China Mobile Leader’s Programme
+linkedin, facebook, myspace
If I had more time, I would speak slower
• The great French writer, Proust said
• “If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter”.
• Here are my shorter slides:-)
• We don’t want to pay for bits anymore
• I.e. cellular provider better make money from something else
• We do want to know who to trust
• Source of identity and risk reduction
• Especially for transactional software
• We woul like to go back 10 years to 1 week battery life handsets!
• Need to be smarter about resource use on mobile
• We’d like to automate malware out of existence
• Not just signing and virus scanning - better Computer Science!
Lessons from working with cellular providers
• They have lost control of the handset
• They will lose control of the radio/spectrum pretty soon
• Need to capitalise on last resources - e.g.
• Cell tower is good co-lo for cache/web/CDN
• SIM is great for ID
• Low transactional overhead billing system is excellent
From experience with
• Microsoft, Intel, NTT DoCoMo, BT, Telefonica, KAIST, MPI, Vodafone
• Etc etc etc
• Trust matters
• Ethics matter
• Spectrum should all be free
• Models based on empirical data matter
• measure everything about your users, networks, devices
• Social Structures are really really useful
• Old ideas (e.g. dataflow and functional programming) may have their day
• Questions? …