The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Chapters 16-29 Quiz
1. Why is Colonel Grangerford suspicious of Huck at first?
2. Describe Emmeline Grangerford. Why is she significant?
3. What important literary work does Twain mock when he describes the affair of
Sofia Grangerford and Harney Shepherdson?
4. Twain writes, “One of these fellows was about seventy, or upwards, and had a
bald head and very gray whiskers. He had an old battered-up slouch hat on, and
a greasy blue woolen shirt, and ragged old blue jeans britches stuffed into his boot
tops, and home-knit galluses – no, he only had one. . . The other fellow was
about thirty and dressed about as ornery.” Who is Twain describing?
5. Why is Colonel Sherburn almost lynched? What is his response?
6. Describe the Royal Nonesuch. Be specific.
7. What event concerning his daughter does Jim tell Huck that he regrets?
8. Who are Harvey and William Wilks? What is wrong with William?
9. What does Huck Finn confess to Mary Jane Wilks? Why?
10. Describe how Huck and Jim almost escape the Duke and Dauphin in chapter 29.
What event concerning his daughter does Jim tell Huck that he regrets?