By Jose D.
DEFINITION TI FF( U
Q ui ki e™ an a
ncom pr ssed) deom pr essr
ar e neded t osee t hi pt ur e.
• A japanese word: Harbor Wave
• Called “tidal wave” by people
• Called “seismic sea wave” by scientists
• series of ocean waves made by :
ANY rapid large scale disturbance.
How are tsunamis made?
• By underwater earthquake
• By underwater volcanic eruption
• By meteoroid impact
• By underwater avalanche
• By underwater landslide
• By melted iceberg
• By disturbance, displace large water mass
Where are tsunamis made?
• Around ring of fire: lots of volcanic
• Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean,
How tsunamis look like?
• Up to 30 meters In
• A series of powerful
How are tsunamis different from
• Not made by wind
• Tsunami’s speed made by water depth
• When tsunami on coast looks like tide rise
• Don’t have season
• Not occur frequently
How do we know if there is going to
be a tsunami?
• Water bubbles
• Sea goes back 200 m.
• Underwater machines
How can we prevent from getting
hurt in a tsunami?
• If tsunami watch check news
• Get canned food & glass water bottles
• Abandon belongings
• Move to high grounds
• Climb and hold on to tree
• If on boat go 2 miles away from shore
• Wait until clear all sign
How are tsunamis changing earth’s
physical features and the life it
• Are products of earth’s physical features
• May change river’ course over millions of
• 1000 of human are killed
• Buildings, monuments, houses torn apart
• People left homeless
• Formed by earthquake
• Tsunami measures 25
• Raise sea level in
California and New
• Killed 300,000 in near
• No tsunami Watch
• Earthquake felt in:
http://whyfiles.org/068tsu Thailand, India
• World War = 2 megatons of TNT
tsunami = 6 megatons of TNT
• Tsunami power=10 atomic bombs
• Dogs bark frequently if earthquake
• Elephants head to high grounds
• Fish jump out of water or go o the depths
• It can travel Pacific Ocean in 24 hours
• Tsunami Death Wave By Margo Sorenson
Published by 1997 Cover To Cover Books