Symbol Meaning Word Phrases
Is less than Fewer than,
Is greater than More than,
≤ Is less than or
At most, no
≥ Is greater than
or equal to
At least, no less
An inequality states that two quantities either are
not equal or may not be equal.
When graphing inequalities on a number line:
An OPEN circle means that the number is not
included in the solution set. (< & >)
A CLOSED circle means that the number is
included in the solution set. (≤ & ≥)
- Which graphs on your worksheet will be open?
___, ___, ___, ___, ___.
- Which graphs on your worksheet will be closed?
___, ___, ___, ___, ___, ___, ___.
Write an inequality for each situation.
1) There are at least 15 people in the waiting
2) No more than 15 girls can make the
3) You must make at least a 60 to pass the class.
4) You must be at least 5’ tall to ride the Farris
5) You cannot invite more than 8 people to your