Leisure & Recreation Association
(Registered Scottish Charity No: SCO 27257)
Keeping the Heart in our Community
MINUTES OF A BUSINESS MEETING OF THE ALRA MANAGEMENT
COMMITTEE HELD AT OAKBANK
AT 7.30PM ON WEDNESDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER 2010
David Homewood – Convener
Lindsay Henderson – Vice Convener
Bill Adam – Treasurer
ITEM 1 – CONVENER’S INTRODUCTION:
The refurbishment work in the Aytoun Hall was now entering its final phase. The
various aspects of the refurbishment and the consultancies undertaken seemed to be
falling into place nicely. Work on the procurement of a suitable inventory was
ongoing. The Convener stated that he was hopeful that the ALRA would be able to
obtain the full list of items required. What remained unclear was the future
management of the building and PKC’s position with PKL (now renamed Live Active
Leisure). It was in the management area that the ALRA should have the most
concerns. The community could not lead on the many important issues that needed
addressing prior to the reopening of the Aytoun Hall and would have to rely on
Council officers to find solutions. All that the ALRA Management Committee could
do at present was to represent the community during discussions and try to influence
ITEM 2 – PREVIOUS MINUTES:
The minutes of the Business Meeting held on 11th August were agreed as a true
ITEM 3 – MEMBER’S UPDATES
Future Management Structure & Management Agreement
The 2nd Strategic Advisory Group meeting was held on 26th August. Those present
Wilma McCulloch – Service Manager (Partnerships) ECS.
Stuart Younie – Service Manager (Sports & Leisure) ECS.
Grant Carstairs – Community Integration Manager ECS.
David Homewood – Convener ALRA.
Lindsay Henderson – Vice Convener ALRA.
Ken Smith – Business Member ALRA.
Apologies had been received from Paul Cromwell – Head of Operations Live Active
The following significant points came out of the meeting:
Comrie Mason was unlikely to return to the Aytoun Hall as Caretaker.
PKC & LAL discussions about the management of halls continued in a
A letter from PKC to identified users about the booking procedure, dates and
tariffs had become an urgent, priority action and was well overdue.
A position paper was required to brief the ECS Senior Management Team
(SMT) on project progress.
There was a requirement to establish a method of trapping all income and
expenditure related to the operation of the Aytoun Hall after it had been
reopened so as to make informed decisions. (Ken Smith had made this point).
It was broadly agreed that all income and expenditure should be monitored
during FY 2012/13, after experience had been gained of operating the
refurbished building during 2011.
PKC would attempt to obtain all known costs from PKL. Stuart Younie had
accepted this action.
The ALRA had undertaken to look at the feasibility of obtaining grants to
employ a Hall Development Manager at a net cost of approximately £25K per
annum. Potential grant sources were to be investigated in conjunction with
PKC. Lindsay Henderson and Pauline Parr were working on this task.
Further consideration would need to be given to:
o Hall keeping duties.
o Technical support for hi-tech sound and visual aid equipment.
o Development of management duties.
Further consideration was to be given to the bookings procedure by PKC.
Library or Housing Office staff might be tasked to manage bookings at some
time in the future.
PKC employees working in the Aytoun Hall should be included in orientation
The draft Management Agreement should be recast as a Partnership
The next SAG meeting was scheduled for 14th October.
The following update had been provided by the Project Management staff:
Mansell Construction had sought a 3-week extension for completion of the
refurbishment contract, which would delay the handing back of the site until
the first week of December.
There was no identifiable impact on the projected re-opening date of 5th
The necessary occupancy certification would need to be completed prior to
any access being permitted to the public.
It was emphasized that at the present time none of this information prejudiced the
community’s aspirations to hold a Carol Service in the Aytoun Hall on 12th
December, although the Secretary of Churches Together had been advised to put a
contingency plan in place as the venue could not be absolutely guaranteed.
The Convener stated that the PKC/ALRA intention of arranging a series of orientation
tours for users in the latter half of November would not now be possible. The tours
would have to be delayed until after occupancy certification had been obtained.
The Convener further stated that the Management Committee should note that the
reasons for Mansell Construction’s request to delay handing back the site stemmed
The stonework in the Girnal House being found in a much worse state than
expected. Load-bearing walls had to be rebuilt, which had not been
anticipated in tender documentation.
Project Management and the lead Architect, supported by the ALRA, had
requested Mansell Construction to make a number of changes to upgrade the
quality of certain aspects of the refurbishment plan, thus delaying the project
Therefore any delays to the completion of the core refurbishment work had not been
of Mansell Construction’s making. The delay in handover, whilst somewhat
disappointing in that it impacted upon the envisaged orientation tours for users,
should be viewed as beneficial to the community in the long term because better than
expected quality fittings were being installed.
Grant Carstairs stated that the letter to users about the booking system and tariffs had
yet to be cleared by the ECS Senior Management Team. He said that he would do
everything possible to expedite its distribution. The Convener stated that he had
pressed hard for the letter to be released. Shona Stewart advised that some
organisations in the town had already given booking forms to LAL at the Community
Aytoun Hall Stage. A suitable stage had been identified. It was a Morleys
product called ‘Speedi-Stage System’. The stage could be easily rolled out
and unfolded for immediate use. It was compact, mobile and needed little
storage space. It was constructed from high-grade aluminium and steel with
black beech block-board flooring. The stage could be made to order and set
up in a number of different configurations. It would be purchased from the
main budget as part of the infrastructure.
Council Chamber Furniture. No decision had yet been made about replacing
the conference table. Options were to buy a new one or find a suitable
replacement from store. The set of 12 chairs were in a poor state and Project
Management had advised that it would cost more to renovate them than to buy
new ones. The estimate to refurbish each chair was £150, a total of £1,800.
The Convener stated that he had requested that the old chairs be retained
because they were part of the town’s heritage. If it were necessary to have
them renovated at a later date outside of the project then this would have to be
arranged. The Provost Chair and Clock were being renovated.
Pavement Mounted Notice Board. Planning permission was not required and
the notice board could be erected in due course. A suitable product had been
identified that would match other new street furniture, such as a waste bin and
Outstanding Issues List. The list (Enclosure 1) had been updated as at 15th
September. Much of its content would be covered in the agenda of this meeting, but it
would serve as a check-list for Management Committee members.
Finance. In the absence of the Treasurer, the Convener advised that the ALRA had
approximately £24,700 in the bank, with a further £75 to bank. The income from the
Coffee Morning on 4th September had eased any potential cash flow problem. An
operating balance of £1,775 existed.
Chairs. A price of £22,770-odd had been quoted, which was VAT inclusive.
Project Management could obtain a good discount; the catalogue price had
exceeded £30,000. If the package could be purchased through PKC sources
then further reductions could be achieved with an ex-VAT price.
General. Other items had been put out to tender and feedback had indicated
some good prices could be had.
LED Screens. Three LED Screens were to be purchased for the front of the
building complex. One would be fixed on the wall in the entrance of the
Aytoun Hall. The other two would be placed on extension arms in the Gallery
and Girnal House Reception area.
Signage. A meeting had taken place between Project Management and the
ALRA to determine the signage requirement. In addition to the signs required
to meet health and safety legislation, there would be signs for ‘Aytoun Hall’,
‘The Institute’ and ‘Girnal Hall’. The outside ‘Girnal House’ lettering would
be recast or cleaned and replaced, but similar signage to match for the Aytoun
Hall had been vetoed by Historic Scotland. There would be a welcome sign in
the Girnal House entrance, ‘Welcome to Historic Auchterarder’ together with
the town’s motto.
Pinboards. Appropriate areas throughout the building had been identified for
the positioning of Pinboards.
Council Chamber Photographs. A visit had been made to GRS in Perth to
explain the ALRA’s requirement to upgrade the existing photographs. A
sample would be produced at a cost of around £40. Richard McKenzie was
requested to research the chronological sequence of Provost, Bailie & Town
Clerk appointments so that an information document could be placed in the
Council Chamber in due course. It would also help to identify some of the
unknown photographs of office bearers.
Gannochy Trust. The trustees of the Gannochy Trust Village Halls Scheme
had sat on 14th September. The ALRA had applied for a grant of £20,000.
The trustees had awarded £5,000, just 25% of the sum applied for. Depending
on the outcome of the grant of £15,000 applied for from the Auchterarder &
District Community Fund, which would consider the application on 28th
September, the ALRA had a potential £53,000 to contribute towards the new
inventory. The Convener said that he had discussed the disappointing news
with the Project Management staff, whose advice had been that indications
were that £53,000 would be sufficient to buy what was required. If not, then
some items would have to be deleted from the inventory package. Lindsay
Henderson stated that the sofas intended for the Gallery had already been
deleted because they were deemed to be inappropriate for the design of the
room and its intended purpose.
Cooperative Community Trust. The grant application to the Cooperative
Community Trust to fund the pavement mounted Notice Board had been
unsuccessful. The reason was thought to have been owing to the number of
grant applications exceeding the money available in the trust. The Notice
Board would now been paid for from the main budget controlled by Project
Awards for All (A4A). An application was in draft format for a grant from
A4A. The grant application was to assist with the funding of orientation tours
and temporary displays for the Gallery during the first few months of the
building’s reopening. Pauline Parr, David Homewood and Lindsay Henderson
were working up the application.
Marilyn & Richard McKenzie
ALRA Calendar for 2011. The calendar had been produced and Ian McKenzie was
putting its various parts together into a sales package. A hundred were available to be
distributed. The calendar would sell at £5 each. The Convener said that he would
produce some PR for the initiative and negotiate with the outlets in the town to sell
them. Management Committee members were given a number of calendars to sell
within their social circles.
Gallery Exhibition. Richard McKenzie said that he had been in contact with Steve
Connelly at the Bell’s Library about producing an exhibition. It was estimated that a
minimum of three portable display boards at a cost of approximately £100 each would
Coffee Morning. The Coffee Morning on 4th September was considered to have been
a great success. Some donations were still coming in. Over £600 was made from the
‘door’ and from donations.
Good as New Sale. After some discussion, it was decided to organise a ‘Good as
New’ Sale on Thursday 28th, Friday 29th and Saturday 30th October. The venue would
be the United Free Church. Betty Murchie said that there might be some difficulty
with preparing and running the event because some of the regular experienced
volunteers were not available. It would not be possible to start preparations at the
venue until after an event had taken place on the afternoon of Wednesday 27 th
October. The Convener said that he would like the event to take place because the
ALRA really needed the money to cover future known expenditure. It was agreed
that planning for the event should commence soonest.
ITEM 4 – ANY OTHER BUSINESS
ITEM 5 – FUTURE MEETINGS
The next meeting is a Business Meeting scheduled for Wednesday, 13th October at
2010 Meeting Schedule:
Wednesday, 13th October – Business Meeting at Oakbank.
Wednesday, 10th November – Business Meeting at Oakbank.
Wednesday, 8th December – Business Meeting at Oakbank.
All business meetings commence at 7.30pm.
1. Outstanding Issues as at 15th September 2010.
Chairman, Auchterarder & District Community Council
PKC Community Integration Manager, ECS
Ward 7 Councillors
AYTOUN HALL – OUTSTANDING ISSUES
AS AT 15TH SEPTEMBER 2010
Definitive Inventory List. [List has been formulated. LH currently working with
GF to place orders. Procurement being arranged through PKC. £38K secured.
Trustees of Auchterarder & District Community Trust consider application for
£15K on 28th Sept. Mechanism required to source buys through PKC.]
Council Chamber furniture. [New conference table to be procured by PKC.
Renovation of existing furniture to be arranged by GF. Cost of refurbishing 12
committee chairs will be approx £150 each (£1,800) - may need to be done at a
Stage for the Aytoun Hall. [Project Management has identified a suitable stage.
It will be procured from the main budget. The stage will be flexible in that it can
be set up in a number of different configurations.]
Notice Board. [The application to the Coop Foundation was not successful. The
item will now be covered by the main budget and procured by Project
Management. Separate planning permission is not required to erect the notice
Reconciliation of future Inventory to Storage Capacity. [Identifying the storage
shortfall will not be possible until after the building has been refurbished.
Storage areas have been earmarked. ALRA has been invited to allocate storage to
users in management discussions – not a given.]
Storage (moveable or fixed) in Girnal Hall. [Not included in project budget.
Unfitted storage cupboards to be procured by ALRA to meet requirement.
Suitable specifications and standardisation have been established. SWRI has
contributed by purchasing 3 cupboards.]
Future Storage of Heritage Records/Artefacts. [Remains an outstanding issue.
Storage available will not cover all items in store.]
Relocation of Iliad Relief & Fireplace. [Agreement has been reached to place the
Iliad Relief on a load-bearing wall opposite the stairs in the Girnal House. The
relief is currently being cleaned. The ‘arts and crafts’ Fireplace is to be sited in
the first floor Housing Office.]
Reframing of Council Chamber Photographs. [In hand. Being dealt with by LH.
The initiative will cost in the region of £800.]
Interior Design of Main Hall (Interior Designer). [An interior design meeting took
place on 3rd August. It was agreed that the architect and interior designer were to
be given free license with designs and colours to create a significant visual impact
throughout the building and to create a feeling of light and space throughout. The
floor of the Girnal Hall will by a vinyl product.]
Acoustics in Main Hall. [Consultant’s Charlton-Smith report to be implemented.
Acoustic panels to be incorporated in the décor of the Aytoun Hall.]
Sound Systems (including Induction Loops) for Aytoun Hall, Institute, Girnal
halls and Council Chamber. [D3 Audio & Visual Ltd has produced options for the
halls and the Council Chamber. The firm will also be installing stage lighting in
the Aytoun Hall. The option chosen is of the highest affordable specification. k.]
Photographic Record (Before & After). [‘Before’ has been completed. ‘During’
photographs of the demolition stage have been taken and ‘after’ photographs will
be arranged by Project Management and Mansell Construction.]
Periodic Joint ALRA/PKC Newsletter on Progress. [A Project Management
Newsletter No 1 has been released.]
Determine New Signs for the Interior. [LH has met on site with Project
Management staff to confirm signage in addition to that required to satisfy health
Prepare Displays for Opening. [ALRA to prepare a display for the Gallery based
on the ALRA-Aytoun Hall and old photographs of Auchterarder. The ADLHA is
pursuing funding for its proposed permanent display. The lead architect is
preparing the designated area to mount the envisaged wall display.]
Trestle Tables. [39 x 6ft and 7 x 4 ft trestle tables are presently stored in a
container located in the school grounds. These tables are required for future use
in the community, but cannot all be stored in the refurbished hall. Suitable
storage location(s) need to be found. Options: Tullibardine (RHS arrangement),
Ochil Towers School (max of 20) or Aytoun Hall (10) and Cloan (RHS
arrangement) or a mix of options.
o 2011 Calendar. [500 to be produced.]
o ‘Memories’ Booklet. [Continues to sell at a slow rate in the Post Office.]
o Future events. [Proposed dates for a Good as New sale in the United Free
Church are 28th to 30th October.]
Organise Opening Events:
o Familiarisation Tours for the community. [PKC/ALRA. Original plan for
November. Will have to be slipped into December. Occupancy
certification required before event can take place.]
o Opening Function. [ALRA. Date to be decided upon.]
o Formal Opening Ceremony. [PKC. Will be a political event. Timing will
have to fit in with Scottish Parliament elections in May 2011.]
o Management Structure. [A newly established Aytoun Hall Strategic
Advisory Group has been formed (PKC/PKL/ALRA) to take management
development forward. A Partnership Agreement is to be drafted by PKC.
An Aytoun Hall Operational Advisory Group has also been formed, but is
subordinate to the Strategic Advisory Group.]
o Management Issues include:
Booking system. [Interim system will be the old PKL system until
March 2011. ALRA pushing for new system with booking point in
the Aytoun Hall. The Library is an option. This necessitates
internal PKC inter service department agreements. PKC has
agreed to send out a letter informing users that provisional
bookings will be taken for 2011 after an agreed date. This is
Hire tariffs. [New tariffs will be based on those operating when the
hall closed, plus a small annual increase. Tariffs will be updated
after March 2011.]
Caretaker’s duties. [Discussions between PKC & PKL will be
necessary. Operating a refurbished hall will necessitate changes
to the Caretaker’s job description. It is understood that Comrie
Mason will not return from Muthill.]
Inventory control/accounting. [An agreement between PKC, PKL
& ALRA required.]
Development Manager. [The feasibility of employing a Hall
Development Manager is being considered by the ALRA. Funding
sources are being canvassed.]