Joint Provost / Senate Council General Education and Reform Assessment
Planning and Coordinating Committee
Notes, February 6, 2006
Attendees Present: Ruth Beattie, Larry Grabau, Richard Greissman, Phil
Kraemer, Deb Moore, Tad Pedigo, Connie Ray, Bill Rayens, Rebecca Scott,
Gerald Smith, Ernie Yanarella
1. The committee members began by discussing the College of Communications
& Information forum on January 30. There was good representation of the
External Review Committee (ERC) and GERA. The comment from the forum
that the introduction was too long was taken under consideration. For the
College of Education forum (to be only one hour long), it was decided that the
introductory slides will be handed out immediately before the meeting, and very
quickly reviewed before moving on to the rest of the presentation. Ernie spoke
with a faculty member concerned that the majority of comments at the CIS forum
were made by male faculty members. The committee members all agreed that
comments from all faculty members are important.
2. Committee members again confirmed that forum notes would be sent to the
college dean, with a request that they be emailed to all faculty of the college.
The email should include the GERA web address. The contact person will be
included in the email. Members also agreed that offering feedback on the notes
will be an important responsibility of the contact person. The committee
discussed the viability and value of holding three forums for the College of Arts &
Sciences, essentially the same event at different times, to accommodate the
large numbers of faculty in that College.
3. For the Education forum, Diane Deen will be the official note taker, although
other note takers will be in attendance. Ernie will be the GERA facilitator. It was
thought that the Community/Business forum would not take place until April. Deb
suggested looking into a special insert of the UK News that would offer a
synopsis of the forums. Ernie noted that Alan would be stepping down as chair
of the ERC, but would stay on as a member. It was likely a current ERC member
would serve as chair.
4. Bill asked about what GERA members would like to see in the final ERC
report. The following items were suggested, with starred (“*”) items of the utmost
*The final, perhaps modified, core learning outcomes.
Whether or not there was strong enough support for a four-year
general education program.
Notes, GERA Meeting 1-23-06 Page 1 of 2
*A clear statement suggesting (if supported in the forums) that
general education be turned toward an outcome-based strategy
and the importance of continuous assessment.
Suggestions for an implementation committee, including how
curriculum could be constructed.
A clear definition of the “next step.”
Mention of whether basic skills would be taught by incorporation
into the core learning outcomes, or by specific skill courses.
Sheila will prepare a handout of the introductory slides for
distribution immediately before the Education forum; look into the
feasibility of utilizing a special insert in UK News; and send the
Education brochure/invitations to Michele Duda in the Dean’s Office
for email distribution.
Phil again volunteered personnel in his area to fold and hand deliver
the brochure/invitations; and will work on identifying a time/place for
the Engineering and Honors forums.
Deb will work on identifying a time/place for the Social Work and
Health Sciences forums; and begin preparing assessment
documents to give the ERC an idea of what/how should be assessed,
and various methodologies currently in use at universities across
the country—PLEASE FORWARD SUGGESTIONS TO HER ABOUT
ANY METHODOLOGIES OF INTEREST OR NOTABLE ASSESSMENT
EFFORTS (SCHOOLS)THAT YOU WOULD LIKE HER INCLUDE IN
Richard will work on identifying a time/place for the Fine Arts forum.
Ernie will work on identifying a time/place for the Agriculture forum;
and talk with Provost Smith about when it would be appropriate for
incoming provost Subbaswamy to attend a GERA meeting for a
briefing of efforts thus far.
Discussion topics for February 13, 2006: (1) review of notes from 2-6-06, if
necessary; and (2) discussion of the AAC&U meeting in Washington D.C. in June
Notes, GERA Meeting 1-23-06 Page 2 of 2