Descendants of John Gore
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 GORE was born c 1495, and died c 1575.
Notes for JOHN GORE:
The Name GORE - the word Gara in Old English means a triangular piece of land thus Jon atte Gore was
John who has a triangular piece of land. So Gore - one who lived near, or on, the triangular piece of land;
one who tilled such a piece; one who came Gore (trinagular land) from Dictionary of American Family
Naves by Elsdon C. Smith pg.80.
Children of JOHN GORE are:
2. i. GERARD2 GORE, *, b. 1516, East Ham, Essex, Eng; d. Dec 11, 1607, London.
3. ii. RICHARD GORE, b. c 1520, Waltham Abbey, Essex.
iii. WILLIAM GORE, b. c 1521.
4. iv. THOMAS GORE, b. c 1538, Cardington, Bedford, Eng.
Generation No. 2
2. GERARD2 GORE, * (JOHN1) was born 1516 in East Ham, Essex, Eng, and died Dec 11, 1607 in London.
He married ELLEN (HELEN) DAVENANT 1550, daughter of JOHN DAVENANT, ESQ.. She was born 1518 in
London, Middlesex, Eng, and died Feb 13, 1607/08.
Notes for GERARD GORE, *:
Alderman of London (Burke's Peerage 1900)
Relative: Jacob William PETRY (?Sir William Petry? there is an Essex connexion-perhaps Sir William
settled there because he had family there already, maybe an Uncle?) After all, Gerard married an Essex girl.
More About ELLEN (HELEN) DAVENANT:
Burial: 8 sons, 8 daughters
Children of GERARD GORE and ELLEN DAVENANT are:
i. RICHARD3 GORE, b. London, Middlesex, Eng; m. MARY ALBANY.
Notes for RICHARD GORE:
Richard was M.P. for London and died leaving eight daughters.
More About RICHARD GORE:
Burial: They had 7 daughters.
5. ii. JOHN GORE, b. c 1541; d. 1636.
iii. RALPH GORE, b. 1542; m. AGNES YOUNG.
iv. GERARD GORE, b. Jul 1555, London, Middlesex, Eng.
6. v. PAUL GORE, SIR BARONET *, b. c 1560, London, Middlesex, Eng; d. Sep 1629, Magherabegg,
3. RICHARD2 GORE (JOHN1) was born c 1520 in Waltham Abbey, Essex. He married E LIZABETH c 1542.
Children of RICHARD GORE and ELIZABETH are:
i. JOHN3 GORE, b. c 1542; m. EMMA ABBOTT.
ii. RICHARD GORE, b. c 1544.
iii. ELIZABETH GORE, b. c 1555, Essex, Eng; m. EDMUND BARTTELOT.
4. THOMAS2 GORE (JOHN1) was born c 1538 in Cardington, Bedford, Eng. He married C ATHERINE
Child of THOMAS GORE and CATHERINE GILDAS is:
7. i. JOHN3 GORE, b. Feb 2, 1560/61, Cardington, Bedford, Eng.
Generation No. 3
5. JOHN3 GORE (GERARD2, JOHN1) was born c 1541, and died 1636. He married H ESTER CAMPBELL.
Notes for JOHN GORE:
Lord Mayor of London 1624. 4th son Ancestor of Earl Tem. descendant family of Gore-Langton of
Newton Park, and Gore of Barrow Court, county Somerset.
Children of JOHN GORE and HESTER CAMPBELL are:
8. i. WILLIAM4 GORE, d. 1662, Morden, Surrey & Barrow Court, Somerset.
ii. JOHN GORE, SIR, d. 1659, Gilstone, Herts (Geldestone); m. BRIDGET HARINGTON.
Notes for JOHN GORE, SIR:
Ancestor of Earl Tem from: Burke's Peerage
More About JOHN GORE, SIR:
6. PAUL3 GORE, SIR BARONET * (GERARD2, JOHN1) was born c 1560 in London, Middlesex, Eng, and died
Sep 1629 in Magherabegg, donegal, Ireland. He married ISABELLA WYCLIFFE c 1597 in Ireland, daughter
of FRANCIS WICKLIFFE. She was born 1564 in Ireland.
Notes for PAUL GORE, SIR BARONET *:
Manor Gore, Ireland (Donegal).
Brother was Lord May or London, his father was an Alderman in London (q.v.) as a Captain of Horse,
settled in Ireland during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I. Obtained large territorial grants which he
condensed into a manor by name of Manor Gore Created a Baronet of Ireland Feb 2, 1621. Had six sons
and seven daughters.
Pynnar's Survey 1618 A.D. of the Land Grants Given in 1608, Barony of Raphoe mentions 'Town of
Donegall.' Fort built by Captain Bassill Brooke. Two miles from thence Captain Paul Goare has erected a
stone house out of the ruins of O'Boyles old castle upon the sea side.
Paul the youngest son of Gerard Gore went to Ireland and his line is carried out in Burke's Peerage,
Baronage and Knightage page 824.
More About PAUL GORE, SIR BARONET *:
Burial: Abbey Church, donegal, Ireland
Children of PAUL GORE and ISABELLA WYCLIFFE are:
i. ELIZABETH4 GORE, m. ALEXANDER WYER.
9. ii. RALPH GORE, SIR 2ND BART., b. 1597; d. Feb 1, 1659/60.
iii. SIDNEY GORE, b. 1598; m. LEWIS WINGFIELD.
iv. ISABELLA GORE, b. c 1599; m. HUMPHREY GALBRAITH.
10. v. PAUL GORE, CAPT.*, b. c 1600, Donegal Co., Ireland/England/Scotland; d. c 1680, Manor Gore.
vi. GERARD GORE, b. 1601, London, Middlesex, Eng.
vii. ANGEL GORE, b. c 1602.
viii. CHARLES GORE, CAPT., b. c 1603.
Notes for CHARLES GORE, CAPT.:
Other Cromwellian landholders included Captaing Charles Gore, Lt. Christopher Mathews, Sir George
Askew, Sir Henry Pierce, Captain Thomas Tomlins, Theophilus Eaton, Colonel Oliver Wheeler, Sir
Charles Wheeler, Sir John Temple, Captain John Jones, Charles Hewetson, Sir Francis Gore, Captain
Isaac Jackson, Oliver Tallent, Captain Anthony Stampe, Allen Tench, John Jessop, Colonel Francis
Willoughby, Captain Thomas Evans, Captain Henry Webb, Major Joseph Deane, Captain Bryan
Mansergh, John Hurd, Maudlin Fisher, Major Thomas Adams, Captain George Bishop, Robert Mihill,
Nathaniel Cooper, Christopher Render, Sir George Hamilton, Christopher Lovett, John Ashburnham,
Sir William Petty, Captain William Shore, among others.
ix. ROBERT GORE, b. c 1604, Repton, Derbyshire, Eng; m. KATHERINE HYDE, c 1629, Hinton Dabney,
Hampshire, Eng; b. Oct 27, 1608, Repton, Derbyshire, Eng; d. 1682.
x. LETTICE GORE, b. c 1605; m. ARCHIBALD ERSKINE.
xi. THOMAS GORE, b. c 1607.
xii. HENRY GORE, b. c 1609.
11. xiii. ARTHUR GORE, SIR 1ST BART., b. c 1610; d. Dec 20, 1697, Newtown Gore, Mayo Co., Ireland.
xiv. FRANCIS GORE, KNIGHT, b. c 1612; d. Artaman, Sligo Co., Ireland; m. ANNE PARKE.
Notes for FRANCIS GORE, KNIGHT:
Ancestor of Sir Robert Gore-Booth
"Just prior to 1641, the majority of landed proprietors in County Kilkenny were Catholics of anglo-Norman descent.
See 1640 Landowner Map. By the end of the seventeenth century this class had largely been replaced
by New English Protestant landlords, many of whom were Cromwellian officers, soldiers and
supporters whose pay had been satisfied by land grants. Still a large part of Kilkenny was controlled by
the Duke of Ormond and other Butler lands. Among the more prominent New English landed gentry
were Colonel John Ponsonby. Colonel William Warden, Captain James Stopford, Lord Arthur
Ranelagh, Sir Algernon May, John Peck, Thomas Hewetson, Captain Joseph Cuffe, the Countess of
Mountrath, Colonel Daniel Redmond, Thomas Lestrange, Sir Charles Meredith, Lt. Arthur St. George,
Sir Christopher Wandesford, Lord Vaus, Captain William Halsey, and the Duke of York.
7. JOHN3 GORE (THOMAS2, JOHN1) was born Feb 2, 1560/61 in Cardington, Bedford, Eng. He married
MARGARET CLOPTON. She was born in Eaton Soccon, Bedford, and died in Cardington, Bedford, Eng.
Child of JOHN GORE and MARGARET CLOPTON is:
12. i. JOHN4 GORE, b. 1595, Waltham Abbey, Essex Co., Eng; d. Waltham Abbey, Essex Co., Eng.
Generation No. 4
8. WILLIAM4 GORE (JOHN3, GERARD2, JOHN1) died 1662 in Morden, Surrey & Barrow Court, Somerset. He
married JANE SMITH.
Child of WILLIAM GORE and JANE SMITH is:
13. i. THOMAS5 GORE, SIR, d. 1675.
9. RALPH4 GORE, SIR 2ND BART. (PAUL3, GERARD2, JOHN1) was born 1597, and died Feb 1, 1659/60. He
married ANNE CAUFIELD, daughter of W ILLIAM CAULFIELD and MARY KING.
Notes for RALPH GORE, SIR 2ND BART.:
Eldest son, his father's heir (Burke's) but what about Gerard b.1601 did he die in infancy.
Child of RALPH GORE and ANNE CAUFIELD is:
14. i. WILLIAM5 GORE, SIR 3RD BART..
10. PAUL4 GORE, CAPT.* (PAUL3, GERARD2, JOHN1) was born c 1600 in Donegal Co.,
Ireland/England/Scotland, and died c 1680 in Manor Gore.
Notes for PAUL GORE, CAPT.*:
The Gores of Chickasaw Co., are of English-Irish descent. Captain Paul Gore was given an estate in Ireland
by Queen Elizabeth I of England about 1602 and moved there to establish the Irsih branch of the family.
In the mid-1600's, John Gore and James Gore came to America from Ireland. John settled in Massachusetts
and James in what is now Prince George Co., Maryland. In 1711 and 1714, James Gore obtained land
grants from the Colonial Government of Maryland for land on Rock Creek and Piney Branch, which is now
almost in the middle of Washington, D.C., and for other land on the Potomac River.
by James S. (Jimmy) Gore and Katie Scott Funderburk
Children of PAUL GORE, CAPT.* are:
15. i. ESQUIRE OF LONDON JOHN5 GORE,**, b. 1638, Middlesex Co., VA; d. 1674, Lancaster Co., VA
ii. WILLIAM GORE, b. 1640
iii. JONATHAN GORE, b. 1645
iv. iv. THOMAS GORE, b. c 1650
v. HENRY GORE, b. c 1655
16. vi. JAMES GORE, I*, b. 1662, Ireland; d. 1717, Prince Georges county, MD
vii. MARY GORE, b. c 1664
viii. ELIZABETH GORE, b. c 1666
11. ARTHUR4 GORE, SIR 1ST BART. (PAUL3, GERARD2, JOHN1) was born c 1610, and died Dec 20, 1697 in
Newtown Gore, Mayo Co., Ireland. He married ELEANOR ST. GEORGE, daughter of GEORGE ST. GEORGE
and CATHERINE GIFFORD.
Notes for ARTHUR GORE, SIR 1ST BART.:
Ancestor of the Earls of Arran, and of the Gores of Woodford, Leitrim ( and thus of Lord Harle)
Children of ARTHUR GORE and ELEANOR ST. GEORGE are:
17. i. PAUL5 GORE, d. Oct 20, 1689.
ii. WILLIAM GORE.
iii. LETTICE GORE.
iv. ANNE GORE.
v. ELEANOR GORE, m. EDWARD WINGFIELD.
vi. CATHERINE GORE.
vii. GEORGE GORE, m. BRIDGET SANKEY.
viii. ARTHUR GORE, m. BANNES.
12. JOHN4 GORE (JOHN3, THOMAS2, JOHN1) was born 1595 in Waltham Abbey, Essex Co., Eng, and died in
Waltham Abbey, Essex Co., Eng. He married E LIZABETH WITHEALL. She was born in Waltham Abbey,
Essex Co., Eng, and died in Waltham Abbey, Essex Co., Eng.
Child of JOHN GORE and ELIZABETH WITHEALL is:
18. i. JOHN5 GORE, b. c 1625, Waltham Abbey, Essex Co., Eng; d. c 1685, Roxbury, Mass..
Generation No. 5
13. THOMAS5 GORE, SIR (WILLIAM4, JOHN3, GERARD2, JOHN1) died 1675. He married PHILIPPA TOOKER.
Children of THOMAS GORE and PHILIPPA TOOKER are:
i. ANNE6 GORE, m. STEAR.
ii. JANE GORE, m. RICHARD BASKERVILLE.
iii. EDWARD GORE, m. ARABELLA SMITH.
iv. THOMAS GORE, d. Bef. 1725.
v. WILLIAM GORE, d. 1718.
14. WILLIAM5 GORE, SIR 3RD BART. (RALPH4, PAUL3, GERARD2, JOHN1) He married HANNAH HAMILTON.
Notes for WILLIAM GORE, SIR 3RD BART.:
Burke's Peerage 1900
Children of WILLIAM GORE and HANNAH HAMILTON are:
19. i. RALPH6 GORE, SIR.
ii. WILLIAM GORE.
15. ESQUIRE OF LONDON JOHN5 GORE,** (PAUL4, PAUL3, GERARD2, JOHN1) was born 1638 in Middlesex
Co., VA, and died 1674 in Lancaster Co., VA. He married M ARGARET //. She was born Bet. 1608 - 1631
in Middlesex Co., VA, and died in MIddlesex Co., VA.
Notes for ESQUIRE OF LONDON JOHN GORE,**:
Settled in Massachusetts.
Children of JOHN GORE and MARGARET // are:
i. GERARD6 GORE.
ii. HENRY GORE.
20. iii. JOSEPH GORE, SR., b. Apr 8, 1651, MIddlesex Co., VA; d. Dec 17, 1717, MIddlesex Co., VA.
iv. JOSHUA GORE, b. 1664.
16. JAMES5 GORE, I* (PAUL4, PAUL3, GERARD2, JOHN1) was born 1662 in Ireland/England/Wales, and died
1717 in Prince Georges county, MD. He married M ARY MANON BURKE c 1695 in MD, daughter of JOHN
BURKE. She was born 1670 in Prince Georges county, MD, and died 1769 in Montgomery Co., MD.
Notes for JAMES GORE, I*:
From the "Chicasaw Times Past:" In the mid-1600's, John Gore and James Gore came to America from
Ireland. John settled in Massachusetts and James in what is now Prince George Couty, Maryland. In 1711
and 1714, James Gore obtained land grants from the colonial Government of Maryland for land on Rock
Creek and Piney Branch, which is now almost in the middle of Washington, D.C. and for other land on the
James Gore was married to Mary Burke, who was born in Prince George county, Maryland in 1670. They
had two sons, James II, who was born in 1698, and Thomas, and three daughters, Mary, Elizabeth and a
daughter whose name is unknown.
On Jan. 10, 1711, James leased 75 acres of land lying upon Rock Creek and Potomac River, called the
Vineyard from Mr. William Hutcherson a merchant. At the same session of Court the ear mark for James'
cattle of a cross and three slits in the right ear and a poplar leaf in the left ear.
More About JAMES GORE, I*:
Notes for MARY MANON BURKE:
Notes for Mary Manon: DIR
WFT Vol 7 #2908 list James' wife as Mary Burk.
WFT Vol. 5 #3939
She married Grove Tomlinson about 16 mos. after James death.
Children of JAMES GORE and MARY BURKE are:
21. i. MARY JANE6 GORE, b. Mar 22, 1704/05, Prince Georges Co., MD; d. 1794, Frederick Co., MD.
22. ii. JAMES GORE, II,CAPT.*, b. Nov 7, 1707, Prince Georges Co., MD; d. Oct 29, 1784, Kershaw Co., SC.
23. iii. ELIZABETH GORE, b. 1710, Prince Georges Co., MD; d. Bet. 1734 - 1804.
24. iv. THOMAS GORE, b. 1712, Prince Georges Co., MD; d. 1765, Chester Co., MD.
25. v. RACHEL GORE, b. 1716, Prince Georges Co., MD; d. c 1757, Frederick Co., MD.
17. PAUL5 GORE (ARTHUR4, PAUL3, GERARD2, JOHN1) died Oct 20, 1689. He married ANNE GORE Dec 23,
1682, daughter of JOHN GORE, COUNT OF SACOMBE HERTS. She died May 3, 1725.
Child of PAUL GORE and ANNE GORE is:
26. i. ARTHUR6 GORE, 2ND BART., d. 1741.
18. JOHN5 GORE (JOHN4, JOHN3, THOMAS2, JOHN1) was born c 1625 in Waltham Abbey, Essex Co., Eng,
and died c 1685 in Roxbury, Mass.. He married RHODA GARNDER. She was born c 1625 in Waltham
Abbey, Essex Co., Eng, and died in Roxbury, Mass..
Child of JOHN GORE and RHODA GARNDER is:
27. i. JOHN6 GORE, b. 1647, Cardington, Bedford, Eng; d. Roxbury, Mass..