Drake Neighborhood Association Minutes
August 10, 2005
Members present: Carl McPherson, Trish Davis, Bill LaHay, Joachim Jonassen,
Daniel Koenig, Jennifer Lawler, Patti McKee, Jennifer Sayers, Heidi Wessels,
Members absent: David Courard-Hauri, Dean Blum, Dolph Pulliam, Eddie
1- Approve Minutes- The following corrections were made to the minutes:
#4 New Business- para 2 and 3 Marty’s last name correction to Schmitt
#5 Organization reports- para 4 should read ‘Dan K motioned to hire the same
contractor to repeat, Joachim Jonassen seconded’
Heidi asked if David CH and Larry James had issued the letter to Iowa Realty as
noted in the NBSD report of last month. Heidi will make contact with David to
see if this has been done.
Heidi W moved to approve the minutes, Jennifer Sayers seconded. The
minutes were approved.
2- Treasurer’s Report- The current DNA balance is $19,812.39. Trish will
move a portion of the funds to a savings account per the approval of the July
minutes at today’s meeting.
3- Neighborhood Based Service Delivery- Lt. Joanne Pollock was
introduced as the new NBSD Contact. Her contact information is as follows:
Office phone: 283-4922
Office fax: 283-4723
Lt. Pollock asked for clarification of the boundaries of the DNA. Members noted
the DNA is mapped as 42nd Street on the West, MLK on the East, Franklin on
the north and I-235 on the south. Also noted was that although other
neighborhood associations exist within the DNA boundaries (Carpenter, Drake
Park, etc.), the DNA remains as support and represents those areas as well.
Lt. Pollock noted she would include those areas in her monthly board reports to
Lt. Pollock noted monitoring of various homes in the 22nd block of Carpenter
areas in Drake Park, 24th Street, and the Kum and Go on University.
4- New Business
a) Heidi noted that Lt. Jeff Aldrich was to be recognized for his service to
the DNA at tonight’s meeting. Unfortunately, Lt. Aldrich was unable to
attend. The DNA will plan to recognize Jeff at the next board meeting.
b) Joachim informed the board of “the painted homes parade” that is
scheduled to take place on September 16th and 17th. The parade is
being organized by Allen Coppock who owns a painting business in Des
Allen and a team of volunteers and other local painters have the goal
of painting 15 houses in 3 blocks of the Carpenter Neighborhood. He
has received various sponsors (Sherwin Williams, Clear Channel, KCCI
will cover) for the event and Drake fraternities and sororities will be
participating as well. Joachim requested volunteers from the DNA to
support this effort as well as to support the Carpenter area.
Volunteers are needed for Sunday, September 17th. If interested,
please contact Joachim at 246-0462 or e-mail at
Joachim also asked what the process was to receive a donation from
the DNA to support this effort. Trish noted the board needed 2 votes
to approve donations over $200. Joachim will contact David C-H to
ask if a board vote via e-mail is acceptable if a donation is asked for by
the organizer, and time does not permit a formal gathering for 2 votes.
c) It was noted that there will not be a second Scrub Day this year.
d) Bill LaHay noted that Planet Sub is opening a new location at the 24th
and University project. They are eager to start a relationship with the
DNA. Heidi will contact the Owner of the business to discuss
e) Dan K asked where we were with new board member recruitment.
David C-H is to name a nominating committee to present prospects to
the board. Dan announced he will be resigning from the board at the
end of this year due to other obligations. It was noted that it is
important to have someone from the DBA on the board of directors.
Jennifer Sayers is currently serving in both capacities.
5. Old Business
a) A second vote was held to approve a $750 dollar sponsorship from the
DNA for the Dog Town Fest to be held on Saturday, September 10th.
Heidi moved to approved, Jennifer S. seconded, motion carried and the
sponsorship was approved.
It was noted that volunteers will be needed to man a DNA booth the
day of the event. Marty volunteered to man the booth and will
recruit others as necessary.
b) The revised by-laws were presented. The by-laws were revised at the
general membership potluck on Saturday, August 6th. Attached to the
minutes are the 2nd round of modifications. The attached by-laws will
be brought to the general membership for approval at the next
c) Bill LaHay noted he has located the March, 2005, DNA minutes and
they will be distributed. It was noted that Bill will be resigning from
the position as secretary, but will remain on the board. David C-H
needs to name an interim replacement for this position.
6. Organizational Reports
a) Drake University- N/A
b) DBA- The association is finishing up coupon sheets that will go out to
the Drake students. Current efforts are underway to start group
advertising for the DBA members.
c) Membership- Heidi noted the membership committee met on 8/8 to
discuss recruitment. The committee will be focusing on the following:
Updating the membership recruitment piece noting assets to
being a member.
Work on diversifying relationships with all members of the
neighborhood. Heidi will work with local community leaders to
see how to connect with those we have been unable to reach.
Take up the idea of creating a welcoming committee (based on
the house sale lists) to reach out to new members of the
Heidi and Jennifer S. will work quickly to create a new
membership brochure to be present at upcoming functions
including Dog Fest and the Kingman Island Cruise.
Heidi also noted the committee feels it is important to understand
the desire of other board members for what the focus should be
of the DNA. Some membership committee members commented
that in order for recruitment to be successful, new members need
to understand the committee structure and how they can
participate within the DNA. It was suggested by the committee
that the board and president work on strengthening the
Heidi asked where the board is with the 501C3 structure.
Carl suggested that board members e-mail to David C-H. where
they feel priorities should be placed within the DNA.
d.) Kingman Island Cruise- Marty noted that Saturday, August 27th from
3-6PM the Kingman Island Cruise will be held. Marty would like
membership information at the event (Heidi and Jennifer S to create).
A press release will go out soon. Marty asked for volunteers at the
event. She will send out an e-mail to the board with a volunteer
Marty noted there is not much activity going on with the House Tour
committee or the Michael Thomas Memorial Garden Committee.
Marty asked if she could move the tents out of the church storage area
to her house in order to protect them. The board had no issue with
this and she will proceed with moving the tents.
The meeting adjourned at 8:45 PM.