How Do You Learn Best?
Developed by Regina Crews
Student Support Services Secretary
There are three types of learning styles.
These are: auditory, visual, and kinesthetic
Read on to find out the characteristics of
each type and which category resembles
your style .
Auditory learners learn best
by hearing, including their
10 characteristics of auditory learners
• Remember by talking aloud and through
• Desire to “talk through” concepts not
• Usually are good listeners
• Remember verbal instructions without
writing them down.
• Enjoy class discussions and talking with others.
• Are easily distracted by sound but also find
• Advocate the use of storytelling to learn a moral
• Enjoy interesting lectures.
• Enjoy music activities.
• Find it difficult to work quietly for extended
periods of time.
Visual learners learn best by seeing,
including words written down.
10 characteristics of visual learners include:
• Prefer to see a picture along with something
• Prefer a time line to remember historical events.
• Prefer written instructions for assignments.
• Observe all the physical elements in the
• Enjoy visually stimulating learning environments.
• Remember and understand through
diagrams, charts, etc.
• Appreciate multimedia presentations.
• Enjoy creative writing.
• Prefer small study group teams
• Enjoy visual art activities.
Kinesthetic learners learn best by
becoming physically involved with the
subject being studied.
10 characteristics of kinesthetic learners include:
• Enjoy acting out a situation through dramatic
• Volunteer to do role plays and monologues.
• Enjoy making something or completing a project.
• Prefer physically handling learning materials.
• Remember and understand through doing.
• Take study notes to keep busy, but often do not
• Enjoy using computers.
• Become physically active and enthusiastic about
what they are doing.
• Have a hard time sitting still for extended periods
• Like to complete crossword and other puzzles.
What kind of learner are you?
Student Support Services hopes this workshop
has helped you to understand the different
learning styles and identify which one works best
for you. For other information concerning
learning and study styles, check out these
Student Support Services workshops: Study
Skills, Keys to Academic Success, Memory
Techniques, 15 Ways to Think Better,
Test Anxiety, Test-Taking Skills, and Tips for
Thank you for participating in this workshop. We hope you found it
helpful. Do not forget to complete an Academic Enrichment
Summary so that we may document your participation. If you are
viewing this workshop via the internet you may click on the link in
the directions box on the Workshops page and print it out or e-mail it
to: email@example.com . Handouts available upon request.