• Underneath the huge Paris Opera House
was a dark lake. In the middle of the lake
was an island, and on the island lived the
1. Adverbial Phrase + be/V + S
• 1. A cat lies under the table.
• S V Adv. Phrase
• Under the table lies a cat. (桌下躺著一隻貓。)
• Adv. Phrase V S
• By the river stood a small church.
• In the box was an expensive watch.
• 1. 島上住著寂寞的魅影(Phantom)。
• On the island lived the lonely Phantom.
• 2. Allen的身旁坐著一個老太太。
• Beside Allen sits an old lady.
• 3. 花瓶(vase)裡有好幾朵玫瑰花。
• In the vase are several roses.
• The Phantom had a face that ( which?) looked
horrible ( looking horrible ?) and ugly, so he
wore a mask all the time and hid himself from
the world. However, under the mask was a
lonely soul with a great love of music.
• hide, hid, hid
• Wear, wore, worn
2. so... 所以，因此
therefore和as a result也是「因此」的意思，做副詞
• 1. Dorothy is my best friend, so/and
therefore/and as a result I will give her a hand
when she's in need.
• 2. Mary is trying to lose weight, so/and
therefore/and as a result she avoids eating too
• ______ 1. The Phantom had a face that
looked horrible and ugly, _______ he wore a
mask all the time and hid himself from the
• (A) but (B) once (C) if (D) so
• ______ 2. Brown had a headache,
__________ he went to see a doctor.
• (A) therefore (B) so (C) as a result
• ______ 3. I have no money, and __________
I can't buy anything.
• (A) however (B) besides (C) so (D)
with + N 有著…(的特質)的人或物
• 說 明 with + N做形容詞片語時，相當於形容詞子句
"who/that/which + has/have + N"。
• 例 句 1. John is a man with a kind heart.
• John is a man who has a kind heart. (John是一個善
• 2. The box with a ribbon is a present for you.
• The box that/which has a ribbon is a present for you.
• _____ 1. Under the mask was a lonely soul
__________ a great love of music.
• (A) of (B) with (C) to (D) on
• ______ 2. Judy's pet, Lucky, is a cute dog
__________ short legs.
• (A) has (B) had (C) with (D) who has
• Late at night, the Phantom often stood
behind a secret wall and sang to a
beautiful opera singer, Christine, with
his magical voice. Since Christine
couldn’t see him, she thought that he
was an angel.
• Sing, sang, sung
4. Since 既然…；因為…
• 例 句 1. Since you are very tired, you had better take
• 2. Since there was a typhoon, we cancelled our picnic.
• 1. 因為Christine看不到魅影，她以為他是個天使。
• __________ Christine couldn't see the Phantom, she
thought that he was an angel.
• 2. 既然外面下大雨，我們就留在家裡看電視吧。
• __________ it is raining hard outside, let's stay at
home and watch TV.
• One day, the managers of the Opera House
found strange notes from the Phantom.
Because he was falling in love with Christine,
he asked the managers to give her the lead
role in an upcoming opera. The managers
thought that the notes were a joke as they
couldn’t see the Phantom and didn’t believe he
5. S + Vt (give/buy/tell/ask/order...)
+ IO + DO
→S + Vt (give/buy/tell/ask/order...)
+ DO + prep. + IO
• 「主詞+及物動詞+間接受詞(人) +直接受詞(物)」的句型可替換
• 例 句1. Sammy gave me a wonderful present.
• Vt Io DO
• Sammy gave a wonderful present to me.
• Vt DO prep.IO
• 2. My father bought me a new car.
• My father bought a new car for me.
• 3. I asked our teacher a question.
• I asked a question of our teacher.
• 1. He asked the managers to give her the
lead role in an upcoming opera.
• → He asked the managers to give the lead
role __________ her in an upcoming opera.
• 2. Paul sent me a letter.
• →Paul sent a letter __________ me.
• 3. 我的母親為我做了(make)一件新洋裝。
My mother made me a new dress
My mother made a new dress for me
• However, on the night of the opera, strange
things happened. First, one of the best opera
singers lost her voice during the performance.
Then, a man was killed when nobody was
around. Before the opera ended, a large
chandelier suddenly fell from the ceiling.
Everyone in the Opera House was horrified,
including the managers. They finally gave in
and let Christine play the lead in another opera.
6 S + V, including + N.... ，包括…
• S + V, including + N.... = S + V, N + included=S+V, inclusive
of + N.
• 1. (包括他奶奶在內，他家共有五個人。)
• There are five people in his family, including his
There are five people in his family, his grandmother included.
There are five people in his family, inclusive of his
Fifty people were killed in the air crash , seven children
• 1. 歌劇院中的每一個人都嚇壞了，包括了經理們。
• Everyone in the Opera House was horrified, _______ the
• 2. 包括老師在內，教室裡坐著三十八個人。
• In the classroom sat thirty-eight people, __________ the
• 3. 這個套裝旅行的價格為一萬元，含稅。
• The price of this package tour is ten thousand dollars, tax
S + let/make/have + O + V
1. My boss let me take a vacation last month.
The bad news made everyone cry. (這壞消息讓每個人都哭了。)
• 3. Mr. Bull had me go to the party with him.
• ______ 1. They finally gave in and let Christine __________ the
lead in another opera.
• (A) play (B) to play (C) played (D) playing
• ______ 2. I drank too much coffee, and it made me __________
awake the whole night.
• (A) staying (B) to stay (C) stay (D) stayed
______ 3. I got the waiter __________ me a glass of water.
• (A) give (B) to give (C) giving (D) gave
• The Phantom was in love with Christine, but
she was already in love with Raoul, an attractive
young man. During Christine’s performance in
the opera, the Phantom suddenly took her away
from the stage so that he could have her all to
8. S1 + V1 + so that/in order that + S2 + Aux
+ V2...= so as to ( in order to ) +V 為了…
• 1. Bruce studies hard so that/in order that he can get
good grades. (Bruce用功念書是為了得到好成績。)
• 2. Don took a bus instead of a taxi so that/in order that he
could save some money.
• Don took a bus instead of a taxi so as to/in order to save
some money. (Don不搭計程車而搭巴士是為了省錢。)
• ______ 1. The Phantom suddenly took her away from the
stage __________ he could have her all for himself.
• (A) if (B) once (C) so that (D) as soon as
• ______ 2. Bob made a chocolate cake __________
celebrate Mother's Day.
• (A) in order to (B) in order that
• (C) so that (D) instead of
• As Christine struggled to escape from
the Phantom, she pulled off his mask
and his face was finally seen in public.
The Phantom’s eyes were yellow, and
his nose was missing. It did not look
like an angel’s face at all!
S + sense verb
(taste/smell/feel/look/sound) + like + N
** 此為感官動詞+ like + N的用法，表示「像…」。
• 1. This cake feels like a stone and tastes like
• 2. The man looks like an astrologer, and what he
says sounds like a dream.
• His face did not __________ __________ an
angel's face at all!
• 2. 這朵花聞起來像玫瑰。
• This flower __________ __________ a rose.
• Raoul quickly followed the Phantom to save
Christine. Unfortunately, the Phantom
captured Raoul and tried to kill him.
Christine then begged for Raoul’s life. She
told the Phantom that she was horrified not
by his face but by his evil heart. However,
the loneliness in his eyes made her feel sad
11. Unfortunately, S + V…不幸地…
• 說 明 可改為It is/was unfortunate that + S + V....。
• 1. Fortunately, Johnny passed the exam.
• It was fortunate that Johnny passed the exam.
• 2. Clearly, you had nothing to do with this
• It was clear that you had nothing to do with this
• 1. 不幸地，魅影擄獲了Raoul並想殺害他。
• __________, the Phantom captured Raoul
and tried to kill him.
• 2. 幸運地是，Jack娶到一個好太太。
• __________, Jack married a good wife.
• → It was __________ that Jack married a
• 3. Samuel顯然不瞭解我的意思。
• __________, Samuel didn't understand what
• → It was __________ that Samuel didn't
understand what I meant.
12. not...but... …不是…而是…
• 說 明 but連接前後詞性對等的字、片語或子句。
• 1. It is not my car but my father's.
• 2. Walter did not come here by taxi but on foot.
• 3. Sally ate less not because she wasn't hungry,
but because she wanted to lose weight. (Sally
• 1. 她不是被他的臉而是被他邪惡的心嚇壞了。
• She was horrified __________ by his face
__________ by his evil heart.
• not but
• 2. Lauren所要的不是名而是利。
• What Lauren wants is __________ fame
• not but
• 3. Stella沒來上學不是因為下大雪，而是因為她生病了
• Stella didn't go to school __________ __________
it snowed heavily, ________ __________ she was
• not because
• but because
• To the Phantom’s surprise, Christine
kissed his face. Tears of joy rolled
down the Phantom’s cheeks, and his
loneliness over the years was all
washed away. In the end, the Phantom
let Raoul and Christine go before he
disappeared. His magical voice was
never heard in the Opera House again.
• 1. 樹下坐著幾個銀髮老太太。
_____ the tree ____ several old ladies ____ silver hair.
• 1. Under; sat; with
• 2. Henry有顆善良的心，所以他總是樂於助人。
• Henry is a man __________ a kind heart, __________ he
is always happy to help others.
• 2. with; so
• 3. 既然你失業了，何不到我的公司擔任我的秘書？
• __________ you are out of work, why not work as my
secretary in my company?
• 3. Since
• 4. 既然你有問題，你最好去請教你的老師。
___ you have questions, you'd better ask them ___ your
• 4. Since; of
Tony told a lie ______ all people who cared about him,
________ his parents.
• 5. to; including
• 6. Leo讓他爸爸答應給他一輛玩具車。
• Leo made his father ________ a toy car ______ him.
• 6. promise; to
• 7. 我來這裡不是為了要賺錢，而是為了要念書。
I came here _____ _______ make money, ___ _____ study.
7. not; to; but; to
• 8. Bruce努力工作是為了盡可能地多賺些錢。
• Bruce worked hard ____ ________ he __________ earn as
much money as possible.
• 8. so; that; could/might
• 9. 我們上學是為了學習有用的東西。
We go to school ____ ____ ____ learn something useful.
• 9. in; order; to/so; as; to
• 10. 這咖啡嚐起來像藥。
• The coffee __________ __________ medicine.
• 10. tastes; like
• 11. 這個瘋子看起來像個鬼。
• The mad man ________ __________ a ghost.
• 11. looks; like
• 12. 這個名作家一點都不驕傲。
The famous writer is _______ proud ______ ______.
• 12. not; at; all
• 13. 自私的人絕對不會想到要幫助別人。 Selfish people will
_____ think of helping others _____ ____.
• 13. not; at; all
• 14. 我們一點也不想和他們去郊遊。 We didn't feel like going
on a picnic with them ______ ________.
• 14. at; all
• 15. 很不幸地，他母親昨天過世了。
• ________, his mother passed away yesterday.
• 15. Unfortunately
• 16. 遺憾的是這位詩人英年早逝。
• __________, the poet died young.
• 16. Sadly
• 17. Hulk很明顯地還沒準備好。
• __________ is clear ________ Hulk is not well prepared.
• 17. It; that
• 18. Elle沒有趕上火車不是因為起得太晚而是因為塞車。
• Elle didn't catch the train ______ __________ she got up
too late __________ __________ there was a traffic jam.
• 18. not; because; but; because
• 19. 他們不是用英文交談，而是用法文，所以我保持沉默。
They talked ___ in English, ____ in French, ____ I kept silent.
• 19. not; but; so
• __________ you say you are a soldier __________ great
courage, why not fight the enemies bravely?
• 20. Since; with