National Ski Patrol
Maine Region Meeting
September 20, 2009
Attendees: 11 (3%)
Mountains Represented: 8 (57%)
Patrol Directors: 5 (35%)
Big Rock: Joe Trevors, PD
Camden-Snowbowl: Galen Todd, PD
Eaton Mtn: Brad Smolin, PD
Hermon Mountain: Robert Baker, PD
Lost Valley: Roland Gaumont, PD, Gerry Desjardins
Mt. Abram: John Kane
Shawnee Peak: Dan Pascucci, Paul Rawson, Darryl Trafford
Sunday River: Scott Krall
10 AM: Introductions, meeting objectives / overview
This meeting is designated for PD and Officers
RD Provided general status of the region – report presented
Ski & Tobbogan (Jim Wackell): All dates posted to the website. S&T exam scheduled
for March 6, 2009. All dates confirmed just waiting for snow.
OEC (Dan Pascucci): Review of IT Refresher in Harrison, ME went smoothly. Initial
reports indicate very informative and productive. Dan talked about the delinquent list
heading into the new season. Given that National is converting over to a new computer
system and on line registration, these files have been slow to be updated. Therefore,
asked PD’s not to worry until after the refreshers are completed. After that he would
review again and get back with those respective PD’s to discuss specifics with regard to
Because of the new IT’s in Maine, we were able to send 1 minimum and most times 2
IT’s to nearly all OEC registered courses and events throughout Maine. All Refreshers
are now scheduled and on the website. A consideration of a make up refresher will be
considered based on the region members needing one.
Dan is very satisfied with which the mountains are coming together in delivering
consistent information at the many different refreshers. He believes we have everyone
now wanting to be in compliance and asking for the region’s assistance rather than the
other way around. This is proving to be a win / win for our members.
ME Region Mtg 9/20/2009 Page: 1
Senior EMM (Paul Rawson): Paul stated that we are in good shape with regards to our
examining staff and with our dates already confirmed on the schedule. While the EMM
is scheduled to be up north (Saddleback?) it has not been confirmed as of this date, so it
will be noted as TBA on the website.
Certified (Ron LaPointe): JK spoke for Ron. The Certified program had a phenomenal
year with 4 Maine members registered in the program. This year we have 3 confirmed
with possibly 2 more interested. The 4th from last year – Jim Wackell #699 – completed
all phases of the program. Congratulations!
Wayne Arsenault, Saddleback (2009) – completed 3 of 10 components
Mami Iwamoto, Sunday River (2009) – completed 4 of 10 components
Marc Leblond, Sunday River (2009) – completed 2 of 5 components (Pro
We are way ahead of schedule with our commitment to enlist at list one candidate per
year in the program. We believe that the Intro to Certified forums are allowing our
members to get a first hand look and hands on exposure without having to commit to the
program. However, once they see what they are capable of and where they measure in
the system, it becomes an easier decision for them to make. We will continue to make
strides to make the program available to and for everyone. Please continue to show your
support for this worthwhile program.
Ron reported that he would not be able to continue as the Certified Advisor as he will not
be able to give it the proper time needed to continue its success. Therefore, he has asked
JK to step in as the Advisor until such time the region can find another to fill the position.
Instructor Development (Tom Gyger) – Dan spoke for Tom and said that he is ready to
support whatever the region needs.
Follow up on Senior Pin Award.
Student program (Jim Viehl): Jim could not attend. Dan / JK presented Jim’s report.
Maine students continue to be a force in the Student (YAP) program. Jim has presented
his report and dates for this year’s events. Jim is planning to contact all mountains in the
Maine Region to determine the status of Student Programs at their respective mountains.
He and his team are willing to travel to talk about the role of the student patrollers and
their positive impact support they can provide on a given patrol. Please check the
website for calendar listings of events.
Awards Program (Daryl Trafford): reported that we have a few significant awards in
progress. Asked that all PD’s look for their patrollers who are deserving and present the
most appropriate award for consideration. We have a solid team of experienced award
writers that can help anyone be successful with their respective submissions.
Paul Rawson asked about the Senior Pin. We are following up on that. From what is
understood from Division is that they have authorized the purchase of 500 of these pins.
We will keep Paul and anyone else posted with interest. Paul also made mention that the
region should have something to hand out upon completion of their Senior
ME Region Mtg 9/20/2009 Page: 2
accomplishment. A patch, pin, whatever…something. JK said that he would commit
funds to support this request.
A discussion of the Veteran’s Award was brought up by the RD. He stated that this
should be a priority and asked that Gerry Desjardins, SC work with Darryl to determine
our the status of our veterans within the Maine Region patrol and get them in line for this
important award. I asked that we have the names in time for the end of the year banquets.
Northern Section Chief (Wayne Arsenault) – Not Present, No report
Southern Section Chief (Gerry Desjardins) – Looking forward to getting out to visit with
the patrols. Offered to make sure all communication is consistently broadcasted. He said
that he is available to support whatever the mountains need.
Treasurer Report (Scott Krall): Spoke on the key issues facing Maine Region
o Filing of Form 990 for non-profit organizations due in June. Noted many patrols
are way behind on filing these reports.
o Membership numbers and dues paid
o Some mountains don’t differentiate between pros/volunteers for where dues go
(would go to NSP). Some mountains pros pay dues to PSPA.
o Use of forms – use standard expense reporting sheet. Also asset purchase form.
Ensure the most current forms are available on the web site. Forward expense
reports to Region Treasurer for reimbursement as quickly as possible (strive for
within 2 weeks of the event).
o Dues are set at $13.00 per member for the Maine Region
o Dues forms will be provided in time for filing registration. All monies totaling
$71.00 per member will be consolidated and filed directly to Donna McGraw at
the Eastern Division office.
Motion by Galen Todd: To determine the benefits of having the Maine Region achieve
Motion 2nd by Robert Bakker
Discussion: JK - The motion came out of a discussion that the Eastern Division presented
regarding income that needs to be reported regardless of the expense negating it to $0.00
dollars earned. Also, if an area were to “ask” for donations, this would also have to be
reported as income. It was also mentioned that we as directors of our respective entities
could be held personally responsible for the fiduciary actions of our members. While this
seems to be far removed from reality, it could happen. The IRS is paying more and more
attention to charitable entities than ever before. So, we need to act responsibly and be
accountable to our programs.
No other discussion was offered
Brad Smolin asked that the motion be moved to a vote
Joe Trevors 2nded
RD called for the vote – A Unanimous vote was cast with no objections or abstentions
ME Region Mtg 9/20/2009 Page: 3
All other programs either not represented by the advisors or no report offered.
All reports submitted were unanimously accepted by the board.
=> 12:00 PM at this point <=
Election for RD will be held at all Refreshers. Wayne will follow up with that
patrol’s election designee to perform the election
Registration Review – A quick power point review was offered to simulate what the
ON LINE Registration program was morphing into. As we presented the latest
format iteration, I was told that day that there would be another revision. In short, it
was simply a quick review of what it may look like. I asked all PD’s present to exert
extreme patience as we move forward to this format. I asked that any and all
questions be sent my way so that I can resolve any of the registration process as
quickly and as painlessly as possible.
(12:30 PM – adjournment)
ME Region Mtg 9/20/2009 Page: 4