LODDON PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of a Meeting
of Loddon Parish Council
held in The Library Annexe
on Thursday 14 April 2011 at 7.00pm
Present: Councillors Jane Hale, Sarah Morris, Linda Wilson, Dorothy Jones, Michael
Roe, Alan Counter (until 8.10pm), June Strickland, Rod Williams, Judith Gray and
Also present were Christine Smith (clerk), Sue Sursham (RFO), County Councillor
Adrian Gunson (until 8pm), Sgt Lowndes-Burt (until (7.45pm) and 7 members of the
221. Welcome – The chair welcomed those present
222. Apologies – were received and accepted from District Councillor Colin Gould
(attending another meeting)
223. Declarations of Interest – Cllrs Jane Hale and Linda Wilson declared personal
interests in agenda item 13 (Old Town Hall). Cllrs Sarah Morris and Alan
Counter declared personal interests in agenda item 15 (trees on allotment
224. Previous Minutes – the minutes of a meeting held on Thursday 10 March 2011
were circulated, APPROVED and signed by the chairman.
225. Police Report – Sgt Lowndes-Burt reported that there had been ten crimes in
the area during the past month, including incidents of arson. A discussion took
place on recent anti-social behaviour in the Harvey Green area. Sgt Lowndes-
Burt urged members of the public to report all incidents.
It was proposed that the order of the agenda be changed; this was AGREED
226. County Councillor’s and District Councillor’s Reports – County Councillor
Gunson’s report was as circulated. He added that he was in discussions with the
police regarding new working arrangements and reported that the late bus from
Norwich was now slightly earlier. District Councillor Gould’s report was tabled in
227. Trees at the Allotment Gardens – A report was awaited from the South Norfolk
Council tree officer: it was AGREED to defer the matter until the next meeting.
228. Planning Decisions – the following decision was noted:
a) 2010/2075/F – Framlingham House Investments, Adjacent Units A-K, Little
Money Road, Loddon – Extension of time limit to planning permission
LPC 2173c8ba-d627-476e-ab14-12572a44580f.doc 42
2008/0281/F – construction of 3 industrial/warehouse units – APPROVED with
229. Planning Applications – The council considered the following planning
applications; [In order to minimize light pollution the parish council recommended
that any outdoor lights associated with any of the applications below should be:
i) fully shielded ii) directed downwards iii) switched on only when needed iv)
white light low energy lamps and not orange or pink sodium sources]
a) BA/2011/0026/FUL – Mr Roger Stevens, Barton Lodge, Pyes Mill
Road, Loddon – Proposed double garage to replace two single
garages – APPROVE subject to the new garage not being used
as a separate dwelling
b) 2011/0453 – Mr Kevin Groom, 41 Bridge Street, Loddon – proposed
erection of a wooden shed for storage – APPROVE
the following item was received after publication of the agenda; the clerk was delegated authority
to respond after consultation with neighbours:
c) 2011/0523 – Ms C Tacon, 14 High Bungay Road, Loddon –
proposed loft conversion with first floor velux rooflights and rear
gable window, residential use – APPROVE subject to no
neighbourhood objections regarding loss of amenity (privacy)
230. Planning Correspondence – The following items were received and NOTED:
a) Stuart Shortman, Solicitor to South Norfolk Council –
correspondence relating to meeting with developers, pre-
determination and the Localism Bill
b) Broads Authority – Local Development Framework – development
management policies DPD: notification of submission
c) 2005/1029/CU – Hales Hall - application for variation of condition
to allow additional functions, up to a maximum of 75 per calendar
year – notification that the application has been withdrawn
The following item was received after publication of the agenda:
d) Copy of letter to District Councillor Gould from Taylor Wimpey
regarding the proposed redevelopment of the former Ex-Press
Plastics site in Beccles Road, Loddon
The meeting was adjourned at 8.20pm for public participation and reconvened at
231. Chairman’s Report –The chair reminded councilors to give the finance officer
their instructions on their councilor allowances. She also thanked all serving
councilors for their work during the past four years.
232. Finance Report – a report was circulated, APPROVED and signed by the chair
and the RFO. The RFO reported that the allotment plot measurements had been
checked following a query from a tenant; some plot sizes varied slightly from the
allotment register. The tenants would be notified of the findings, the register
corrected and adjustments made to tenants’ invoices for 2012/13.
LPC 2173c8ba-d627-476e-ab14-12572a44580f.doc 43
233. Councillors’ Reports – Cllr Michael Roe reported that he had attended a ‘Green
Day’ at Loddon Infant School and had planted trees in the secret garden. He
added that hedging had now been planted around the pond on the hockey field.
Cllr June Strickland reported that a contractor had been appointed to produce the
audio guides and that a letter of support for the project had been received from
the Loddon History Group.
Cllr Margaret Wallace stated that she had attended a meeting of Loddon Charity
Trustees with Cllr Dorothy Jones and had responded to the Broads Plan
consultation. She added that she had attended a Broads Forum with Cllrs Alan
Counter and Michael Roe, but had found it to be irrelevant as no parish issues
Cllr Linda Wilson reported that the Loddon doctors were considering planting a
tree to mark the Royal wedding at their new site in George Lane and added that
Farthing Green would be trimmed with bunting and flags in celebration of the
wedding day. Cllr Wilson added that she had attended an interesting conference
with Cllr Michael Roe on retail regeneration.
Cllr Dorothy Jones stated that Hales Green was to be sprayed for weeds and that
she had been consulting with local landowners regarding the lack of consultation
on flood defences on the River Chet.
Cllr Judith Gray, who was standing down at the end of the current term, thanked
the council for its support.
234. Old Town Hall – this would be carried forward until the next meeting.
235. Swan Inn – after discussion it was unanimously AGREED that the council would
take action to try to establish an official Right of Way through the Swan yard
between Bridge Street and Sale Court. It was AGREED that the matter of the
future of the building should be deferred until the next meeting.
236. Trees at the Jubilee Hall Playing Field – it was AGREED that this should be
discussed at the meeting in June.
237. Chedgrave Parish Council Contribution to Playing Field – an informal
meeting had taken place at the request of Chedgrave parish council with Loddon
parish council playing field committee members. Chedgrave parish council had
stated that it no longer wished to contribute to the maintenance of the playing
fields. It was AGREED that this would be deferred until the June meeting to
allow for information to be gathered.
238. Grant Request – a request from East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices was
considered and REFUSED.
239. Grant Request – a request from Davy Place Sheltered Housing Gardening Club
was considered: it was AGREED to make a grant of £50
240. Grant Request – a request from Hales Bowls Club was considered and
LPC 2173c8ba-d627-476e-ab14-12572a44580f.doc 44
241. Correspondence – A list of significant correspondence, which had been
previously circulated, was NOTED.
242. Date of Next Meeting – confirmed as Thursday 12 May 2011 at 7pm in the
Due to the confidential nature of the next item it was agreed that the press and
public would be excluded
243. Freedom of Loddon Award 2011 – nominations for the award were considered
and a recipient AGREED. The presentation of the award would be arranged at a
The formal meeting ended at 9.44pm
LPC 2173c8ba-d627-476e-ab14-12572a44580f.doc 45