Docstoc

Oleville

Document Sample
Oleville Powered By Docstoc
					                                       Senate Agenda
                                6:30 PM – 28 February 2012
                                David E. Johnson Boardroom




Meeting


I. Call to Order


II. Roll Call


III. Approval of Minutes


IV. New Business
            A. Lutefest Budget Proposal by Noah Anderson and Catherine Haines


V. Adjournment


Post-Meeting Business


5 min recess


                                                                                1
Attendance
Approval of the Minutes
Faculty Life- If you know of an interested party please let me know.
New Business:
Tonight we will have a quick meeting now so the budget proposal can go through now, be tabled
and be voted at a second meeting to follow this one.
McKinney: Move to suspend the rules
Pass
Wagnild: Senators Haines and Anderson will be presenting on the budget for Lutefest.
Haines: As you know my subcommittee is trying to restructure Lutefest to try something new to
make it go soother than in the past. My big idea long with other things is to have a big event at
night. We think this would promote less drinking during the day and prevent people from starting
earlier in the day. This proposal is to ask for funds for this big event. Due to the legalities in
programming we do not know the exact amount required to secure a contract and cannot divulge
the names of potential events. The proposal is somewhat vague but $24,000 is the ceiling.
Anderson: We are getting the money from a various smattering of locations. We can’t take it
from capital improvements or emergency funds. We have money tucked away in various places.
From stipends there is $3700 left. The money that is there would be moved on to next year. We
are moving $3000 from that. Collegiate Readership will have $14,500 pulled. For SGA Admin,
since admin doesn’t have any big programming items that need to be taken care of, we will pull
$6500. There is a chance the $24000 will not all be used in which case we will return what is left
to SGA Admin, potentially a bit given to Collegiate Readership.
Haines: The proposals for the budget to be moved into the SAC budget will be a temporary
move- there is no line item in the budget.
Anderson: If this does go well and we want to do this again in future years it would be a part of
SAC’s budget for Lutefest.
McDermott: Senator Anderson, why is there such a surplus from Collegiate Readership? Could it
be generally be put to better use? Will there be a lack of circulation of newspapers?
Anderson: Last year we had an $8000 surplus. The price increased but we decreased our
subscriptions for this year. With the surplus from last year in addition to the money spent this
year, there was such a large surplus created. We could reconsider the Collegiate Readership
program.
Obermann: What genre might it be?
Anderson: I don’t think you can ask that.

                                                                                                    2
Haines: If this falls through we will have to go in a different direction.
McKinney: Is it music? Is it a performer? How can we vote on this assuming it will reduce the
amount of drinking if we don’t know the type of act?
Haines: Due to the large amount of money we are asking for, it will be a substantial
performance…
Mckinney: You can’t tell me it’s a music performer, hypnotist…
Anderson: No.
Scwirtz: Is there historical senate precedence on making a shift like this?
Anderson: In my time on senate I don’t think we’ve moved around quite this much money.
We’ve had money moved from the emergency fund to rescue struggling branches but never
something to replace a line item.
Haines: looking at other schools, there was a school in MN that had an event similar to Lutefest
that was going downhill fast. They went in the direction we are looking to go in and it’s a
completely different event now.
Riley: Is the date set?
Haines: May 5th, yes.
Riley: One idea might be, be it this event or another pause dance, to have it on Friday night. Last
Monday people talked about Lutefest and we talked about change- we know how to handle
drunk kids and we know how to handle pause dances. Also I don’t think people should worry
about who the band is- PAC get s big budget to spend on whoever they want. This is not that
much different from what they want.
Kihs: I’m on the Lutefest subcommittee. This is something we’ve been planning, thinking about
and brainstorming on since the first senate meeting. We’ve considered the fact that Lutefest the
past four or five years has gone really really badly. People aren’t aware of the damage. We want
to drastically change the culture surrounding Lutefest and that is our plan for this event. Given
the sum of money I think we considered the “drinking crowd”, and the “non-drinking crowd”-
we considered the whole student body.
Dean Kneser: I wasn’t aware there as another school that dealt with this- I’d like to follow up on
this. There is not this event will make the change as to whether or not this will impact people’s
drinking patterns. What it will do is make for a really great day. What needs to change are off-
campus communities’ perceptions of having huge parties to drive students to be rude in the
neighborhood. Also the perception in the res halls that the day is about going nuts. This proposal
is something that could create a great day. It will not necessarily address the drinking issues. This
may be one slice of a pie but it’s just one slice. There might be seven other slices that are more
important.


                                                                                                   3
Rakke: I would like to dispel some concerns- I know this very vague but we have been working
on this since the beginning of the school and we could like you to put your trust in us.
Bishop: we’ve talked about the Friday night event but the highlighter event is the following
weekend- but it is definitely a good thing and we are thinking about something for the previous
night. In regards to not being able to mention the name, we have taken your suggestions into
consideration. Even though we cannot give specifics, we have been listening.
Johnson: Are there any other specifics other than the event that we can talk about? Anything that
you are trying to spend money on that would stop kids from drinking?
Haines: We have to move really fast-
Johnson: Is this $24000 for just this one aspect?
Haines: Yes.
Alveshere: I think the amount is something that is holding up senators. Other programming
senators- how much do you spend?
Skaggs: Fall concert costs $34,000, spring concert costs about $24,000. This is a reasonable
number. If it’s below $20,000 it’s someone who is just getting started.
Haines: This price is all-inclusive- transportation and hotel.
Riley: The PAC fall speaker is $35,000 plus expenses.
Watt: Move to table.
Riley: Second
Pass
Tabled (until our “next” meeting).
Move to adjourn
Second
Adjourn




                                                                                                  4
                                       Senate Agenda
                                6:30 PM – 28 February 2012
                                David E. Johnson Boardroom




Meeting II


I. Call to Order


II. Roll Call


III. Old Business
            A. Lutefest Budget Proposal by Noah Anderson and Catherine Haines


IV. New Business
          A. Take Back the Tap Proposal by Zac Rakke


V. Reports and Announcements


VI. Hill Hype


VII. Good Times
                                                                                5
VIII. Senator of the Week


IX. Adjournment


Post-Meeting Business


Sub-Committee Meetings
Old Business:
Lutefest Programing
Laven: We have $14,000 in College Readership- that is a lot! We have known about it but kept it
because if we wanted to try out a new program and wanted some extra funds. The subcommittee
is making recommendations to the CR programs. If we make this decision we wouldn’t be able
to do anything with it this year. I am in favor of using it for the programming but I thought I
would point that out.
Johnson: Mote to PQ
Second
Pass
Vote
Pass
The money will be transferred.
New Business:
Take back the Tap!
Move to suspend the rules
Second
Pass
Rakke: Take back the Tap (TBTT)
We are a subgroup of the environmental coalition.

                                                                                              6
Presentation on TBTT
Objective: Wish senate to pass a referendum that would allow students to vote to ban bottled
water on the St. Olaf campus.
Questions:
Goetsch: I’m wondering who will pay for these alternative solutions, specifically the filtered
water stations?
TBTT: Social innovation grants- someone in the environmental coalitions applied for that to look
at tray-less possibilities. I’m not sure if Bon App would be willing to pay for it but also Steve
Abbot said he would be willing to use their budget to fund this.
Goetsch: I know the only instance when I buy bottled water is when I forget to bring my bottle?
Am I using my cage dollars to buy reusable bottles?
TBTT: Good question! Hopefully we will use compostable cups.
McKinney: I was wondering if you are going to continue taste testing and informing the student
body how they impact the world? Will there be a push for the admin to get rid of the bottled
water?
TBTT: Even if this ref. passes we are looking to keep doing public awareness. We want to raise
issue about the social problems surrounding bottled water. We are looking to taste test and to
raise awareness of the dangers of bottled water. I am also in touch with someone up at Mac who
has been giving us awesome useful information- we are hoping to collaborate on world water
day. That way we could put this issue on a global issue. We are hoping to get a screening of a
documentary called “Tap”.
Anderson: You said that they would be about $40-$50 dollars per machine. Monthly fee? Where
else would you place them?
TBTT: Spaces in admission, levels 2 and 4 in Regents. Academic, music and common buildings.
Anderson: Looking at St. Bens and Mac, what was the timeline of implementation?
TBTT: At Mac it took about two years. St. Bens had more problems with the college republican
group who would go out and distribute bottled water.
Anderson: As far as special exceptions go, would you likely purchase water off campus as
needed?
TBTT: I think events would be catered by Bon Ap. If the “Ole Water” goes through, that will be
our primary resource.
Anderson: Bag lunches?
TBTT: We are thinking to put a station on the bag lunch line.

                                                                                                  7
O’Neil: I am in support of this- I’m curious as to what impact a student referendum has? Will
this make a difference? There’s already several efforts going on- what difference does this
referendum make?
TBTT: This referendum would reach the people we haven’t been able to reach. If it’s passed it
would tell administration that the students are really in support of this.
O’Neil: I wanted to say I agree with the comment about the plastic cups at the stations-
TBTT: Randy said that 3000 cups are used per week. It’s unacceptable. They are a service
oriented group- they will provide what students want. They will have to keep providing them- we
are working on posters to keep it up. There’s also a subgroup that is going through all the trash
cans now and pulling out all the cups to work on a display. They are also using a drive in
Northfield- they are going to ask people to donate reusable bottles.
Musatto: Pass
Obermann: If this referendum comes to the student body, what percentage of students need to
vote for it to be effective?
TBTT: Two thirds. No matter what we get, if it passes or not, what we will look at is the actual
percentage.
Obermann: It’s going to be around Earth Day- Do you think more people would vote if it was
brought up in elections?
TBTT: We’ve only been working on this this semester and were worried we didn’t have enough
time to give it enough publicity.
Obermann: What are some of the larger events?
TBTT: We mentioned getting “Tap” shown. We are hoping to get a speaker to come in- maybe
from Mac. Having more taste tests. Having a sculpture of bottled water. Three years ago there
was the “elephant in the room” made of alcohol bottles.
Haines: Regarding the other schools that have done this ban- are they on full ban?
TBTT: Mac is on a full ban. I’m not sure about St. Bens. If we went for it, we would be one of
three schools in MN and one of twenty schools in the US to do this.
Haines: Did Mac start out as a partial ban or..
TBTT: Cold turkey.
Braun: Regarding the vote of the student body- 66% of the entire student body?
TBTT: 66% of the people that vote.
Braun: Ole water- can you explain this a little bit more? Do people wash the bottles and they get
redistributed?

                                                                                                   8
TBTT: It’s still being developed..
Braun: What do you think about doing the partial ban? Are you happy with that? If you are going
to pan bottled water we should ban it. If we say “no sales, no distribution”, what message is that
giving?
TBTT: We would love to have a complete total ban and that is our goal, but we were told a phase
out period would be very necessary. We also have a five year contract with Coke but if the
Senate thinks that could be crossed off.
TBTT: We looked into that possibility of the resource cost- there could be a little bit of a higher
resource cost over the bottled water. It’s a risk and for the environmental reasons it’s a question
but we should think about the social consequences of bottled water.
Johnson: Similarly, on the Ole Water topic. I know it’s not your idea but I’m curious why we
could get rid of Dasani on campus only to replace them with Coke? Is there another company?
TBTT: That is not under our control- we do have a contact with coke. When we did the
Pepsi/Coke challenge it was too close. Unfortunately the circumstances ruled that they renewed
the contract at the end of last year. We want to renegotiate this- if future students think it would
be worth it to renegotiate we could bring it up.
Johnson: If we decided to ban water and support water bottles and give them to students, would
it have to be Coke?
TBTT: That is our only option because, since we are in a contract with Coke, we have a price
discount.
McKinney: Dasani is locally bottled municipal tap-water. I was wondering- what if you put the
filters by the vending machines to increase awareness. Also, I wanted to say that if you want to
pass this referendum I think it would be a good idea to increase education before it would
happen. I wanted to point out that if you pass out the bottles out for ole water at the beginning of
the year, it could be like the “book”, something that might not be used to its full potential. You
could have students request it.
Lipo-Zovic: I had a question about your contact with the administration. Did you run into anyone
who was not supportive?
TBTT: Matt McDonald who is the athletic department head. He wasn’t unsupportive but for
outdoor events it could become a safety and health issue. Risk of dehydration for the young and
elderly. I am contacting a health person from Mac. They seem to have gotten around it by having
some spigot to a big hose. He had several suggestions. Bookstore: He wasn’t really supportive of
it but he was wary of the cost because they have to make money. Maybe we could have
promotions on water bottles sold in the bookstore.
Adams: Woo! Freshmen representation! I wanted to give a comment and two questions- I am
very much in support of this. From someone who has just gone through the college search myself
the sustainability factory is huge. Many signs of sustainability on-campus: the windmill, regents.

                                                                                                       9
This would be a really unique and great tool to draw students. I know you said you would be
putting bottled water taps in? Could this happen by the end of the year?
TBTT: Unfortunately this will take time. They are looking to do this early next year. There aren’t
any drinking fountains in Melby and other dorms. If they are going to improve some of those we
would want them to include a spigot.
Adams: There are lots of different ways that you could make this profitable but I was thinking –
not only is bottled water a problem but also coke, pop etc. what about increasing the sales of
powdered drinks? They will put that in the water bottle. That would be a unique way to cut down
on the use of plastic while appealing to student wants.
TBTT: We will look into that. Water should be free to all.
Adams: I could see a college that bans all bottles.
Riley: I’m introducing an amendment. This could be a cool Earth Day event. It’s really radical. I
think you’re right but oftentimes when you are right you can’t think about how others might
think you aren’t right. What I would propose we do is not ban it in the cage but a $0.75 tax in the
cage and the money could go to the environmental coalition. Because people like Coke more
than Pepsi- you might not hear people say they are. This is such a teaching thing- you are doing
this to practice environmental on a small scale deal. A large scale would be through taxes. People
need to practice voting for taxes on things that are environmentally harmful. I carry around little
bottled waters only because they are free at bag lunch. When you increase the price people are
less likely to buy it. It would raise a good amount of money you could use for cool stuff. It would
give it a serious funding source. Any use would be made up for by the tax.
Second on the amendment.
McDermott: Don’t you think that all this is going to do is that people will pay it but not feel the
repercussions. I think you think in a very political way but can you generalize this to the student
body as a whole learning how to tax themselves? The people who do feel the increase, won’t that
just drive them to using the plastic cups?
Riley: That is not a disadvantage to this amendment (plastic cups). There are additional net
benefits to this that are not a part of the proposal i.e. we could raise money to do cool
environmental things. I think all the arguments you make for the tax would carry through.
O’Neil: I have questions as to whether we are allowed to set a tax on something sold in the cage
and have the profits come to us?
Jackson: POI- I don’t think you can.
Riley: It’s all a suggestion anyway.
O’Neil: I find that unlikely- I see the student body might pass it as a referendum but.. We would
make money and they would lose the profits from the bottled water. Also the tax makes it a
negative thing- make it a positive thing. Banning due to social and environmental repercussions
is one thing, taxing is another. I would be hesitant to add this.
                                                                                                10
Adams: I think it’s a great idea. It’s using economics. One thing I wanted to raise is it would in
some ways take off the symbolic factor. Speaking to the affluent members of campus- do you
think it would be noticed?
Riley: If they do buy it, then they will be saying it is worth the trade off. It’s a teaching moment.
Not submitting themselves to a tax- you are able to still be a good person- bring the bottle- and
when you don’t you can pay.
Rakke: I don’t think we have the legality to do this and I- we- are trying to eliminate bottled
water altogether. We are not trying to keep it around.
Freeman: I don’t think the senate body has the power to do this. The cage giving funds to us-
putting it in an environmental fund? Do we have one? A $0.75 tax won’t have as nice of a ring to
it at a referendum.
Stumo-Langer: Having an environmental fund reap benefits from this would be irresponsible to
have a $0.75 tax, especially as the point is to make clear that water should be free to everyone.
Obermann: I find this idea interesting. I think that given the complexity of this I don’t see how
we can vote on this- we should table this and do research, then vote it. I think it could be a great
idea but we don’t have the research to do this. Could we do a straw poll to see where senate
stands?
Obermann: Move to a straw poll.
Second
Riley: POI- Will we have to table this anyway? Can it be passed tonight?
Wagnild: Yes.
Alveshere: It CAN be tabled.
Schwirtz: Even if legally it was possible, it would be impossible for us to levy this tax. It does
not seem to be what SGA does. We promote policies that are helpful to students. I don’t think
it’s SGA’s job to learn to vote for taxes.
Skaggs: How would the ban on bottled water be in place with this? Would it replace the ban?
Riley: Only in the cage would this be a possibility.
Lipo-Zovic: I think this isn’t a ban in this case- if people wanted a water they wouldn’t go to the
cage and wouldn’t think about the tax. I also think we could use the total ban with the special
circumstances to teach environmental consciousness. The tax would not do this. While I do
respect the idea of the taxes that are in the real world, people wouldn’t necessarily take that and
extrapolate it.
Musatto: I am hesitant to add on this amendment because a semi-ban and tax does not sit well
with the student body. It’s a contrasting idea to have this tax go towards an environmental thing
off of something that is not helping the environment.
                                                                                                11
Watt: PQ
Second
Pass
Vote
Fail
Return to original speakers list
Freeman: What percent of the student body voted in the student elections?
Laven: 60%
Freeman: How are you planning to conduct your referendum?
TBTT: We are not sure- Isn’t that something that comes out of the senate.
POI: It can go on Oleville.
Wagnild: It will be separate from the spring elections.
Bishop: I don’t think the way you described it is the way it works- Coke contract.
TBTT: Talking to Abbott- if we decide to stop selling water we can do that if we start selling the
Ole Water bottles. If we as a student population stop patronizing the vending machines, it will no
longer be profitable for coke to keep them here and coke will take them out.
Bishop: So there’s the vending machines issue, but with the cage/bookstore issue..
TBTT: I think the cage can pull out coke products.
Bishop: Say it is passed- isn’t it up to the organization if they want to follow the referendum.
TBTT: Eventually we want it to come from the college higher-ups. We want support from the
people selling water and from the administration. We wanted to start to the grassroots level.
Bishop: You should talk to the Pause.
Stumo-Langer: Pass
Obermann: Pass
Skaggs: Robb
Rakke: Move to PQ
SECOND
Pass
                                                                                                   12
Move to a vote
Pass
Reports and Announcements:
Laven: Elections are next week.
Watt: What what.
Laven: MEC is the only branch that is having a primary.
Alveshere: Faculty Governance is looking ahead to our own members to fill up the committee.
We are trying to fill a vacancy on faculty life. We are missing two members currently. We are
still digesting the information about the non-tenure track survey.
Wilkenson: In Curriculum Committee we spent most of the time talking about ACM programs-
would outside programs replace Olaf interim trips?
Xia: Pass
Anderson: I’m going to move money.
BORSC: Pass
McKinney: We have a male representative on hall council. Planning the Melby Murder mystery.
We have an environmental rep.
Bishop: Pause- we have the new shamrock shake starting this March. We are sticking with the
chicken alfredo pizza. The only other update is we are redecorating the green room- we realized
none of the paint we could use would look good unless we changed the carpets. Facilities will
have it changed in the next month.
Haines: Question: how long will the greenroom not be able to be used?
Bishop: It will be functional 24/7.
Ehm: Oriental trading- limbo set, 4 black lights, volleyball net, and over 500 beach balls on
Friday. Sunglasses are required attire. There will be a live dj.
Lipo-Zovic: We had our pre-casino night event. We haven’t had another meeting yet.
Braun: Ytterboe had a surprise Oscar night.
Freeman: Talent show- all of you missed out except for Liza. We started planning our Hoyme
formal thing.
Stumo-Langer: We had a speed dating event on Friday. We helped with dealers and casino night
set-up.
Schwirtz: Hill-Kit is making preparations to buy kitchen utensils for future residents.
                                                                                                13
Musatto: Blanket fort was a success. We had smores. It was really good. Karen wasn’t here but
our sub-committee had our alcohol uncensored. It went really well. It generated a lot of
discussion.
Obermann: Pursing the idea of getting more course descriptions on SIS. It would look good if the
faculty presented it to other faculty members. Hopefully next week we will be voting on a letter
to the faculty. It’s pretty much perfect.
Thorson: Found $140- we now can fully fund food for finals!
Rakke: Thanks for the support on TBTT. GreenWars is ending tomorrow. Results in by next
week. No Power Hour at the Green house. 150 people in our house. Other than that, planning
Earth Week.
Kish: Pass.
Liebenson: This weekend was the Polar Bear Plunge. It was a huge success and we raised a lot of
awareness about the Special Olympics.
Skaggs: The spring concert reveal started yesterday. Also this year Lutefest- bands are being
auditioned. Put your vote in for MEC primary.
Haines: SAC- we are having Breaking Dawn playing in Viking. Also our big SAC event is
Shihan- slam poet. 7pm. He made me cry. He was recently in an Adidas commercial.
Cunningham: On March 14th we will be having the Largest Form of Silence. I’d like to see you
all there. Harambee is pressing forward to having our summit. That will be March 31st. I’m
working with people in my constituency because on Friday we got wind of memes that were
racially insensitive. There’s a lot of conversation going on about that.
Adams: Ellingson is busy as usual. One of the main initiatives is putting a pathway to Buntrock.
Students came to me with concerns of safety and muddiness. Ellingson is confirming the date to
an outreach event at a local hospital.
Riley: Next PAC event is Day at the Capitol. This is the coolest thing PAC does- you are
actually being a part of a grassroots lobbying movements. You talk with representatives and they
listen to you. You can sign up on Oleville beforehand. Your professors will all know you are
politically active and engaged.
Schwirtz: When is the deadline?
Riley: I don’t know- March 8th? We just need a rough estimate. But please participate!
C-S: We are working on our spring event which will be on May 11th.
Pelicci: Pass.
Gui: Passed $9000 to sports teams.
Bishop: How long is the meeting?
                                                                                                14
Gui: Longer than this.
Jackson: Election things-
Watt: Took pictures
Johnson: Favorite exec folks prezi to come out hopefully tomorrow.
-Talk of hope-
Dittmann: We had the etiquette dinner last week for SAA. It was a big success.
McDermott: Honor House applications are due soon- if you have questions about that process
you can talk to me.
Wagnild: Jon and Megan and I talked with Marci this morning and she is very excited about
having extra information go on SIS. She thinks it could happen soon! Elections.. Keep an eye out
for videos that will come out on Thursday.
Hill Hype
Anderson: Cole Steigler’s recital- 2 pm Sunday in Urness.
FUN
Obermann: The St. Olaf Chinese choir was this Sunday but they will be at Carleton and our
pronunciation will show them up.
Snaps
Bishop: Saturday afternoon- need something to do? Go to Carleton for an all day fundraiser for
Haiti. This weekend is Fine Arts admission weekend. Many musicians, dancers and theater
people.
Haines: My sister will be on campus.
McKinney: Women’s hockey made it to the finals- playing Bethel.
Adams: The mind-body student organization- an alternative and holistic medicine org on
campus. They will be having monthly dinners talking about related topics. The first dinner will
be this Sunday about pharmic-economics. 6-7 in one of the Buntrock rooms.
Wagnild: We got a nice note from the Students Support Services center. (Reads aloud)
Snaps
Good times
Rakke: Top three winners:
3rd place: John Schwirtz

                                                                                              15
2nd place: Senator Musatto
1st place: Senator Johnson


KAYAK commercial
Senator of the Week: Cunningham
Jackson: Move to adjourn.
SECOND
Adjournment




                                  16

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:6
posted:7/15/2012
language:
pages:16