Docstoc

Preservation Alliance of West Virginia

Document Sample
Preservation Alliance of West Virginia Powered By Docstoc
					                             East Wheeling
                             Historic District
                             Wheeling,
                             Ohio County




                            Old Clay County                  Arthurdale
                            Courthouse                  School Buildings
                            Clay, Clay County                  Arthurdale,
                                                           Preston County


                          Staats Hospital
                          Charleston,
                          Kanawha
                          County




                                                                           Northern
                                                                            Railroad
                                                                         Water Tower
General Albert                                                               Kingwood,
Gallatin Jenkins                                                                Preston
House and                                                                       County
Plantation
Lesage, Cabell County                                       Fort McCoy
                                                             Williamsburg,
                                                                Greenbrier
                                                                    County

                                 Fayette Feed
                                and Fertilizer
                                     Building
                                        Fayetteville,
                                            Fayette                                       Lynnside Manor
                                             County                          Sweet Springs, Monroe County
                        William & Mary
                        Queen Store
                        Crum,
                                                            Old First
                        Wayne County
                                                            Baptist
                                                            Church
                                                            Union,
                                                            Monroe
                                                            County


     Preservation Alliance of West Virginia
      PO Box 3371, Charleston WV 25333 / 304-345-6005 / www.pawv.org
General Albert Gallatin Jenkins House and Plantation
Lesage, Cabell County
Constructed in 1835, most likely by slaves residing on the site, the brick Albert
Gallatin Jenkins House exemplifies the late Federal style with a symmetrical
façade and paired end chimneys. It is best recognized for the activities of its
namesake, Confederate Brigadier General and United States and Confederate
Congressman Albert Gallatin. But, the home also symbolizes the contributions
enslaved people made towards the growth of plantation wealth in antebellum
Virginia, in addition to their efforts in constructing the plantation’s built
environment. Currently owned by the United States Army Corps of Engineers
(Corps) and leased to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR), this building
has been mothballed with no plans to preserve its deteriorating first-level floor
and floor joists that are in danger of collapsing. The
Greenbottom Society, a local group working for 23 years
to save and make the site available to the public, hopes
to continue the preservation and restoration work by
petitioning and searching for possible funds. Additionally,
the Greenbottom Society maintains its decades-long
goal to restore the house, rebuild the outbuildings,
interpret the building
and site, and create
programming. The
society hopes to
include the property
on the WV Civil War
Trails program, thus
increasing interest and
visitation.


Fayette Feed and Fertilizer Building
Fayetteville, Fayette County
Privately owned and currently home of New River Bikes, the one-story building known historically as the Fayette
Feed Company is characterized by its Boomtown façade, clapboard siding, and wood double doors. Constructed in
the 1880s to serve as a butcher shop, when Fayetteville was growing as an export and railroad town, this building
symbolizes the prosperity of the merchant area in Fayetteville’s historic district. For decades, the “Fayette Feed Co.”
sign has remained untouched. Endangered by deterioration, the owner hopes to replace the roof and spruce up
the building with the ultimate goal to return it to its historical appearance as a fertilizer and feed store both inside
and outside while maintaining its current use. The owner also hopes to increase and promote historic preservation
projects in Fayetteville’s downtown historic district.
Lynnside Manor
Sweet Springs, Monroe County
Privately owned and one of the remaining Greek
Revival dwellings in Monroe County, the one-story,
rectangular masonry and brick dwelling is constructed
in the Jeffersonian style and is the central building
in the Lynnside Historic District. The main house,
Lynnside Manor, was constructed in 1845, most likely
by enslaved people working on the surrounding
plantation, and served as the Lewis Family home
for many generations. The Lewis Family and their
enslaved population significantly contributed to the
economic development of antebellum Virginia and
West Virginia. John Lewis was the first to survey the
area now known as Monroe County. His descendants served in WV, VA, and Confederate governments, initiated the
settlement of the Oregon Country, founded Sweet Springs Resort and the first Catholic Church in the area, St. John’s
Chapel. In 1933, fire engulfed the historic manor, and since then, Lynnside has undergone some restoration efforts
that were stalled in the 1950s due to limited funds. Currently, efforts have been restarted with the goal to restore the
home and surrounding buildings to their pre-1933 state.




Arthurdale School Buildings
Arthurdale, Preston County
Owned by Arthurdale Heritage, Inc. (AHI) and integral to the history of the nation’s first New Deal homestead, the
high school, cafeteria/administration building, and elementary school in Arthurdale are wooden structures that
have sat vacant for the past ten years. Constructed in 1936 under former President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New
Deal administration, these original educational facilities were mothballed in 2003. Due to AHI’s limited budget
and staff, they are currently threatened with deterioration from disuse. The ultimate goal is to develop a clear
strategy to rehabilitate and adaptively reuse the buildings to be self-sustaining. Several options are being explored
including housing preschool programs, extending the New Deal Homestead Museum, or providing senior housing and
programming. Grant funding is now actively being sought, and a committee is currently being formed to determine
the next best step for development.
                                    Northern Railroad Water Tower
                                    Kingwood, Preston County
                                    Constructed in the early twentieth century during the development of the
                                    Morgantown & Kingwood Railroad, the water tower was historically used for
                                    storage to assist with the fluid operation of the trains hauling building stone,
                                    lumber, glass sand, and the enormous coal resources found between Rowelsburg
                                    and Morgantown. Situated on a brownfield site and former rail yard, the tower
                                    poses a safety threat because of its leaning frame. Friends of the Cheat (FOC) in
                                    conjunction with the Preston Rail Trail Committee and the Preston Economic
                                    Development Authority have been working to secure the rail yard for use as a rail
                                    trail system with the preserved water tower acting as a trail head for the Kingwood
                                    to Tunnelton rail trail corridor. However, because the FOC needs to acquire the site
                                    for development, it is considering disassembling and moving the tower to another
                                    rail trail. FOC has applied for a FOCUS grant through Northern WV Brownfields
                                    Assistance Center to determine the community’s interest and needs in an effort to
                                    develop reuse plans for the rail yard and tower.

Old First Baptist Church
Union, Monroe County
Located in the heart of the Union Historic District, the Old First
Baptist Church was constructed in 1845, in Jeffersonian Classical
Revival style by William B. Phillips, master builder and brick
mason who once worked under Thomas Jefferson. The church‘s
                           largely white congregation dissipated
                           after the Civil War making it available
                           to a black congregation led by formerly
                           enslaved Reverend Charles Campbell.
                           In 1997, the remaining congregation
                           members deeded the church to the
                           Monroe County Historical Society
                           (MCHS). It has since undergone an
                           extensive preservation project, which was unfortunately halted in April 2006 when tornado-
                           like storms ravaged the building of its prominent 36-foot tower. Since this destruction,
                           MCHS and community members have rallied together to fundraise for the restoration
                           project; however, more funds are needed to rebuild the tower and re-point the failing
                           hand-made bricks and mortar. The interior has been subject to water damage, as well. The
                           ultimate goal for the project is to make the church available to the community, although its
                           use is not yet determined. Residents are entertaining ideas such as a new location for the
                           Monroe County Museum or a gallery and store for the Monroe County Arts Alliance.


William and Mary Queen Store
Crum, Wayne County
The William and Mary Queen Store is known as the most beautiful
structure in Crum and has historically been the central building in
Crum along King Coal Highway 52. Constructed of local sandstone in
1935 by Italian stonemasons under the direction of Alec Deminio, this
building stands two stories tall and historically served as the town’s
general store but has been vacant for decades. Because of such
disuse and neglect, the flat roof has collapsed, and the entire building
is in very poor condition. However, the Coalfield Development
Corporation has plans to acquire, revitalize, and adapt it for use
as the headquarters for its 21st Century Jobs Initiative, which will
provide innovative on-the-job training and mentorship programs
for young people growing up in generational cycles of poverty. The
second story will provide affordable housing.
Staats Hospital
Charleston, Kanawha County
Designed in Classical Revival style by John Norman, the first registered Black architect in West Virginia, the four-
story Staats Hospital was constructed in 1922. It boasts elegant detailing including a central window with an arch
and Tuscan columns supporting an entablature with intricate ornamentation.
Staats Hospital is the cornerstone of the Elk City historic district on
Charleston’s West Side and is at risk structurally from water infiltration
through a leaking roof and open windows. Additionally, the upper floors
have been sealed for over 20 years because of asbestos and lead paint
contamination, and construction workers are stripping the building of any
salvageable metal materials in preparation for potential demolition. West Side
Main Street (WSMS) has been in discussions with the lien holder to stop any
demolition projects, and they plan to cultivate a partnership with a private
developer to rehabilitate the building for mixed commercial and residential
use. WSMS will also assist with funds from brownfields clean-up grants.




East Wheeling Historic District
Wheeling, Ohio County
The integrity of the East Wheeling Historic District is currently threatened by the demolition of 34 structures
located within its boundaries, primarily on 15th and 16th Streets. Residents are engaged in a legal battle with the
City of Wheeling, which has declared eminent domain on two streets in the district in order to clear them for the
construction of a new sports complex. The dwellings in the district historically housed workers, managers, and
owners of Wheeling’s steel, iron, and coal industries at the peak of the city’s prosperity, and they continue to house
                                          local residents. The district boasts 19th century residences in Greek Revival,
                                          Italianate, and Victorian styles. If the property owners can maintain
                                          control of their buildings, they have planned an adaptive reuse project that
                                          will preserve many of the buildings and create a recreational space with
                                          community gardens and a cafe on the interior of the two streets. PAWV will
                                          assist technically with four specific buildings located on 15th Street: publicly-
                                          owned Civil War Twins - the oldest buildings in the potentially-razed streets
                                          and named for their period of construction; a mid-19th century, privately-
                                                                                                      owned dwelling,
                                                                                                      which serves as
                                                                                                      the cornerstone of
                                                                                                      two blocks in the
                                                                                                      historic district; and
                                                                                                      an 1870 privately-
                                                                                                      owned residence
                                                                                                      originally owned
                                                                                                      by David Bayha,
                                                                                                      tinsmith and owner
                                                                                                      of Wheeling-based
                                                                                                      Architectural
                                                                                                      Sheet Metal Work
                                                                                                      Company.
Old Clay County Courthouse
Clay, Clay County
Erected in 1902 under the supervision of architect Frank L. Packard, the old Clay County Courthouse is the only
property in Clay County listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Common for its period of construction,
the building is recognized for its eclectic architecture, which borrowed heavily from the Beaux Arts movement. The
old courthouse boasts eye-catching and elaborate features including a domed cupola surmounting the hipped roof,
prominent dentil molding, and Roman Doric columns. The Clay County Landmarks Commission and Historical Society
(CCLCHS) have initiated prior preservation work, but the building continues to be threatened by water infiltration in
both its lower and upper portions. Additionally, the electrical condition does not meet state standards. The CCLCHS is
working with local government officials and citizens to adapt this building to be used as a public space, museum, and
repository with hopes that it can be owned, operated, and maintained by the CCLCHS.




Fort McCoy
Williamsburg, Greenbrier County
A log fort constructed by the William McCoy Family, around 1770, Fort McCoy is currently situated inside a wood
barn that is near collapse. The fort and its surrounding site are potentially rich in archaeological information that
could provide further documentation about Native Americans, especially the Shawnee, and early settlers’ non-
militia, privately–constructed forts. McCoy was among the first group of permanent white settlers who came to
Greenbrier County from Augusta County, Virginia in 1769. The Williamsburg District Historical Foundation is slated
to receive the fort and a few acres of surrounding property through donation from the current property owner.
The Foundation, in addition to the Williamsburg Community Action Group and Greenbrier Historical Society, aim to
complete an archaeological dig of the site but must first remove the barn, dismantle the fort, and store its elements
to be reconstructed after the completion of the dig. A fundraising
festival will be held in June of this year to benefit the project.
Endangered Properties Update
                              Old First W            o
                                         ard School T Be Saved In Elkins
                                                     to expand and modernize its             that helped bring it to the attention of
                                                     educational system. Fairmont            Terrell Ellis of Terrell Ellis and Associates,
                                                     architect, Andrew C. Lyons,             a community development specialist
                                                     designed this building in the           based in Charleston, WV. Ms. Ellis helped
                                                     Georgian-Revival style. It was          to forge a connection between C-Hope
                                                     built predominantly of local            and A.U. Associates, a company focused
                                                     construction materials including        on opportunities for urban infill, as well
                                                     hand-cut sandstone, brick, and          as the revitalization of existing structures,
                                                     native hardwoods. In 1976, First        such as the 2011 Clendenin School project
                                                     Ward School closed and was              in Clendenin, WV.
                                                     converted into a storage space for        Once the building is rehabilitated, the
                                                     the school district. In the spring      Highland Community Builders, a non-
  The Randolph County non-profit                     of 2009, C-HOPE purchased the           profit housing developer located in Elkins,
organization Citizens for Historical        school from the Randolph County Board            will own the building, and the Randolph
Opportunity, Preservation, and Education    of Education, with the ultimate goal             County Housing Authority (RCHA) will
(C-HOPE) has partnered with Kentucky        set to adapt this historically-significant       manage the property.
developer, A.U. Associates, and the         structure to meet contemporary needs.
Randolph County Housing Authority to           After securing ownership of
adaptively repurpose Elkins’ First Ward     the building, C-HOPE performed
School, which was listed on PAWV’s          the groundwork to have the                              What Is An
2009 Endangered Properties List. The        structure listed on the National
reuse project of the First Ward School      Register of Historic Places, and              Endangered List?
will involve transforming the school        that summer the project received
                                                                                       Preservation organizations often use
into sixteen affordable senior housing      a significant boost when WV’s
apartments for those 55 and older. At
                                                                                       endangered lists to bring attention to the
                                            State Historic Preservation Office
a cost of just over $3.5 million, this
                                                                                       plight of at-risk properties and to provide
                                            awarded C-HOPE a development
project, anticipated to break ground this                                              assistance to the dedicated organizations
                                            grant, which was used to the
spring and open the spring of 2013, will                                               involved in their preservation. PAWV
                                            repair the school’s roof.
completely renovate the existing building                                              revived its endangered list program in
                                               C-HOPE diligently pursued               2009 with a competitive application
in a historically sensitive way.            partners and ideas for the use             process and with technical assistance
  Constructed in the first decade of the    of the historic structure, but             provided to the selected properties.
twentieth century, First Ward School        it was the building’s listing on
exemplifies Elkins’ first major effort      PAWV’s 2009 endangered list


                                            Old Greenbrier Public Library Update
                                            In its lifetime,        2007, the building is situated very near its pink-brick partner,
                                          the old Greenbrier        the library annex building, which was moved to its current
                                          County Public             location to protect it from being demolished. At one time,
                                          Library building          it served as slaves’ quarters and more recently as a library
                                          in Lewisburg has          meeting center. Both buildings are being rehabilitated for
                                          served as the library     this project.
                                          of the antebellum         When the library was listed on PAWV’s Endangered
                                          Virginia Supreme       Properties List in 2010, it was reasonably stable, but suffered
                                          Court of Appeals, a    major structural issues such as water infiltration, warped
                                          Civil War hospital     interior wood floors, and a damaged roof. After PAWV’s
and barracks, and as the Greenbrier County public library.       field representative, Lynn Stasick, joined with Phil Davis
The building is undergoing an extensive historic preservation    of Allegheny Restoration for a historic wood windows
and adaptive reuse program to transform it into its fourth       workshop in the Fall of 2010, workshop attendees from
incarnation as an educational facility. In April 2010, the       New River Community and Technical College performed
City of Lewisburg signed a long-term lease with New River        most of the window rehabilitation work themselves. The
Community and Technical College to retrofit the building         windows project was made possible when the City of
for educational programming focused on historical studies        Lewisburg applied for and was awarded $36,880 in Energy
and cultural activities. Constructed in 1834 and vacant since    Efficiency and Conservation Block Grants supported by the
                                                                             American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to
                              PRESERVATION ALLIANCE                          replace the HVAC system in the library. The City
                              OF WEST VIRGINIA, INC.                         also replaced the library’s dilapidated roof with a
                              PO Box 3371                                    standing seam metal roof [include photo] and the
                              Charleston, WV 25333–3371                      annex building’s roof with a cedar shake roof. The
                                                                             college continues to work on finishing the interior
                              Phone: 304–345–6005 or Email: info@pawv.org
                                                                             with a completion date yet to be determined.
Endangered Properties Update:
Saved:
 •	 Capitol Theatre (2009 List): Purchased by a local organization, rehabilitated and re-opened in 2009 as a
    theatre.
 •	 Quarrier Diner (2010 List): Purchased by a local family, who rehabilitated and opened it in 2011 as a
    diner, bar, and banquet area
 •	 Old Clendenin Middle School (2002 List): Opened in 2011 under its new name, Riverview at Clendenin
    School, as a mixed-use facility providing a health care clinic and affordable senior housing
 •	 Keith-Albee Theatre (2005 List) – Restored and functioning as a performing arts center as of 2009.
Progressing:
 •	 Berkeley Springs Train Depot (2010 List) – Received grant funding for restoration project
 •	 First Ward School (2009 List) – Selected for rehabilitation and development
 •	 Wyco Church (2009 List) – Restored windows, received some grant funding, but funding is still in need
    to complete structural repairs including roof replacement
 •	 Old Greenbrier County Public Library (2010 List) – Restored windows, roof replaced, received funding
    and tax credits, and is undergoing renovation
 •	 Riverside African-American School (2010 List) – Received grant funding, stabilized the building,
    replaced the roof, and continue to actively seek funding to complete the project
 •	 Elkins Coal & Coke Building (2011 List) – Mothballed in February 2011 and obtained unused slate to roof
    the building.
 •	 Mannington Railroad Depot (2011 List) – Purchased by a local organization and in the beginning stages
    of restoration
 •	 Woodlawn Cemetery Chapel & Residence (2011 List) – Roof repaired; building stabilized; actively
    seeking grant funding and developing a website and mapping project with Pierpont Community
    College
Threatened:
 •	 Waldo Hotel (2009 List) – Is in need of funds for local organization to purchase the building and begin
    preservation work and is threatened by demolition
 •	 Shanklin’s Grand Theatre (2011 List) – Stalled, although the owner of the building has approached the
    Ronceverte Development Corporation to discuss sale or donation of the building
Lost:
•	 Mount de Chantal (2011 List) – Demolished in 2011
•	 WV Colored Children’s Home (2011 List) – Demolished in 2011

      A
 The P WV and the West Virginia Endangered List
  Properties selected for the PAWV Endangered List must be listed or eligible for listing on the National Register of
 Historic Places and meet other criteria such as historic significance, preservation emergency, and local support.
   Thanks to the Partners in the Field Challenge Grant from the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and the
 committed donors who have stepped up to that challenge, PAWV’s field representative, Lynn Stasick, provides
 endangered list sites with assistance such as needs assessment,
 preservation expertise, capacity building, raising public
 awareness and advocacy. Stasick explains “I work with each
 property and each community in an effort to rehabilitate and
 adaptively re-use these unique historic sites.”
   Look for updates in the Saving Sites section of the PAWV
 website. More information about listed sites and nomination
 forms for next year’s Endangered Properties List are available on
 that website at: www.pawv.org/endanger.htm

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:9
posted:7/19/2012
language:English
pages:8