Minutes 28 February 2011 by 1M7XuaM

VIEWS: 0 PAGES: 4

									                 Minutes of Friends of Parc Cefn Onn
                         Committee Meeting
                     Monday 28th February 2011
Present:      Gareth Thomas (Chair)
              Bill Vaughan (Treasurer)
              Tony Cousins
              Joy Davies
              Alan Prosper
              Norbert Flynn
              Mike Sant
              Alec (Park Ranger)
              Sue Williams (Minute Secretary)

Apologies:    Mary Salter
              Lee-Anne Mason
                                                                                        Action

1.     Minutes of meeting 17th January 2011 were accepted as accurate.

2.     BANKING/MEMBERSHIP
       Bill provided the balance sheet with a cr£1,402 which includes the start-up
       grant from EW of £995. Membership has risen to 46. The LCA Affiliation
                                                                                        Tony/Bill
       fee is due and Tony agreed to pay this at the next LCA meeting and to also
       ask Gill Lawson for a room hire bill to end March 2011.

3.     ENVIRONMENTAL WALES GRANT
       Having received the Start-up grant, these funds must be spent by end
       March as specified. Receipts to be submitted to the next meeting as
       follows:
       a.      Telephone £20.00 : Gareth and Bill
               Postage £30.00 : Gareth and Bill
               Publicity and Information leaflet £200 : Gareth to cost the A5 leaflet
               Interpretation Board by Alec will cost £80-£100 (if we have the
               money and if EW happy to count these as notice boards).
               Tools £50 : Tony to buy children’s gardening gloves
               Sundries £100 ( printer cartridges £90/paper £10) : Sue/Gareth to
               buy cartridges £45 each. Gareth to purchase paper
               Meeting and AGM room hire: Tony to obtain bill from Gill Lawson.
               Transport £30 : Gareth
               Volunteer expenses £30 : Gareth
               Notice board/gazebo/office equipment £300 : Tony to cost gazebo,
                                                                                        Alec
               Alec to see if the Council have any folding chairs and tables for the
               kiosk.
               Website development and hosting fee £160 : Gareth

       b.     A sample A5 leaflet for distribution in the planned membership drive
              was produced by Gareth. The Committee felt this year’s Workdays
              should be omitted so circulation not restricted to this year and a        Gareth
              footnote “available in Welsh on request” be inserted on the bottom
              of the leaflet. The Committee approved the format and Gareth to
              order copies.
              Gareth to email Sue a copy for translation into Welsh.
                                                                                        Gareth/Sue
4.     KIOSK AND FURNITURE
       Norbert had made enquiries to Admiral Insurance regarding surplus
       furniture but none was available. However, as a result of this enquiry, the
       company expressed interest in making a donation towards the endeavours
       of the Friends Group if we sent a suitable request. To access a grant, we
     would need to produce a letter outlining the Groups aims, the volunteer
     work we propose doing within the park, membership numbers and the               Norbert
     difficulties raising funds. Norbert agreed to put together a draft letter for
     discussion at the next meeting.
                                                                                     Alec
     Alec is to request the Parks Dept install the Kiosk in the park asap.

5.   OUT OF THE WOODS EVENT 21ST AUGUST
     In the absence of Paul, Alec agreed to reserve a pitch for the Group,           Alec/Paul
     outside the main tent.

6.   PARTNERSHIPS WITH THE PARKS DEPARTMENT
     a.   Workdays - agreed we would not specify on notices the work
          intended, giving greater flexibility due to weather conditions, etc.

     b.     Alec confirmed that Parks Calendar should be available shortly.

     c.     Tidy Towns grants may be available from April. Alec
            recommended the Group consider and agree the types of
            projects, requiring funding, they propose and submit the                 All
            application asap. All the Committee are to consider projects and         Comm
            bring ideas to the next meeting.                                         Members

     d.     Disabled Toilets – ascertain if they are accessed by radar key.
                                                                                     Alec
     e.     Interpretation Board will cost £80 - £100. See EW grant
                                                                                     Gareth
     f.     Items for next Council meeting :
            i.     Drainage of spring on main path near underpass
            ii.    Delivery of kiosk                                                 Alec
            iii.   Suitable disabled toilet facilities/radar key
            iv.    Temporary gardening staff for 2011
            v.     Knotweed spraying

     g.     Gareth, Sue and Alec to discuss with Martyn where the database
                                                                                     Gareth/
            should be stored at the next Workday.                                    Sue/Alec

     h.     Carving – Alan produced a paper and unique idea for a carving.
            He suggested the group build a picnic area on the top field for
            families. The carvings, a Thomas the Tank Engine with trucks
            and Teddy Bear, would be placed in this area. Alec to discuss
            with the Rangers who did the tree carving in Coed-y-Felin and if         Alec
            feasible, obtain a quote on the cost. The Group will then seek
            appropriate funding.

     i.     Rotary Club sign – no information as the sign was part of a large
            consignment ordered nationally for Rotary clubs.

     j.     No further information. If the Parks Department do consider a
            gentle access for wheelchairs to the right of the main path just
            beyond the underpass, as part of their next application for a
            Landfill Tax Credit grant, they will need to consider that in the        Parks
            area proposed, there are overhead power lines which will have            Dept
            implications on the machinery used.

7.   POWER LINES UPDATE
     Alec reported that Adrian Jones had received a letter from Western
     Power
      but had previously been unaware of the proposal for this work. The Parks
      Dept has now sourced funding to prepare the trench, using the contractors
      currently on site laying the new pathway. Paul to liaise with Adrian Jones        Paul
      on all matters relevant to this item and to also discuss trench/power to the
                                                                                        Sue
      Kiosk. Sue to email Alec Paul’s email address.

8.    ARCHWAY UPDATE
      In the absence of Paul there was no update. Paul to report to the next            Paul
      meeting.

9.    VIEW FROM TOP FIELD
      The Golf Club currently have tree surgeon/contractors on site removing
      trees on their land (along the boundary behind the summerhouse). They
      are now contacting Malcolm Frazer (Cardiff Council) to also fell a fir tree on
      the Cefn Onn Park side of the fence. Gareth is hoping that the Golf Club
      will arrange the removal of the trees blotting the view from the top field to     Gareth
      the Channel. Gareth to contact the Golf Club to confirm arrangements.
      Alec confirmed that he and Raj will tidy the hedge along that boundary also       Alec/Raj
      blocking the view.

10.   WEBSITE                                                                           Gareth
      Gareth will be working on setting up this site in the forthcoming week in
      order to spend the EW funding.

11.   DESIGN LOGO                                                                       Tony
      Tony suggested that as Cefn Onn means “hillside of ash trees” the logo
      should consist of ash trees in front of a hill and in the foreground, a pond.
      He is approaching a member of his family to possibly produce a drawing.

12.   AGM
      Sue had emailed Gill Lawson to book the Main Hall at the Old School for
      either a Tuesday or Thursday in June. Unfortunately these dates were all          Sue
      booked. Sue to check if there is any availability on a Monday and if not,
      book the small hall at the Lisvane Memorial Hall.
                                                                                        Tony
      Tony is to approach Derek Jones to see if he will audit our accounts ready
      for the AGM.

13.   ANY OTHER BUSINESS
                                                                                        All
      (a)      Consider specific projects for further grant applications to EW.         Comm
      Initial suggestions are a wildlife pond, silting ponds. All Committee             Members
      members to consider these ideas and propose any of their own – all ideas
      to be discussed at the next meeting in preparation of an application.

      (b)     Joy and Sue had attended the LCA meeting in January at which the          Sue/Joy
      arrangements for the Lisvane Fete were discussed. Agreed our Group will           Tony
      confirm our intention to display again this year. All Committee members
      are asked to provide a bottle (anything from ketchup to Chateau Lafitte) for
      the bottle stall, as the money raised from this stall is used against the costs
      of holding the Fete.

      During the week of the Fete there will be a Quiz night and it was suggested
      our Group form a team and have a night out together.

      (c)    Bill and Mike will be attending the next Friends Forum.
14.   DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING
      Monday 28 March at the Old School, Lisvane – 7-9pm

								
To top