Sister City Business
Delegation to Tempe Arizona.
Lessons from Phoenix
12th October 2011
• Celebration of 30 year relationship between Hutt
City and Tempe.
• Hutt City Council and Hutt Valley Chamber of
Commerce formed the delegation.
• Need to derive economic benefit to justify the
• Business-focused delegation
A little about Hutt Valley Chamber
• 750 members
• SME’s and larger companies, CRI’s etc
• Covers entire Hutt Valley - Lower Hutt and
• Close, effective economic development
relationship with Hutt City Council
Hutt City Economic Development
• Economic development model based on
leveraging our strong science, research
technology and innovation business base.
• Technology Valley – aim to make the Hutt Valley
into one of NZ’s leading export and economic
growth centres based on science, engineering and
• One of our visions is to create and stimulate links
between business and research, technology and
• 810 tech companies (BERL).
• Tempe’s Sister cities
– Hutt City
– Regensburg Germany
– Trollhattan, Sweden (not official sister city)
– Beaulieu sur Mer, France
– Timbuktu, Mali
– Skopje, Macedonia
– Carlow, Ireland
– Cuenca, Ecuador
The Business Delegation
• Hutt City Council Mayor and Mayoress, CEO and
• President Hutt Valley Chamber
• Local business owners/ CEO’s
– Gordon and Marie Malin (Solar energy)
– June Ranson (Woburn International Immigration specialists)
– Charles Gilmour – (Indeserve)
– Cynthia Patterson – (Open Polytechnic)
Are there business
and economic development
through our sister city links?
What we discovered…
• Sister cities offers a key leverage opportunity for
• Many similarities with some of Lower Hutt’s sister cities,
potentially the same for Upper Hutt.
• Many complementary economic factors with sister cities.
• Surprised to find we attracted a lot of attention bringing a
business delegation – opened more doors.
• Technology focus.
• Intro to the No1 regional development council in
• Several key business relationships established.
• Profile through sister cities.
• Several years ahead of Hutt Valley in business
and economic development.
• Really hungry for international investment
and companies to establish local jobs.
• Easy to do business with.
• Our doorway and “soft landing”
to the US market
Trollhattan - Sweden
• Innovatum Science Park
• Home of Saab
• Focus on production technology, energy,
environmental technology and creative industries
• 115 companies with 900 employees
• More than half of Sweden’s
motion pictures made in Trollhattan
Regensburg - Germany
• Tech focus, bio tech, automotive, innovation, tyre
pressure, transformers, LED and infrared lasers, Opto
semi conductors, synthetic genes, turbine blades for
• Next focus on engineering and science, IT incubator, IT
• One of top 15 technology areas in Germany
• 3.3% unemployment
• Good example of result of tech focus
Facilitated numerous introductions to key, high profile relevant
companies, including -
• First Solar – largest solar company in USA
• Rio Solado College – High profile, larges online distance learning
• Phoenix University – largest online learning company in USA
• SkySong – technology park driving economic development
• Greater Phoenix Economic Council
• Tempe City Council
• Global business and innovation centre
• Private public partnership/ ASU
• Aims to open up the USA domestic market to
foreign companies to create local jobs
• Soft landing for global businesses
• Estimated $113.6m worth of economic impact
annually in new jobs, new companies
• 67 companies of which 19 are international, representing 10
• $113m economic impact annually
• 733 jobs
• Estimates of $9.2b when it is 30 years, including 5000 jobs
• On its way to being 1.2m square feet of offices and retail space, plus
• A perfect model of one aspect that our Technology Valley
programme can achieve.
Greater Phoenix Economic Council
Greater Phoenix Economic Council
• Private/public partnership
• Not for profit
• Number one recognised regional development
organisation in the USA
• Is the investment promotion agency for the Phoenix,
Arizona area of the United States. GPEC says its goal is
to market the Phoenix region in a way that attracts quality
businesses and high-wage jobs.
• A useful model for engaging the stakeholders for
Technology Valley and driving economic development for
• Leverage off selected sister cities – because people prefer to do
business with friends – Tempe, Regensburg, Trollhattan
• A close working international relationship
• Profiles of members
• Matching members between chambers
– For joint projects, learning, market information, share skills and resources
• Possible investment or not financially related
• Share similar technologies, markets, resources
Stepping stone for entering
the US Market
• Sister companies/ members through Chamber network
• Soft landing services to Arizona through SkySong,
• Sister relationship with SkySong and Tech Valley. Both
recruiting international business for each other
• Foreign business delegations
• Work closely with council, sister city and chamber
• Identify key connectors
– Economic development agencies
• More pre planning of meetings but allow time to meet other who are
unaware of you until you get there
• Profile each visiting company prior
• Structured follow up and communications – incl social media.
• Need key senior people to get in the door.
• Have set up Technology Valley Development
Group based which could be a stepping stone
towards GPEC model
• Further develop relationships with key people,
extend invitations for hosting in LH, plus prepare
for next delegation
• Keeping close
– Follow up on key contacts and regular communications
for keeping and developing relationships