How does Sports & Entertainment
Marketing change the Marketing Mix?
We have to look at…
• What we are selling and promoting?
– Is selling and promoting a box of cereal
the same as selling and promoting a
sports team or an entertainment event
– Whatever our product is, we must look
at the product, then determine the most
effect ways to advertise, promote, and
market it to our consumers!
Sports & Entertainment change the
The Four P’s
Product, Price, Place and Promotion!
Let’s look at the 4 P’s for S & E Products!
• Sports & Entertainment Marketing requires us to
sell and market two types of products…
• Core Product – Game or Event itself.
• Ancillary Product – Related to or created
from core product.
– Stage Show
• Prices must be charged for tickets, food, merchandise, etc…and we
have to pay our athletes and staff!
• So, do issues occur with sports and entertainment marketing that don’t
with most other goods and services?
• Professional athletes make lots of $, so fans become disappointed
when they strike for more $! Fan Loyalty can be affected.
• Ticket scalpers and online sellers can sell tickets at cheaper prices.
• Piracy is a problem for creators of music…
– NAPSTER and illegal downloading has been an issue…
• Intellectual Property – idea, concept, or created work that needs to
• Royalties need to be paid for the use of ones work!
• Once we get our team and venue set, we have to make it a
place people want to come to!
• Having Occasion Appeal will get people to
your event and keep them coming back!
– Other things marketers can do, other than the
game or event, to add to the appeal and keep
their fan base…
• Prizes at the game
• Good food
• The types of promotions used to promote
S & E products are…
• Product Tie-ins – Use of merchandise as a
– Happy Meal at McDonalds
– Toy in Cereal Box
• Cross-Promotion – Industries relying on one
another to promote a product.
– Celebrities appearing on talk shows
– Interviews in Magazines
» Web sites are becoming more & more popular as well!
• Endorsements are One way to promote our products!
• Must choose endorsements that match
products with celebrities!!
• The hope is that fans will identify with celebs
that they admire and purchase products
• What is a good product for Ben Wallace to
• What is a good product for Jessica Simpson to
• The S & E Industry is also seeing
• Synergy - Products owned by source
promote the growth of related products.
• Oprah started with a talk show, and her image is “lifestyle
• The Oprah show is her CORE product, and her
ANCILLARY products are her magazine, her production
company, her angel network, and other charities that she
works with or has created.
• The SYNERGY occurs when fans from one product start
using, consuming, etc… another product, and then return
to another, and another… (that cycle is synergy)
Assignment: 20 Points
• Determine a way to create synergy for a
– (Can be in the Sports or Entertainment Industry)
• You can choose the celebrity.
• Can’t be Oprah, Dr. Phil, or Rachel Ray
• I want at least 5 other things that celebrity
can create for themselves to grow and
create synergy! (Explain EACH)!
• Type the ideas on a Word Doc, print, turn in
with your names on top!