Civic_Issues 100903 by wanghonghx


									    Welcome to KTH -                       Royal Institute of Technology !

                                         KTH Haninge
                                         KTH Flemingsberg
                                         KTH Södertälje

KTH Campus
Main Campus

              KTH Campus                 KTH Kista
              (School of Architecture)

 Practical information today

• Right of Residence (EU/EEA) and Residence
  Permit (non-EU/EEA)
• Civic Registration Number
• Bank account
• Health & Insurance
• Transportation
• Mobile operators
• Questions & Answers

International Coordinators
The International Coordinators at KTH
schools are your contact persons for:

   • Registration

   • Throughout studies: student

   • Certificates of studies, transcript of

   • Help with study-related practical
   matters (like for example Passage cards
   for the access to KTH building premises.

   - Earliest one day (24 hours) after
   registration you can receive the Passage
   card and log-in information for your
   computer/KTH e-mail account)

   • And much more…

EU+EEA citizens - Right of Residence
  •   EU + EEA citizens (Lichtenstein, Norway + Iceland) need to
      register the right of residence
  •   Swiss citizens still need to apply for a Residence permit

  •   At the Swedish Migration Board (“Migrationsverket”)
  •   No later than 3 months after entering Sweden

  •   Application:

      - Internet:
      - Best is to visit the Migration Board (Pyramidvägen 2A, Solna)
      before you submit the application to check:

           - if your documentation is complete;
           - (eventually) questions how to fill out the application form
  •   Consequence for incomplete application: request for completion of
      documents (affects the proceeding time)
EU+EEA citizens - Right of Residence

   •   Enclose copies of:

       - Valid passport or ID card

       - Letter of Acceptance from KTH

       - Assurance that you have sufficient funds for your

       - Documented proof that you have comprehensive health
       insurance that is valid in Sweden.

   •   Info at -> English -> Studies ->
       EU/EEA citizens

Extension of Residence Permit
 (for non EU/EEA citizens staying more than 12 months)

 •   Residence Permit for studies is granted for 12 months at a
 •   Renewal of Residence Permit takes at least 8 weeks (up to 3
     months). You must apply before your current permit

 •   You are entitled to stay in Sweden while the extension
     request is being processed

 •   If you leave, you will not be allowed to return to Sweden
     until you get your residence permit (please pay attention to
     this if planning trips in the period when your RP expires!)

Extension of Residence Permit                            (cont.)

  •   At the Permit Unit of the Swedish Migration Board
      (‘‘Migrationsverket’’) in Solna, Pyramidvägen 2A

  •   Required documents:
      - Sufficient study results (15 ECTS for the first
      academic year, 22.5 during the second academic year)
      - Bank documents, showing that your funding for the
      past year was sufficient (amount 7300 SEK/month)
      - Proof that you have sufficient funding for the
      remaining duration of studies

  •   There is no need to bring a picture: photographing when
      submitting the application
  •   The fee is SEK 1000

      Civic Registration Number
   Students who study in Sweden for more than 12 months should
   apply for a Swedish civic registration number (“personnummer’’)

• As soon as possible since this procedure is at the moment
  estimated to take at least 4-6 weeks!
• NOTE: you need an address where you can receive the number
• ASK your coordinator if you can use the administration office in
  your school until you get a permanent address!!

Reasons why?
• Medical care at standard patient fees (same as for Swedish citizens)
• You can buy insurance in Sweden
• Bank account (more options or even a condition)

For those with civic registration number - don’t forget to:
• Report the change of address when you move within Sweden
• Report when leaving Sweden (not later than 1 week before
                 (Written material in the Blue folder!)
Civic Registration Number                             (cont.)

The Swedish Tax Agency (“Skatteverket”) is the authority
that will issue the civic registrations numbers.

•   Visiting address:
    Klara Vattugränd 1

•   Opening hours:

Please bring your:

•   Passport with residence permit (right of residence for
    EU/EEA citizens)
•   Letter of Acceptance from KTH

             (Written material in the Blue folder!)

•   KTH international students usually open a bank
    account in a Swedish bank.

•   We recommend:
    - SEB – accept all international students during all
    opening hours. Application form provided at the

•   The offers vary depending on the bank and if the
    student has a Swedish civic registration number
    (staying minimum 12 months):
    - SEB – with or without civic registration number
    - Nordea – possible only: with civic registration
    number and ONLY accept a very specific group of
    exchange students.
    - Handelsbanken – possible only: with civic
    registration number AND Swedish ID card

    More information about the offers for SEB are
    provided in the blue folder (or at KTH Student Desk).

                     Banking            (cont.)

•   Pay bills without a Swedish bank account

     •   Nordea – 75 SEK/bill (for customers), 150 SEK(non-customers)
     •   SEB – 65 SEK/bill (for customers), 130 SEK(non-customers)
     •   FOREX – 35 SEK/bill
     •   EXCHANGE – 35 SEK/bill
     •   ICA Nära (grocery store) – 35 SEK/bill
     •   Direkten - (convenient chain store) - 29 SEK/bill. E.g. at
         Odengatan 52 (opposite to Stadsbiblioteket/Main Public Library)
     •   Daglivs (supermarket) – 27 SEK/bill.
     •   Certain small kiosks where you can also buy mobile phone SIM
         cards and/or cash cards (credits for calls)

                          Health care
A Health Care Guide Brochure for medical and dental
treatment is included in your blue folder (you will receive it
at your school). Study this carefully!

•Nordic/EU/EEA Citizens
-The EU-card entitles you to health care under the same
conditions and prices as the Swedes.

-The card can be ordered from the social insurance office
in your home country. Always bring it with you when
seeking medical treatment!

•Students from non EU/EEA countries
- Pay full medical fees

- Therefore it is very important to have full insurance
coverage! (Medical costs might be reimbursed from your
insurance company.)

           Medical Treatment
In case of sickness/minor accident call:

Stockholm Health Care Guide – (“Vårdguiden” )
08 - 320 100 (24 hours available )

- You will speak to an experienced nurse, who can give you a direct
advice which medicine to buy in case of smaller problems or to help you
decide whether you need to contact a medical centre (than- where to go
and book a time to visit a doctor)
- Don’t forget to cancel the appointment if you are prevented to go (if
you don’t cancel it, you will need to pay the same fee as you have had
been there)!

Dental treatment
• See the Health Care Guide Brochure (in the blue folder) for information
on where you can go to get help (addresses).
• Check the prices in advance! It is relatively expensive.

Emergency assistance – dial 112!
Ambulance / Police / Fire department
Make sure you have a complete insurance
• It is recommended that you buy a complete insurance
in your home country, covering:
   • Personal injury
   • Medical and dental care
   • Liability cover (if you cause an accident and are subject
   to claim of damages)
   • Legal expenses cover
   • Personal belongings (luggage, etc)

• After receiving your Swedish civic registration number
you can buy a so called comprehensive insurance in
• Trygg Hansa ( can offer this at
good price.
For more information contact:
          Local transport by SL

•   SL - Stockholm Local Transportation System (
    provides transport throughout the greater Stockholm area.

•   With SL-card you can travel by
    - Bus
    - Commuter train (pendeltåg)
    - Metro/underground (tunnelbana)
    - Boat

•   The SL card: ‘‘Access card’’ - chargeable card for 30 or 90

•   Ticket-strip of prepaid coupons (‘‘Remsa’’)

         Local transport by SL                       (cont.)

•   SL Access card and Ticket strip can be bought at:
    -SL Centres, underground or commuter train stations or in any
    ‘‘Pressbyrån’’ (in-station convenience stores).

•   Individual tickets: Pressbyrån, station, sms - but NOT in the buss.

•   Student discount:
    in September you will get your student ID card which enables you
    to buy a SL Access card with student discount.

•   The SL card with student discount you can buy even now (but in
    meantime until you get the student ID card in case of control you will
    use a temporary SL-certificate).

•   To get a temporary SL-certificate: provide a signed registration
    form stating that you study at least 75 % of full-time (contact your
    program coordinator or corresponding contact person at KTH school).

       Local transport by SL                       (cont.)

•   At ticket inspections prepare to show:

    1. SL Access card;
    2. valid student ID (until you get it you can show the
    temporary SL-certificate );
    3. passport or international ID card!!! (if you don’t have
    it, you will have to pay a fine)

Local transport by SL                 (cont.)

Information in English on SL’s web pages :

Local transport by SL   (cont.)

The KTH Student Union, THS

•   THS International – (formerly known as International
    Student Service, ISS) is organizing social and educational
    activities for international students.
•   Seated at KTH Campus
•   “Nymble” = Name of the Student Union building

                     Mobile operators
•   Tele2 Comviq sponsors all international students with a SIM
    card. THS International provide them in their welcome
    packages during introduction weeks.

•   SIM-card will be activated by making the first call.

•   when loading the cash card (credits)
    choose to buy cash card ’Comviq Amigos’
    Most popular for their good prices for
    international calls

•   Telephone cash cards are sold
     for example at: 7–Eleven, Pressbyrån (convenient store)…

•   Charge your SIM-card every month to keep low prices! (otherwise
    the Amigos prices will ’turn’ to Bas - which is more expensive)

•   Check up other mobile phone operators as well:
    for example: 3, Telia, Telenor, Halebop..
KTH International Student Desk

    Questions regarding the
   subjects to be presented
  today by KTH International
    Student Desk direct to:

   Drottning Kristinas väg 4

       Thank you.

Enjoy your stay at KTH!

    KTH International Student Desk

          Irina and Susana


To top