EXAM 4 STUDY GUIDE
1. How often does the legislature meet?
2. Who in Texas is in charge of redistricting?
3. How many members are there in the Texas House? What about the Senate?
4. What are the functions of the speaker of the house? Why is it such a powerful position?
5. What are the functions of the lieutenant governor? Why is it such a powerful position?
6. How is the speaker of the house selected? How is the lieutenant governor elected?
7. When can the governor veto a bill? For what types of bills can he exercise line-item veto
8. What is the Calendars Committee?
9. How does the Texas legislature compare to other state legislatures?
10. How much do Texas legislators make?
11. Why did the framers of the 1876 Constitution create a plural executive system?
12. Who is the longest serving governor in Texas history?
13. Texas has a “weak” governor.” What does that mean?
14. How long does the governor serve? Are there term limits?
15. What does the attorney general do?
16. What does the Railroad Commission do?
17. What does the comptroller do?
18. What does the secretary of state do?
19. What does the State Board of Education do?
20. What is the job of the Sunset Advisory Commission?
21. What is the revolving door problem, as that term relates to industry and bureaucracy?
22. How are most judges in Texas selected? What are some other options for selecting judges?
How does the merit system work?
23. What are the differences between the courts that we discussed (municipal, JP, county,
district, intermediate appellate, Supreme Court, Court of Criminal Appeals)? What types of
cases do they hear?
24. How many justices must decide to hear a case in the Texas Supreme Court? What about the
Court of Criminal Appeals?
25. Why do many people consider partisan judicial elections to be a problem?
26. What are the various stages of the criminal judicial process? What happens at each?
27. Can a defendant in Texas waive a jury trial?
28. What are the two phases of a criminal trial in Texas?
29. Where does Texas rank in executions?
30. What has been the effect of tort reform in Texas?