Main purpose of the job
To maintain and contribute to the effective running of the library and learning support service
within the Academy, working under the direction of the Librarian.
Reports to: Librarian
Grade/salary scale: Scale D
1. To maintain an attractive and orderly environment in the library.
2. To maintain accurate records of books/resources issued/returned, using a
3. To assist with the pursuit of overdue resources
4. To assist with the booking system for use of the Library
5. To ensure technical equipment is maintained in good working order, organising repair
and replacement as necessary.
6. To use appropriate Academy procedures order/replenish stocks and materials in
liaison with The Librarian.
7. To catalogue and classify books and other resources.
8. To assist pupils and staff to find books and information.
9. To assist with organising quizzes/games to encourage student use of the Library.
10. To supervise individuals/small groups of students in the library
11. To make the library attractive and accessible to pupils and staff, including provision
of displays, guidance and publicity materials.
12. To assist with the collection of cash and handling cheques (e.g. for book clubs)
All Academy staff are expected to:
a. Undertake other such reasonable duties as may be required from time to time
b. Work towards and support the Academy’s vision and the objectives.
c. Support and contribute to the Academy’s responsibility for safeguarding students.
d. Work within the Academy’s health and safety policy to ensure a safe working
environment for staff, students and visitors
e. Work within the Academy’s Diversity Policy to promote equality of opportunity for all
students and staff, both current and prospective.
f. Maintain high professional standards of attendance, punctuality, appearance, conduct
and positive, courteous relations with students, parents and colleagues.
g. Engage actively in the performance review process
h. Adhere to Academy policies and procedures as set out in the staff handbook or other
documentation available to all staff.
This job description should be seen as enabling rather than restrictive and will be subject to
regular review. Given the evolving needs of the Academy, flexibility among staff is very
Skills and knowledge
Be able to research information through computer/internet Essential
Knowledge of understanding of the Academy’s curriculum Essential
Full knowledge of what resources are available and their uses Essential
Have knowledge and understanding of the equipment (AV, projectors, Essential
DVD’s, computers, scanners, digital cameras etc;) equipment
operation and be able to demonstrate to users.
Literacy and numeracy equivalent to NVQ2/O level GCSE/CSE grade 1 Essential
Experience of working in a library or learning resource environment Essential
Be able to supervise students in the library and manage behaviour Essential
Self-motivated and able to work under own direction Essential
Proactive and imaginative in approach to provision and promotion of Essential
library/resource centre services
Ability to liaise confidently with teaching staff and other professionals Essential
Ability to work with young people Essential