Hiring Procedures in the Human Resources Information System (HRIS) for Writing
Writing Centre Instructors are casual employees of the University of Toronto. Each
Writing Centre that hires Writing Instructors should have should have three CUPE 3902
Unit 3 casual position numbers in HRIS for Writing Instructors; one for Writing
Instructors I’s, one for Writing Instructors II’s (advanced by any other Writing Centre in
the University) and another for Writing Instructors II’s advanced by the hiring Writing
Centre. Please submit any request for the creation of new CUPE 3902 Unit position
numbers to the Human Resources Office by sending the request to
The employees in question are either new hires, individuals who currently hold other
active casual positions with the University of Toronto, individuals who currently hold
staff appointed non-academic positions with the University, individuals who currently
hold staff appointed academic positions with the University and are transferring to CUPE
3902 Unit 3 or individuals who previously been employed by the University but are no
longer active employees.
1. For new employees please use "Hiring a Non-Appointed CUPE 3902, Unit 3"
2. For employees who currently hold other casual positions please use “Creating a Cross
Appointment for a Casual Admin Monthly with a CUPE 3902, Unit 3” procedure.
3. For employees who currently hold staff appointed non-academic positions please use
“Creating a Cross Appointment of an Appointed Staff with a CUPE 3902, Unit 3”
4. For employees who currently hold a staff appointed academic position and will be
transferring to CUPE 3902 Unit 3, please use "Transfer a Staff Member to CUPE 3902,
Unit 3" procedure.
5. For employees currently terminated or deactivated please use the “Fast Entry for
Payment Procedures in the Human Resources Information System (HRIS) for Writing
Process a recurring payment using infotype 14. Please process a separate recurring
payment for each assignment.
1. Enter the start and end dates.
2. Enter wagetype 0127 (U3 T4 Flat amount and hours plus 4% vacation pay).
3. Enter the monthly payment amount.
4. Enter the actual hours worked per month.
5. Enter a description in Assignment Number.
6. Enter the reason code for the payment.
For Writing Instructors the codes are:
Writing Instructor I SA
Writing Instructor II SB