Information and Communication
Technology in Nursing Education
Ass. prof. Grete Oline Hole, Bergen University College
Research fellow Marit Graue, University of Bergen
Ass. prof. Marjolein M. Iversen, Bergen University College
• The Norwegian Ministry of Health aims to use ICT as
a tool of quality and effectiveness improvement.
• Norway is well equipped with Personal Computers
both in public and private use.
• Internet, with the World-wide-Web is accessible in
every part of Norway.
• Women use the technology to a far lesser degree
than men do.
Further Educaton in Diabetic Nursing
• A course of 30 ECTS in Diabetic Nursing is offered
at Bergen University College.
• The first and only of its kind in Norway.
• Part-time course with 7 week-long gatherings
throughout a year.
• Between the gatherings, the students are working
individual or in groups.
• The 25 students are from all over Norway.
Applying new technology in
the education of nurses
A pilot project aiming at:
• testing and evaluating the use of web-supported
• testing and evaluating the use of MCU
• increasing the students’ general PC- competence
and ability to use databases
Need for Long Distance Learning
Learning environment with ICT
Multiple Conference Unit
Challenges for the future
• with other courses at our college
• with the other studios
• Technical support available at any time
• In progress:
• Chat rooms
• Professional support from the lecturers
available through the web-side
• International network for clinical nursing and
• Web-supported learning environment has become a
success, and the students have achieved greater
• MCU has been used with good results and positive
• With these experiences as a background, Bergen
University College will continue to apply these
tools in course-offers
• The pilot project has become a national success,
and we hope to achieve an international
cooperation on this field in the future
Use of ICT: Further education in diabetic nursing:
Ass. prof. Marjolein M. Iversen
Ass. prof. Grete Oline Hole Phone: 55 58 55 18
Research fellow Marit Graue
Address: Mail: email@example.com
Faculty of Health and Social Sciences Phone: 55 58 5530
Bergen University College
Haukelandsbakken 45 Address:
N -5009, Bergen Faculty of Health and Social Sciences
Norway Bergen University College
Phone:+(47) 55 58 55 40 N -5009, Bergen
Fax +(47) 55 58 55 80