Yourself From Infection
Ways to Protect Against
• Avoid people with colds or the flu.
• Bathe daily and gently dry your skin.
• Use lotion to help prevent cracks in your skin.
• Prevent cuts or scrapes, which can provide places for
infection to enter your body.
• Handle sharp objects with caution. Wear protective
gloves when appropriate.
• If you get a cut or scrape, cover it with a clean
bandage until it heals.
• Always wash your hands with soap and plenty of
water to avoid transmission of infection through
things that you touch.
Your Best Protection will always
Keeping Your Skin Clean
• Your skin weighs 8 to
• Your skin is 22 feet
• The skin protects
infection, heat, cold,
and stores fats and
Some Ways You Are Able to Keep
Your Skin Clean
• Taking a bath daily
• Washing your hair to prevent head lice
• Wearing clean clothes each day
• Washing Your Hands
– Before and after each meal
– Handling an unknown object
– After each bathroom use
What procedure is the most effective
way to prevent infection among the list
we just discussed?
Hands Down, it’s got to be
• According to the US
Centers for Disease
"handwashing is the
for preventing the
spread of infection."
Healthy, Clean Skin = Germ
• Washing your hands is an excellent way of
aiding the skin barrier that germs are forced
to pass through in order to reach the inside
of your body.
• You are aiding the skin by washing off dead
skin cells that may hold dangerous toxins.
• The body needs to be thoroughly cleaned each
day to prevent infection and the smell of
Proper Handwashing Procedure
(WRITE THIS DOWN)
• Step1- Turn on water, preferably warm, or
comfortable temperature to rinse hands before
• Step2- Use approximately a dime sized of liquid soap.
• Step3- Lather and rub hands together for at least 20
seconds or sing “Happy Birthday” song twice.
• Step4- Be sure to wash well between fingers and
under nails, although using a nail brush is not
• Step5- Rinse soap off hands.
• Step6 –Using two paper towels, dry hands completely.
• Step7- Turn off faucet with paper towels, then
discard the towel in the garbage can.
• Complete the test being handed out to
the best of your ability.
• Read each question slowly and try not to
• Good Luck!