Spring Camporee '08 Planning Committee (S2) Minutes– 01/29/2008 So. Berwick Town Hall
Attendance: Julie Hundley, Lenny Andrews, David Walker, Patty Olsen, Steve Shea, Sue Hourihan, Alice Willette,
Janith Bergeron, Jack Kareckas, Billy Walker
Meeting was opened about 6:45pm.
Julie had the Secretary read the minutes of 1/15, which were accepted with correction to Mark Leach’s name.
Frank Gilcrest has already been given a verbal update. Dave got an email from Frank saying he was happy
about the choice of site, and would like a report for the March Roundtable. Dave felt, and everyone agreed, that we
could be ready for that on the February Rountable.
Dave asked if Lenny could update the website with a public access Camporee page, blank for now, with a note
to “Check back often!” and update it as forms & plans are finalized. The planning page would move aside for our
access only. Lenny felt it could be done in time for Roundtable and was able to complete it Wed night. The S2
planning page link is on the Events page next to the date. The website is updated with the Letter & Welcome
template from last time.
Julie and Patty will give an updated report at the next Roundtable.
The owners Spring Hill have offered their land for our camporee site. Steve talked to Harlan Goodwin, who was
concerned about the logistics with a wedding that will be that same weekend. It was agreed to walk out there with
Harlan when the weather and schedule permits and look it over. We used the other side of the fields and woods for
activities last time, and it worked out OK, so we’re hopeful.
Mark Leach of the Water District does not foresee an issue supplying the water main for the event, but will
confirm with Mike Nadeau. They’d like a reminder the weekend before.
Sue Hourihan and Alice Willette volunteered to run a Fundraising trading post at the camporee.
Emblems can be quoted at “Sunshine Emblem & Decal” as well as any others we find.
There was discussion about pre-ordering of T-shirts & Hats for the Camporee Trading post. Patty reported that
minimum order quantity is 12. It was suggested that only a small quantity be ordered for show and the rest thru
pre-order forms. Patty will get pricing.
For reference we had 441 total participants last time. This included Webelos and quests.
Discussion about the number of porta-potties resulted in about 15, with an absolute minimum of 12, one would
be handicapped & women only, one women only, the rest mixed use. This crappy job will fall to our Safety and
Physical Arrangement chairs, Steve & Jack. Splitting between the entrance and the back end worked well last
Steve & Jack will also approach the new folks at the S.B.Rescue to investigate coverage for the day
Jeff Fregeau has been asked if he would like to set up the period command tent again, and it’s a go.
Steve will contact Skip Warner to see if he will bring the 16x32 tent.
Dave invited Walter Hanson’s reenactment group to put on their period display, which they accepted with
Steve will talk to Malcom Kenney to see if the VFW post 5744 would like to sell water in the tent.
We discussed making a distinguished campsite for the troop and some imposing main gateway entrance to the
site, such as a tower or bridge.
It was suggested that some veterans be involved with the kids in designing the patch. Lenny will send graphics
of the old patch and the backup design from 05.
Collecting of charity donations was discussed and Operation Uplink was decided to be a good program. We
also discussed possibly using some of the donated money for camperships for boys whose parent(s) were
The Patch review will be at the Feb 5 meeting.
Our Publicity chair will send notifications to Fosters and the Sentinel.
Meetings will be changed to the Rod & Gun club @ 6:30pm because of conflicting
booking times at the hall. See schedule on Events page.