MY BROTHER SAM IS DEAD (46-60)
Rebelliousness (51) Ramrod (59)
1. Why was the gun named Brown Bess? (17)
2. Why were the Rebels so anxious to get the Meekers’ gun? (48)
3. Explain what the soldier meant when he said, “Not everybody is willing to play
the dog to the king.” (50)
4. Why didn’t Sam go to save his father from the soldiers? Do you think Sam had
not forgotten his fight with his father? (57)
5. What did Sam’s story reveal about discipline in the army?
6. Why do you think Sam went back to the tavern? Why did he run away again?
7. Tim said.”…anybody who joined the army to fight couldn’t be a coward.” (58)
Do you agree or disagree? Why?