
Find information on the decade(s) in which your poet lived and composed.
In a 500 word essay report your findings, in which you connect biographical information and decade influences
to specific poems. Tell me how your poet’s poetry was inspired by their life and the time they lived in. Be sure
to cite specific poems and personal events.
Submit a Works Cited page stapled to the back of your essay that follows the format provided in your notes.
No two students may cover the same poet.
How To: MLA Works Cited – Citationmachine.net
You must find music lyrics containing poetic devices from the 1900s to 2000s.
You must give me the Poetic Device, Composer, Singer, Lyrics (the poetic device), Release Date, and Genre.
All papers must be typed! (12pt. Calibri)
All papers must include name, date, and class in the left hand corner.
All papers must be double spaced (except original poetry)
All papers must have a title centered.
Found Acrostic Tanka
Nursery Rhymes Free Verse Sonnet
I Can’t Poems Ode Epic
Lyrics Ballad Fable
Limericks Didactic Shape Poetry
Cinquain Haiku Enjambment
Quatrain Renga Elegy
Glossary of Poetic Devices
Poems up for possible discussion: (The following poems are also linked for your viewing pleasure on the net.)
Dulce et Decorum Est – Wilfred Owen 1
O Captain My Captain – Walt Whitman 2
Fear – Gabriela Minstral 3
The Street– Octavio Paz 4
Columbus Dying – Vassar Miller 5
The Wind – tapped like a tired man – Emily Dickinson 6
Spring and All – William Carlos Williams 7
Uncoiling – Pat Mora 8
A Pace Like That – Yehuda Amichai 9
Metaphor – Eve Merriam 10
Right Hand – Philip Fried 11
Success is counted sweetest – Emily Dickinson 12
I dwell in possibility – Emily Dickinson 13
Pre AP Final Poetry Portfolio Check List
1. Poems =10pts Typed 2pt Headings 1pt Poem Type 1pt Must have an original
1. Found example of each.
2. Nursery Rhyme
5. Free Verse
2. Peer Analysis =10pts Typed 2pts Headings 1pt Analyzed Poem 1pt Must be at least 1pg.
1. You cannot analyze the
2. same person twice.
3. Classical Analysis =15pts Typed 2pts Headings 2pts Analyzed Poem 1pt
4. Modern Analysis =15pts Typed 2pts Headings 2pts Analyzed Poem 1pt
5. 25 Poetic Terms =10pts Typed 2pt Headings 2pts Examples 2pts
1. – 25.
6. Book Jacket =10pts Illustrated 5pts
7. Poet Biography =10pts Typed 5pts Headings 5pts
8. Lyric Poetry =10pts Typed 2pts Headings 3pts Information 5 pt Figurative Language
1. 1900 Composer
2. 1910 Singer,
3. 1920 Lyrics,
4. 1930 Release Date
5. 1940 Genre
9. Quotes =10pts Typed 2pts Headings 2pts 3 Personal 2pts 7 Philosophical 4pts
1. 7 –Philosophical
2. 3 – Personal